AFRC Force structure changes...

This one's gonna hurt, boys and girls....

http://www.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123288641

Here's a summary of the changes:

"Barksdale AFB, La. - Drawdown one Air Force Reserve Command squadron by retiring 18 A-10 aircraft as part of the FY13 president's budget. Also, retire three other A-10s in fiscal 13 that were previously slated for retirement and awaiting to be transferred. Transfer three remaining A-10s to Whiteman AFB, Mo. End the active associate unit that hosts Regular Air Force Airmen and flies A-10 aircraft with the AFRC A-10 squadron The Air Force Reserve unit that flies B-52 aircraft remains operational at Barksdale.

Dobbins ARB, Ga. - Retire seven C-130H2 aircraft and add 10 C-130J aircraft during FY14.

Keesler AFB, Miss. - Transfer 10 C-130J aircraft to new location in FY14. Although the active associate unit ends as part of the FY13 President's Budget, the Air Force Reserve unit remains operational.

Lackland AFB, Texas - Retire 16 C-5A aircraft from FY13 through FY16. Close the C-5A training school. Add eight C-5M aircraft in FY15.

Little Rock AFB, Ark. - Retire two C-130H2 aircraft in FY17. Unit remains operational.

March ARB, Calif. - Retire one KC-135 aircraft in FY13. Unit remains operational.

Maxwell AFB, Ala. - Drawdown one squadron by retiring seven C-130H2 aircraft in FY14. Unit remains operational.

Minneapolis-St. Paul ARS, Minn. - Drawdown one squadron by transferring eight C-130H3 aircraft in FY 13. The Air Force Reserve unit remains operational even though the air reserve station is transferred from the Air Force Reserve to the Air National Guard.

Niagara Falls, ARS, N.Y. - The air reserve component associate unit - composed of Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard -- ends as part of the FY13 president's budget. The Air Force Reserve retires three C-130H2 aircraft in FY13 and eight more in FY17. However, eight C-130H3 aircraft are planned to be added to the Air Force Reserve unit during FY13.

Pittsburgh ARS, Pa. - Drawdown one squadron by retiring six C-130H2 aircraft and transferring one C-130H2 in FY13. Air Force Reserve operations end and the Pittsburgh Air Reserve Station closes. However, Pittsburgh Air National Guard Base remains open.

Pope Field, N.C. - Retire one C-130H2 aircraft and add one C-130H2 in FY13.

Tinker AFB, Okla. - Retire four KC-135 aircraft in FY13; however, unit remains operational.

Westover ARB, Mass. - Transfer eight C-5Ms in FY16. Unit remains operational.

Youngstown-Warren ARS, Ohio - Retire six C-130H2 aircraft and add four C-130H2.5 aircraft."

Wow - I would have thought Dobbins would close but instead they're getting an upgrade.

I'm not sure I get what is happening at Niagara. The association is ending, but the reserve unit is upgrading. So is the guard unit closing?

How many aircraft remain at Mini and is this goign to be an association or just a single squadron on a guard base?

Mont. Guard gets C-130 mission to replace F-15s

By Ryan Hall - Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune

Posted : Friday Feb 3, 2012 11:54:05 EST

The Montana Air National Guard’s 120th Fighter Wing on Gore Hill is expected to be told Friday that it will be receiving eight C-130 cargo/transport planes to replace the current F-15 fighter jet mission, according to a news release from Gov. Brian Schweitzer’s office.

I don't know but I'm guessing these Herks are going to come from one of the Herk units that are getting shut down. Nothing against Montana but this sounds a lot like the BS that went on in the last BRAC. If we are trying to save money, why not leave these Herks in place and shutdown the 120th. Again, nothing against Montana and I hope they stay open but how is converting a unit and shutting down the same type unit elsewhere saving money? Maybe I'm just simple minded.

Mont. Guard gets C-130 mission to replace F-15s

By Ryan Hall - Great Falls (Mont.) Tribune

Posted : Friday Feb 3, 2012 11:54:05 EST

The Montana Air National Guard’s 120th Fighter Wing on Gore Hill is expected to be told Friday that it will be receiving eight C-130 cargo/transport planes to replace the current F-15 fighter jet mission, according to a news release from Gov. Brian Schweitzer’s office.

I don't know but I'm guessing these Herks are going to come from one of the Herk units that are getting shut down. Nothing against Montana but this sounds a lot like the BS that went on in the last BRAC. If we are trying to save money, why not leave these Herks in place and shutdown the 120th. Again, nothing against Montana and I hope they stay open but how is converting a unit and shutting down the same type unit elsewhere saving money? Maybe I'm just simple minded.

I think they are trying to share the wealth. Depending on which Herk unit you are referring to, it is likely that the state losing the Herks will still have another flying unit. I agree that it doesn't make much fiscal sense.

Here's for you Guard folks:

National Guard News - Air Force announces force structure and mission changes

"The Air National Guard’s changes include:

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson Air Force Base, Alaska – Retire four C-130 Hercules military transport aircraft.

