Gents, I wanted to drop another recommendation for Marty at Trident.  I researched some other options and even found one that I could haggle down to a lower rate.  However, after speaking with Marty again I was convinced his operation was the better option.  I closed last month, and am very happy I went with Trident.  Jen was the assistant I worked with and she was very responsive at all times to my many questions.  

Gents, I wanted to drop another recommendation for Marty at Trident.  I researched some other options and even found one that I could haggle down to a lower rate.  However, after speaking with Marty again I was convinced his operation was the better option.  I closed last month, and am very happy I went with Trident.  Jen was the assistant I worked with and she was very responsive at all times to my many questions.  

Thank you for your business and review! We typically have the best rates around and I don’t play car salesman games. When you call you’ll get the lowest rate we can give with no haggling. There is another lender who I have repeatedly seen offer a higher rate when you first call, then ask for my fee sheet once they know you’re talking to me, then try to match it. They even accused a navy pilot of lying to them about the deal I was offering. To me that’s shady business and not how I run my company. Give the best rate upfront combined with quality service to make closing a pain free as possible. Thanks again!

Marty
  • Like 1

Kudos to Marty for taking good care of his customers  and encouraging them to post here . NBKC Bank is still very much a player.  We just don't post on this forum very often. Lots of business to go around and it sounds like both Marty's team and mine with NBKC Bank are working hard to make sure the pilots in our community have good financing options! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

so is Marty the new NBOKC?

Thanks for the compliment! We’ve been on Baseops for about 3 years and have seen a big response with new and past clients returning. Everyone is getting great deals from both us and NBOKC below what the big banks/lenders are offering...please share what you know with your troops who aren’t on here. On average you guys are getting 1/2% less on rates then the common borrower.

Thanks Amy as well!

Marty

In the final stages of the process with Marty right now...great service but be prepared to provide a LOT of paperwork!

Underwriters and the government love paperwork. Unfortunately a hurdle we don’t have a lot of control over. At least there aren’t any CBTs;) Glad you’ve been happy with the service...almost there.

Marty

1 hour ago, Marty - Trident Home Loans said:

Underwriters and the government love paperwork. Unfortunately a hurdle we don’t have a lot of control over. At least there aren’t any CBTs;) Glad you’ve been happy with the service...almost there.

Marty

I wasn’t expecting the PAP Smear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
+1 for Trident Home Loans. Jennifer was great and very aggressive with the builder/seller to get everything sorted out and closed on a fast timeline.

Thank you! Jennifer is awesome as is the rest of my employees! I get to do the fun part of talking to pilots all day and sharing war stories while our 17 processors/licenses loan officers do all the hard work. They are truly what makes the company great!

I just closed on some land in Gulf Breeze FL which I’m developing then will be building on. I’ve built 8 houses from custom to tract over my life and done almost every type of loan out there which has brought a lot of success and failures along the way. Let me know if you have any real estate questions outside of just mortgages or I if can provide any education that’d benefit the group. I’ve been in this game for a while and have plenty I can share...just need to know what you want to know.

Marty

I just closed on some land in Gulf Breeze FL which I’m developing then will be building on. I’ve built 8 houses from custom to tract over my life and done almost every type of loan out there which has brought a lot of success and failures along the way. Let me know if you have any real estate questions outside of just mortgages or I if can provide any education that’d benefit the group. I’ve been in this game for a while and have plenty I can share...just need to know what you want to know.

Marty

My plan is to have a custom home designed and built. Most likely in the Dallas area. Any experience and advice you can offer would be huge. Not planning to start throwing money at it for about three years, but once I do, I want to do it right.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:05 AM, Lord Ratner said:

My plan is to have a custom home designed and built. Most likely in the Dallas area. Any experience and advice you can offer would be huge. Not planning to start throwing money at it for about three years, but once I do, I want to do it right.

