17 hours ago, Fud said:

I highly recommend Trident, and my local real estate agent was phenomenally impressed with this organization.  

Thank you Fud!  It was great catching up with you and getting to help a fellow Aggie!  Glad we made in painless for you!  Enjoy the new house!

Jon

Cell: 850-377-1114

jk@mythl.com

Edited by Jon - Trident Home Loans
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:48 AM, Jon - Trident Home Loans said:

Thank you Fud!  It was great catching up with you and getting to help a fellow Aggie!  Glad we made in painless for you!  Enjoy the new house!

Jon

jk@mythl.com

It was great catching up with you as well Jon.  

• 2 weeks later...

How does buying land work?

I plan on doing a completely custom build, which means I'll need to have the land before the plans can be drawn up.

Land in Dallas isn't cheap, so I'll most likely need a loan for the land. Is it usual to get one loan for the land and one for the build? Will getting a loan for the land hurt my ability to get a loan for the build?

Thanks,
Seth

Just wanted to post another great review for Trident. Those guys worked around the clock to get us everything on time and answer any questions we had about the process. They gave great unbiased advice and had the best rates around. Rates are continuing down and I would highly recommend using Trident if you are looking to buy or refinance. We worked with Jon, Lisa, and Bri and they were fantastic. They get a big fat E for everything. Thanks again guys!

7 hours ago, Fly4five said:

Just wanted to post another great review for Trident. Those guys worked around the clock to get us everything on time and answer any questions we had about the process. They gave great unbiased advice and had the best rates around. Rates are continuing down and I would highly recommend using Trident if you are looking to buy or refinance. We worked with Jon, Lisa, and Bri and they were fantastic. They get a big fat E for everything. Thanks again guys!

Thank you and you're welcome!  Glad we could help buy your first house mostly pain free!  You're spot on about rates going down.  Rates have been on a serious decline since the Fed announced last week that they were going to be doing an unexpected round of bond buying starting in May.  If you're getting anything above 3.5% no points no fees on a VA under $484K or 3.875 on a VA jumbo then you definitely need to shop around.  It's a great time to get a mortgage or do a refinance.  Friday we hit a 15 month low on rates.

Cheers!
Jon

850-377-1114 or jk@mythl.com

• 4 weeks later...

Update from NBKC Bank!  We have rolled out a new extended rate lock program available in ALL 50 States.  We have rate lock terms through 240 days with a float down option if pricing goes down.  Very helpful if buying a new build and are concerned where rate pricing may be heading.  Touch base with me for more details!    Amy 

We also have a new pilot landing page on our website. Check it out! 

https://www.nbkc.com/pilots

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/30/2019 at 3:57 AM, di1630 said:

Anyone know a good VA loan outfit in AZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Also looking to buy a home near DM in the next couple of months. Already planning on getting a quote from NBKC but if anyone has other mortgage company and realtor recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Also looking to buy a home near DM in the next couple of months. Already planning on getting a quote from NBKC but if anyone has other mortgage company and realtor recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Only heard great things about Josh in AZ! Recently referred another baseops guy to him and got great feedback. Great service and a great rate. I’d definitely shop the loan with him.

Marty

Josh Goldberg
Mortgage Planner
Direct: 480-459-4516
Cell: 480-510-6350
EFax: 480-718-7980
Main office: 480-459-4500
Josh.Goldberg@barrettfinancial.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Marty - Trident Home Loans said:

Only heard great things about Josh in AZ! Recently referred another baseops guy to him and got great feedback. Great service and a great rate. I’d definitely shop the loan with him.

Marty

Josh Goldberg
Mortgage Planner
Direct: 480-459-4516
Cell: 480-510-6350
EFax: 480-718-7980
Main office: 480-459-4500
Josh.Goldberg@barrettfinancial.com

Thanks for the help, Marty. Will definitely be giving Trident a call first if/when we move to a state that you service sometime down the road 👍

Thanks for the help, Marty. Will definitely be giving Trident a call first if/when we move to a state that you service sometime down the road 

You’re welcome! Love to work with you in the future!

I like Josh because his first quote is his best and he doesn’t play the used car salesmen game. About the most unethical thing I see in this business is lenders quoting high in hopes that the person doesn’t shop around and then when they do they say “well send me their quote and I’ll see what I can do” or “I’ll talk to Sr. management”. So the 90% who don’t shop around get screwed and the 10% get a quote that barely matches or beats by maybe a couple hundred bucks the quote of the ethical guy who was upfront from the beginning.

I’ve been doing this for 15+ years and this exact scenario plays out like a record. When this conversation starts do yourself a favor and just run away. Any company that treats anyone, let along a veteran should be ashamed of themselves. Best quote upfront + great service = a great lender. That’s been Trident’s model since I started it and it’s not changing as long as I own the company.

