1st female Air Force combat vet in run for congress

F-15E WSO

Yeah, McCain is always brought up but he had a bad rep in the service and by a lot of the old heads now. GWB was an ANG pilot but didn’t get a physical in time and just sort of faded away. At least he didn’t make his military service the cornerstone of his candidacy like some of these people. George Bush Sr had a hell of a story in the Navy at Midway and gave the country lots of honorable service, including a textbook example of how to conduct a major military operation. So naturally he got voted out after one term. 

I'm a fan of Dan Crenshaw, but I understand there are many who aren't.
I also like Tammy Duckworth, even though I don't share her political views.  I absolutely think she fights for what she believes in and she's there to make the country better.  We just have different ideas of how to do it.

I like them both a lot as well. I am fairly moderate politically with views from both sides depending on the topic. They both have a lot I like and a lot I dislike policy wise, but fully agree that they seem to actually care. I would vote for either of them in a heartbeat over the overwhelming majority of politicians from either side.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Yeah, McCain is always brought up but he had a bad rep in the service and by a lot of the old heads now. GWB was an ANG pilot but didn’t get a physical in time and just sort of faded away. At least he didn’t make his military service the cornerstone of his candidacy like some of these people. George Bush Sr had a hell of a story in the Navy at Midway and gave the country lots of honorable service, including a textbook example of how to conduct a major military operation. So naturally he got voted out after one term. 

When I was at USAFA one of his POW mates told me that they don't talk to McCain, but he wouldn't say more than that. He was a terrible politician. Very similar to Biden IMO, cared more about being a deal maker than about the contents or quality of the deal.

14 hours ago, Ligma said:

Off topic, but is it common for AF pilots to go into politics? There is a ANG pilot in Hawaii who's pretty much a shoe-in for Tulsi Gabbard's seat in Congress.

I would just say pilots are well equipped for it (as are most vet officers from an ops career field) You have the right degree of charisma, government knowledge/expereince, intelligence, aggressiveness and patriotism. 

Being a veteran to some degree gives you an electorate advantage although it's hard to quantify. It certainly doesn't hurt though. And holding a TS means you likely lived a fairly clean lifestyle free of scandal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, Smokin said:

McCain was not well liked.  As mentioned, the fact that his fellow POWs would not talk to him should tell you everything you need to know.

Says a bunch of "POWs Were Left Behind" conspiracy theorists who weren't there. Could you find a few people out of the 500+ that were prisoners who didn't like him? Sure. Bud Day campaigned for him. That's all you need to know.

• Upvote 3

Disagree.  I've never met Pres Trump, but based on what I have seen of him I don't think I would like him personally.  But I agree with enough of his politics that I would campaign for him if I somehow had a reputation that would help his campaign.  Being a good person and being a good politician are unfortunately two different things these days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/26/2020 at 6:37 PM, Smokin said:

McCain was not well liked.  As mentioned, the fact that his fellow POWs would not talk to him should tell you everything you need to know.

He is mentioned in the memoirs of several POWs, including Leo Thorsness (MoH recipient who at one point shared a cell with McCain) , Bud Day, and James Stockdale (also both MoH recipients).  They did not speak ill of him then, nor when he ran for President in 2000 or 2008.  I'm personally going to take the word of three MoH recipients over "some guy my dad knows whose uncle was a POW", or some swiftboat conspiracy theory website that looks like it was designed for free on geocites in 1997. 

Throwing spears at the mans grave is pretty classless, imho.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Just finished  "Lessons From The Hanoi Hilton"....had several friends there.  One spent spent 7 years,  two others only a few.   Met many more over my years attending AF POW reunions at the USAF Academy and Randolph AFB.   With that said, I would not wanted a night there just to say I had "Been there and done that".    Admiral Stockdale (comments from my friends) was outstanding.   So I will not personally comment on how each POW accepted their fate.  "Embrace The Suck" as life often gives us no other choice.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Thought this was an interesting read on Arizona's shift from Red to Blue...

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/jodv7y/with_senate_win_mark_kelly_becomes_4th_astronaut/gb7u03m?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

TL:DR Arizona is a perfect example why racism and persecution based on religious belief, sexual preference etc never works. The more a society inequality rises the faster it is to change rapidly and force a reform.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...