HC-130 Info

Are there any current/qualified HC-130 Navs that can expand on capabilities, deployments, quality of life and Nav leadership possibilities in your community? I'm a Strike Eagle SEFE WSO that had back surgery looking to transition (to a non-ejection seat aircraft), but I don't know anyone in your community. My email is mapolus at gmail if that makes it easier.

Thanks,

Smokus

Edited by Smokus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Smokus, I'm not HC's, but I'm Rescue...in 04, my WG/CC was an HC Nav. http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=8851

The job is Rescue...having said that, the majority of what they do downrange is MEDEVAC-related (patient transfers and the like). Occasionally a combat HAAR of the 60s will occur (I've been the recipient of one while on a msn). They may have also done some airdrops of medical supplies, but don't quote me on that.

Community is in the midst of transitioning to the J, so I don't know exactly what the future holds in that community.

The HC's primary role in an MCO is giving gas to the RV. That said, there is a lot of growth in responsibility coming with respect to C2. I would personally like to see the Kings become the experts at the AMC role. After they get that down, there's a push from HC leadership (even currently) to push towards RMC and an offensive weapons capability.

All that said, money's tight and they got slaughtered in the VSP/RIF a couple years ago. So most of the current IPs didn't grow up with senior captain patches running around. So in some sense they're starting from a clean slate, both the good and bad that go with that. If you went that route, you could be in a position to provide an outside the box voice and make an impact, but that's really up to you.

RMC, Rescue mission commander= The Man, responsible for making the pickup happen and all the things that make that possible

MCO, Major Combat Operations= The balloon went up, big war time (ie not Afghanistan)

RV, Recovery Vehicle= The dude who will actually make the pickup

AMC, Airborne Mission Coordinator= The shit filter, the dude responsible to the RMC as an extension of the CAOC/JPRC, who gives the RMC the reach back info he needs to make the mission happen without overloading him with useless info or nagging him with stupid requests. A good AMC is a huge SA builder, a bad one is a black-hole.

• 2 months later...

Hey Bra,

I am currently on the King as a Nav. I will try and give you some insight for what its worth. We actually seem to get alot of ACC's left overs. There are several fast mover types that found their way here for one reason or another. There also seems to be an inordinate amount of FAIPs also; weird. Anyway, Kings are still hackin the mish but the ops tempo has slowed down a bit. The DM unit is pretty much stood down until they completely stand up the J which should happen shortly. Then the Moody unit will take a SLIGHT break and stand up their J program (FYI, the Nav stays on the J and gets called CSO instead). Compared to AMC or AFSOC units that are heavily deployed, the Kings can usually get a way with 120 gone and 360 home if you want. More guys are looking to deploy than guys trying to stay home. The PR (personell recovery) sphere is dynamic for us and I would excpect to see some changes more towards old school SAR and PR (think Vietnam) compared to what we do now because of the J capabilities.

Our currently planes suck and are old and hot as hell all the time. Morale is pretty good and the future is brighter than most I'd say. There is a little talk about us going back to AFSOC instead of ACC (good and bad) but time will tell. In my oppinion there is actually good chance for career progression and leadership. That old saying of "Navs are second class citizens" doesnt really hold true here. There are just as many shop chiefs wearing bug smasher wings as radiator wings. They kept the Nav on the J for a reason. Good luck man and remember, dont be an asshole.

• 5 months later...

Good luck man and remember, dont be an asshole.

Wise words! Thanks for your reply and sorry about my tardiness. I'm about half way through the Gunship FTU at Hurlburt. Awesome place, fantastic location and, best of all, a great community of folks. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for taking the time...

Smokus

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Avoiding moody altogether for an entire career would be near impossible for a number of reasons. 1) the 71RQS at moody is significantly bigger than the 79RQS as DM, 2) they like to PCS people between the units, and 3) they are both part of the 23d wing which is headquartered at moody so any wing level job will be at moody. That said, if you were just looking to do your 6 and out, you would have 1 year gone before you showed up at your squadron, and it may be possible to do 1 term at DM then go be an instructor at Kirtland then punch.

As for the distribution, more go to Moody than DM (see reason 1 above).

All that said, moody is not terrible (especially if married), there are plenty of cool places to go on weekends (anywhere within an 8hr drive can be gone to on a weekend pass, this includes places like Miami, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Panama City, Savannah, etc…) And there are a few nice bars and such in town.

However, I think you will see a little more even distribution for a while since DM has fully converted to the J model, Moody is still transitioning, and Moody has proportionally too many navs/CSO's (nav=P model, CSO=J model) in that it is more than 1 nav/cso for every 2 pilots. But that is just my opinion based on my own observations so take that for what it is worth

WHat Barney said is pretty accurate except you would go to the J model more than Likely (planning on completely phasing out the P's by sometime in 2015) so you would have a well air-conditioned plane with the new plane smell. As for stuff we do: HAAR (helo air to air refueling), Low level/modified contour, airdrop to include HALO (mostly of equipment, supplies, and/or PJ's) are the bread and butter, but there are some other things we do as well. In general this community does treat Navs/CSO's well so I agree with Barney again there. We deploy to a mix of shitholes and nice locations (and some REALLY nice locations).

Pipeline for the J model is just 6 months at Kirtland following Pcola graduation (instead of 6 months each at little rock and kirtland like with the P model).

Feel free to ask me whatever either via this thread or PM.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Thanks everybody for the info thus far. I just dropped HC-130J CSO (Moody), and I'm looking for some insight as to the logistics of the NPA-IKR-VAD transition...

1) Should I expect a TDY enroute for Kirtland?

2) If so, is this TDY accompanied (dependents)?

3) Again assuming a ~6 month TDY enroute, does that include HHG shipment or should I store our belongings for the PCS to GA?

4) I've heard Albuquerque has some shady areas and issues with gangs. Any recommendations for a general region to start the housing search?

Any other tips or recommendations from those with more experience on this are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm 90% sure the J course is a PCS now.

If not it's a long TDY that is "programmed" to be less than 179 days to prevent a HHG shipment. It will definitely take longer. You will be authorized 600lbs of HHG for the TDY and it will not be accompanied. Check the ABQ thread for housing locations. I stayed on base for the 8-month HH-60 MQT and loved it. A townhouse with rental furniture and cable/Internet for less than $60/day and a 10 minute drive to work.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for the info thus far. I just dropped HC-130J CSO (Moody), and I'm looking for some insight as to the logistics of the NPA-IKR-VAD transition...

KIKR hasn't existed for several years as an identifier.  It's KABQ.  If you are on base, avoid being lodged in Bldg 1911.  If you are off base, stay north of Central and East of I-25 to avoid the most shady parts of town (South Valley).  Even better to be north of I-40, but Nob Hill is a decent enough place.

• Upvote 1