Dannelly Airfield, Ala. – Retire one RC-26 Metroliner military transport aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Ft. Smith, Ark. –Retire 20 A-10 Thunderbolt jet aircraft; Add one MQ-1/9 Reaper Remote Split Operations unit.

Little Rock, Ark. – Retire one C-130H2 (planned in the 2017 fiscal year).

Sky Harbor Air Guard Station, Ariz. – Retire one KC-135 Stratotanker military transport aircraft.

Tucson, Ariz. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Fresno Air National Guard Base, Calif. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft.

Bradley ANGB, Conn. – C-27J Spartan military transport aircraft squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft); add nine to 11 MC-12W Liberty aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Jacksonville, Fla. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Savannah, Ga. – Retire eight C-130H2 aircraft (planned for the 2016 fiscal year); add eight C-130H3 (planned for the 2016 fiscal year).

Robins, Ga. – Retire one E-8 Joint STARS battle management aircraft.

Des Moines, Iowa - Retire 21 F-16 Fighting Falcon jet aircraft; add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

Sioux City AGS, Iowa – Retire one KC-135 aircraft.

Ft Wayne, Ind. – Retire 20 A-10 aircraft; add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Louisville, Ky. – Transfer one C-130H2.5 aircraft.

Warfield AGS, Martin State, Md. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft) ; add ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) Group and expand Net Warfare Squadron.

Selfridge, Mich. – Retire 21 A-10 aircraft; add four KC-135Rs.

Kellogg AGS, Mich. – Retire four C-27J aircraft; add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

Meridian, Miss. – Retire six C-27J aircraft; retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Rosecrans AGS, Mo. –Retire eight C-130H2.5s; transfer two C-130H2.5s aircraft; add eight C-130H3s (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Great Falls, Mont. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft); add eight C-130sH2 (planned in the 2014 fiscal year).

Charlotte, N.C. – Transfer two C-130 (planned for the 2017 fiscal year).

Fargo, N.D. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft).

Kirtland AFB, N.M. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

(Stratton AGS) Schenectady, N.Y. – Retire four C-130H2 aircraft.

(Hancock Field AGS) Syracuse, N.Y. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Mansfield, Ohio – Retire four C-27J aircraft.

Rickenbacker, Ohio – Retire six KC-135 aircraft.

Pittsburgh, Pa. – Retire four KC-135 aircraft.

Willow Grove, Pa. – Add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

McGhee-Tyson, Tenn. – Transfer two KC-135 aircraft.

Carswell, Texas – Transfer eight C-130H2 (planned for the 2014 fiscal year);

add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Fairchild AFB, Wash. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for FY15).

(Shepherd Field AGS) Martinsburg, W. Va. – Retire 11 C-5A Galaxy military transport aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); add eight C-17 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Charleston, W. Va. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); transfer one C-130.

Truax AGS, Wisc. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft.

Gen Mitchell, Wisc. -- Transfer two KC-135 aircraft.

Cheyenne, Wyo. – Transfer one C-130H2.5; Add one C-130H3."

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson Air Force Base, Alaska – Retire four C-130 Hercules military transport aircraft.

Dannelly Airfield, Ala. – Retire one RC-26 Metroliner military transport aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Ft. Smith, Ark. –Retire 20 A-10 Thunderbolt jet aircraft; Add one MQ-1/9 Reaper Remote Split Operations unit.

Little Rock, Ark. – Retire one C-130H2 (planned in the 2017 fiscal year).

Sky Harbor Air Guard Station, Ariz. – Retire one KC-135 Stratotanker military transport aircraft.

Tucson, Ariz. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Fresno Air National Guard Base, Calif. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft.

Bradley ANGB, Conn. – C-27J Spartan military transport aircraft squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft); add nine to 11 MC-12W Liberty aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Jacksonville, Fla. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Savannah, Ga. – Retire eight C-130H2 aircraft (planned for the 2016 fiscal year); add eight C-130H3 (planned for the 2016 fiscal year).

Robins, Ga. – Retire one E-8 Joint STARS battle management aircraft.

Des Moines, Iowa - Retire 21 F-16 Fighting Falcon jet aircraft; add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

Sioux City AGS, Iowa – Retire one KC-135 aircraft.

Ft Wayne, Ind. – Retire 20 A-10 aircraft; add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Louisville, Ky. – Transfer one C-130H2.5 aircraft.

Warfield AGS, Martin State, Md. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft) ; add ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) Group and expand Net Warfare Squadron.

Selfridge, Mich. – Retire 21 A-10 aircraft; add four KC-135Rs.

Kellogg AGS, Mich. – Retire four C-27J aircraft; add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

Meridian, Miss. – Retire six C-27J aircraft; retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Rosecrans AGS, Mo. –Retire eight C-130H2.5s; transfer two C-130H2.5s aircraft; add eight C-130H3s (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Great Falls, Mont. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft); add eight C-130sH2 (planned in the 2014 fiscal year).

Charlotte, N.C. – Transfer two C-130 (planned for the 2017 fiscal year).

Fargo, N.D. – C-27J squadron will not open (loss of four future aircraft).