Off my soap box...let me know how it turns out with Josh. I only want to refer you guys to the best I can find in states we’re not licensed in.

Marty

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aarp said:

I often work with several realtors in the Phoenix and Tucson areas.  All are really top notch and great advocates for their borrowers if you are still looking for an AZ realtor.  PM me! Amy 

Quick shoutout for Trident Home Loans. I recently worked with Jon, Bri, and Lisa and they did a great job getting us a low rate and expediting our contract closing ten days ahead of schedule. All of our inquiries were answered in a timely manner and I would definitely use them again! 

10 hours ago, UDEL09 said:

Quick shoutout for Trident Home Loans. I recently worked with Jon, Bri, and Lisa and they did a great job getting us a low rate and expediting our contract closing ten days ahead of schedule. All of our inquiries were answered in a timely manner and I would definitely use them again! 

Thank you!  Glad we could get you and your big family out of the RV and into the house faster!  It was all Bri and Lisa making the faster closing happen.  I passed along your thanks to them.  Enjoy the new house and assignment!  

Side note: We get a lot of questions on getting a second VA loan if you still have your first one.  Yes you can do it but it might require a down payment if you don’t have enough VA entitlement remaining. You need to know the county loan limit and how much your first loan was originally for.

How much entitlement left formula:

County limit (usually 484,350k) - original loan amount = remaining entitlement

https://www.fhfa.gov/DataTools/Downloads/Documents/Conforming-Loan-Limits/FullCountyLoanLimitList2019_HERA-BASED_FINAL_FLAT.pdf

If that covers your new purchase price then no down payment is needed

If you don’t have enough entitlement left then:

Second VA down payment formula:

(Purchase price - remaining entitlement) x 25% = down payment 

By putting down 5% on a second time use VA you lower the VA funding fee from 3.3% to 1.5% which is a huge savings.  The 25% missing entitlement down payment counts towards the 5% so you can kill two birds with one stone.

Hope that helps everyone!

Jon

jk@mythl.com

• Like 1

Work with Amy at NBKC. I’ve had a great experience thus far. Rates better than anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Baseops

LONG time lurker (see username); I don’t usually post, but I appreciate all the insights on good and bad this community has provided about my Air Force--thanks

Posting here in praise of Trident Home Loans.  Retired last year and bought my forever home in Texas with a VA loan through Trident; called Marty from word of mouth here and his folks made it happen.

Had a good rate, but after seeing here that they were dropping further, I called Jon about doing a low cost refi. (If you have a VA loan, you’ll get daily mail from companies looking to help you with this process—IRRRL; probably got over 100 in the mail in the past year)

Jon locked me in on a rate that beat all offers and minimized out-of-pocket cost for me at closing.  Paperwork was handled by Elena; she was friendly, responsive, and professional and got the closing done in less than a month from when I called (could have been quicker, but I chose towards the end of April for cost reasons.)

Jon works hard and appeared to drop everything to help me, answering emails late at night and early morning to get it done.  He’s the man and you can’t go wrong with this company; thanks again!.

Fly safe!

On 5/3/2019 at 6:25 AM, charlie141 said:

He’s the man and you can’t go wrong with this company; thanks again!.

I think you're just saying nice things because we're both Aggies;) Thank you Sir!  I enjoyed working with you too!  Elena made the magic happen though.  Glad we could lower your monthly and keep the costs to do it low.  TX is a good refinance state because they don't have a state/county taxes on real estate transactions.  Let me know if you need anything in the future!

Gig 'em!
Jon

850-377-1114

jk@mythl.com

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, Lord Ratner said:

How does buying land work?

I plan on doing a completely custom build, which means I'll need to have the land before the plans can be drawn up.

Land in Dallas isn't cheap, so I'll most likely need a loan for the land. Is it usual to get one loan for the land and one for the build? Will getting a loan for the land hurt my ability to get a loan for the build?

Thanks,
Seth

I bought land separately and then had a house built later.  Here was my experience: when I was closing for the land loan, the lending agent popped a letter in front of me for my signature. The letter stated that there would be a lien on the timber on my property.  It did not mention the land loan, and did not have an expiration date. Lawyer said it was "typical, and obviously associated with the land loan." It was obvious to me he was bs'ing me, and I wasn't comfortable with the letter, so I walked out of the closing, much to everyone's chagrin. I ended up paying cash for the land, which was not what I wanted to do, but at least there are no liens.

For the house, during the building phase I had a construction loan, which was all new to me and at times confusing.  I had different interest payments every month, some for $19, and some for over $600 near the end of construction.  At closing the bank transferred everything into a mortgage.