Kirtland AFB, N.M. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

(Stratton AGS) Schenectady, N.Y. – Retire four C-130H2 aircraft.

(Hancock Field AGS) Syracuse, N.Y. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned in the 2015 fiscal year).

Mansfield, Ohio – Retire four C-27J aircraft.

Rickenbacker, Ohio – Retire six KC-135 aircraft.

Pittsburgh, Pa. – Retire four KC-135 aircraft.

Willow Grove, Pa. – Add one MQ-1/9 RSO unit.

McGhee-Tyson, Tenn. – Transfer two KC-135 aircraft.

Carswell, Texas – Transfer eight C-130H2 (planned for the 2014 fiscal year);

add nine to 11 MC-12W aircraft (planned for the 2014 fiscal year).

Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Fairchild AFB, Wash. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for FY15).

(Shepherd Field AGS) Martinsburg, W. Va. – Retire 11 C-5A Galaxy military transport aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); add eight C-17 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year).

Charleston, W. Va. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft (planned for the 2015 fiscal year); transfer one C-130.

Truax AGS, Wisc. – Retire one RC-26 aircraft.

Gen Mitchell, Wisc. -- Transfer two KC-135 aircraft.

Cheyenne, Wyo. – Transfer one C-130H2.5; Add one C-130H3."

Not a comprehensive list. Doesn't mention the 8 C-17's to Memphis or Nashville losing the Herk and gaining Reapers.

I'm not sure I get what is happening at Niagara. The association is ending, but the reserve unit is upgrading. So is the guard unit closing?

How many aircraft remain at Mini and is this goign to be an association or just a single squadron on a guard base?

Yeah, I'd like to understand what is going on at Niagara too. Why end the association if the net loss is only three C-130s and if the Guard unit is also flying the same airframe?

Gen Mitchell, Wisc. -- Transfer two KC-135 aircraft."

Damnit. I think the Guard is hell bent on making sure nothing is around Chicago anymore.

I think they are trying to share the wealth. Depending on which Herk unit you are referring to, it is likely that the state losing the Herks will still have another flying unit. I agree that it doesn't make much fiscal sense.

I went back and read the article again and realized I missed this part the first time:

“While I continue to believe the decision to relocate the F-15 mission to California is flawed, I am pleased the Air National Guard leadership will, with this decision, recognize the importance and value of the 120th Fighter Wing,” Schweitzer said in the release.

So they are going to send the Montana F-15s to California. Let me guess....probably not an already established F-15 unit that will have to be converted as well. Anyone have the cost estimates to convert a unit to another airframe... :banghead:

I went back and read the article again and realized I missed this part the first time:

“While I continue to believe the decision to relocate the F-15 mission to California is flawed, I am pleased the Air National Guard leadership will, with this decision, recognize the importance and value of the 120th Fighter Wing,” Schweitzer said in the release.

So they are going to send the Montana F-15s to California. Let me guess....probably not an already established F-15 unit that will have to be converted as well. Anyone have the cost estimates to convert a unit to another airframe... :banghead:

Exactly my point. The Guard is losing two airlift squadrons that are already stood up and operational (MD and OH), yet they're going to have to pay to convert two fighter squadrons (MT and CA) one of which will change missions altogether. The financial waste in the name of cost cutting is amazing.

Exactly my point. The Guard is losing two airlift squadrons that are already stood up and operational (MD and OH), yet they're going to have to pay to convert two fighter squadrons (MT and CA) one of which will change missions altogether. The financial waste in the name of cost cutting is amazing.

I know the 120th was pulling alerts down Californyway for awhile. Could be that it'll be cheaper in the long run to just have the jets there rather than sending jets, people, and support down there. Cheaper than relocating/training the unit? Probably not. But lets be honest, the only reason the 120th got Eagles after the first BRAC was because Schweitzer was the guy that gave the Democrats a supermajority. All that attention gave him clout and suddenly Great Falls picks up -15's, greatly increasing the odds of reelection. Just like that BRAC, this one too will probably change dramatically in the next few months...it is an election year.

The financial waste in the name of cost cutting is amazing.

This^^^^

Just like that BRAC, this one too will probably change dramatically in the next few months...it is an election year.

We can only hope. I've been doing my part....letters sent to my Senators and Representatives.

Guest NoleMet

So here's a question. If your unit gets eliminated, what happens to your commitment (presuming you can't find another unit)?

So here's a question. If your unit gets eliminated, what happens to your commitment (presuming you can't find another unit)?

You are given Title 10 orders and serve 50% of the remaining ADSC on AD.

Not totally true, find a unit that will pick you up, could be an easy transfer.

With the potential of a lot of folks looking for a new "home", and the growing number of units not wanting to hire folks with long commutes (qualified or not), it might not be that easy...

Is this Title 10 or an AFI out there?

He's fvckin with ya. Most people find a replacement unit or (check this out) you're released from your commitment. My initial contract specified if I washed out of UPT I'd be released from commitment, not even re-classified to another AFSC in the unit. Plenty of people have walked away inside of their RSC (particularly in the NGB) and units didn't flinch. Bush did it....LOL