Good luck on your build.  I can give you some of the surprises and less than good experiences that I had if you are interested.  At the end of the day, it was a good decision for me because I cannot see any neighbors or even the street from my house and there is no HOA or any of that nonsense.

Edited by filthy_liar
Unable to correctly spell single syllable words.

I’m usually not the type to spam the masses with advertising... but this guy was superb for acquiring a VA loan.

Bob Worthington:  North Little Rock Mortgage Lender

https://www.blrmortgage.com/bobworthington/

Highly recommended for VA loans. I’ll be using him for life. He was a pleasure to work with, reachable, communicative, and closed my VA loan in 18 days!  Even included a restoration on my other home that closed two weeks prior to this closing. Fees were well below those of mega-lenders. My other buddy used him as well with equal results. 

He works VA loans nationwide. Highly recommend you get a quote. 

I bought land separately and then had a house built later.  Here was my experience: when I was closing for the land loan, the lending agent popped a letter in front of me for my signature. The letter stated that there would be a lien on the timber on my property.  It did not mention the land loan, and did not have an expiration date. Lawyer said it was "typical, and obviously associated with the land loan." It was obvious to me he was bs'ing me, and I wasn't comfortable with the letter, so I walked out of the closing, much to everyone's chagrin. I ended up paying cash for the land, which was not what I wanted to do, but at least there are no liens.
For the house, during the building phase I had a construction loan, which was all new to me and at times confusing.  I had different interest payments every month, some for $19, and some for over $600 near the end of construction.  At closing the bank transferred everything into a mortgage.
Good luck on your build.  I can give you some of the surprises and less than good experiences that I had if you are interested.  At the end of the day, it was a good decision for me because I cannot see any neighbors or even the street from my house and there is no HOA or any of that nonsense.

Thanks for the info, and yes, I would appreciate any and all experience you had. Private message or here for everyone to see is your choice. The timber lien is a new one to me.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, Lord Ratner said:

Thanks for the info, and yes, I would appreciate any and all experience you had. Private message or here for everyone to see is your choice. The timber lien is a new one to me.

My first mistake was choosing the builder.  I wanted some custom features for the home, like quarter-log siding for the exterior and interior walls, timber ceilings, etc.  They wouldn't do any of that.  So my choice was to go with a true custom builder who builds one house at a time, or compromise.  I compromised because true custom builders are ridiculously expensive and I'd never be able to sell the home. So the builder I chose would not do anything "unique" and they used the cheapest materials and labor they could find. I've never seen such shoddy construction.  I'll have to redo a lot of what they did to get the house like I want it. They let me pick our their best materials for flooring, paint, etc. And they let me buy my own sinks and finally agreed to build a tiled walk-in master bath instead of installing a cheap drop-in.  All of their materials were garbage, even their "top end" stuff.

My closing was a nightmare.  The GC "guaranteed" me a date that the house would be complete, so I scheduled a move-out date with the apartment and scheduled movers.  The actual closing was almost 5 weeks later. I was about 2 days away from having to move into a hotel and move my furniture into storage.  I basically had to threaten the building company with a lawsuit. That was a stressful 5 weeks that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I've lived in the house for about a month, and I have water coming in through the first floor, a hot water heater that constantly trips (probably bad thermostat), and a bathroom that leaks through the floor all the way through to the first level.  I've heard that once you close, the builder drags their feet for warranty items.  That's definitely true in my case.  Oh and they left about a dumpster load of garbage - mostly leftover materials and some actual garbage, on my property.  And they left about another dumpster load of stumps that they promised they'd haul away since early on in the build.

I owed $18K at closing, they were nice enough to let me know that about a week before closing.  To this day I do not understand how they came up with that amount.  I work with a guy who claims he owed almost $40K, so maybe that's not that unusual.  It sure shocked me though.

I'm sure I can think of other bad things.  Having said all of that above, I don't really know what advice to give anyone.  All of the major builders have plenty of bad reviews, so you can't really go by that.  If you can afford it, a true custom build is the way to go, but just realize that most folks living out in a rural area on land can't afford an expensive house so you might have issues of you try to sell.

I'm slowly getting over the whole frustrating experience.  There's nothing like living out in the woods and having total control over your land and house.  I was never able to do that in the military.

...I forgot to mention the part about utilities - you'll want to plan that out very carefully.  My house sits 560 off the road.  I did a lot of work myself, but here's about what stuff would've or did cost me:  Driveway (concrete) $26K; electricity: $14K; water: $5K; internet: $3.7K.  All of my utilities are trenched because they want you to clear so many trees out to go above ground.  I don't know which is more expensive, but I'm glad I kept the trees.

Edited by filthy_liar
Included info about utilities
  • Upvote 1