Lots of planning goes into getting what you want at the right price, but it's awesome when you're living in your dream house.  Def start with plans and specs then bid with 3 builders.  See what they've done in the past and what their previous clients had to say about them.  Every builder has a different overhead that they put on everything from a small nail through all the big stuff.  The markup can get pretty crazy depending on how much the builder thinks he can make off you.  They even markup labor costs...i.e. if they have someone working for them that they pay $15/hr they'll charge you $30/hr.  Getting quotes from multiple builders can keep them in check especially if the home is very custom.  Also check on their timeliness to complete past projects...last thing you want is to get the house 6 months after you needed it.  I'd also try to buy as much of the materials as you can...the builder has no incentive to finding deals/sales.  You could go to lowes and save 10% automatically plus any sales you find.  You'll save a ton of money if you can do the purchasing. I've worked a deal in the past where I buy materials and the builder just charges me a 10% install fee.  He was a prior AF officer who had his general contractor license so he hooked me up. 

There are also a lot of financing options from buying the lot then doing a construction loan which turns into a VA at completion to doing a builder financed which just closes like a normal VA.  There is a ton more to talk about on this subject so feel free to call or email me anytime.

Marty

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots of planning goes into getting what you want at the right price, but it's awesome when you're living in your dream house.  Def start with plans and specs then bid with 3 builders.  See what they've done in the past and what their previous clients had to say about them.  Every builder has a different overhead that they put on everything from a small nail through all the big stuff.  The markup can get pretty crazy depending on how much the builder thinks he can make off you.  They even markup labor costs...i.e. if they have someone working for them that they pay $15/hr they'll charge you $30/hr.  Getting quotes from multiple builders can keep them in check especially if the home is very custom.  Also check on their timeliness to complete past projects...last thing you want is to get the house 6 months after you needed it.  I'd also try to buy as much of the materials as you can...the builder has no incentive to finding deals/sales.  You could go to lowes and save 10% automatically plus any sales you find.  You'll save a ton of money if you can do the purchasing. I've worked a deal in the past where I buy materials and the builder just charges me a 10% install fee.  He was a prior AF officer who had his general contractor license so he hooked me up. 
There are also a lot of financing options from buying the lot then doing a construction loan which turns into a VA at completion to doing a builder financed which just closes like a normal VA.  There is a ton more to talk about on this subject so feel free to call or email me anytime.
Marty
Awesome, thanks. I'll be in touch one I'm a bit closer to build time

Awesome, thanks. I'll be in touch one I'm a bit closer to build time

Sounds good, looking forward to chatting more. I’m happy to answer anyone else’s real estate, airline, owning/starting a biz or having a second job while flying for the airline type questions.

Maybe you guys saw it in the news but the 10yr treasury bond broke 3% for a bit and is hanging right around there still. Since the 10yr and mortgage rates go in the same direction we’re seeing 4% on 30yr VAs and 3.875-4% on 15yrs right now and I don’t expect to see it go down much if anything. The market is strong and we’re seeing more global stability so that typically pushes the bond up higher and mortgage rates will follow. Lock sooner than later and jump on any dips.

Marty

Looking to buy a house with VA and the carpet is trashed and the seller has a lower price because of it (and some other mostly cosmetic stuff) will large chunks of carpet missing stop the appraisal/inspecroon? I don't want to ask him to fix it, because I'd rather do it when I own the house.

• Like 1

Looking to buy a house with VA and the carpet is trashed and the seller has a lower price because of it (and some other mostly cosmetic stuff) will large chunks of carpet missing stop the appraisal/inspecroon? I don't want to ask him to fix it, because I'd rather do it when I own the house.

Yes, the VA won’t allow bare concrete. Need to either replace the carpet or paint the concrete. You can have them do the inspection, fail you, give you an itemized list and tell you exactly what they’ll accept then do a reinspection after you do the bare minimum to pass. If the carpets are the only issue then just paint the concrete. I’m not a VA inspector but I’ve definitely seen plenty of these scenarios play out. Hope that helps!

Marty

Thanks! It is on top of wood subfloor... same issue probably? I'm guessing we just cant paint subfloor to make it good?

I would assume so unless it’s old hard wood that was covered up by carpet. The VA inspector is looking to see if the house is livable and safe. Torn carpet could also be a safety factor for the inspector. I’ve seen guys just pull it all out and paint the slab but that might not work in your situation depending on the subfloor.

Another option is get a quote for the new carpet you want, add in the carpet cost to the sale price and have it paid for by the seller now. They get the money back at closing and seller concessions like that are allowed. Then it get installed before the reinspection so you get the final cleared to close. You can have your underwriting approval before the carpet work starts so the seller knows that you will actually close and isn’t going to waste his/her money.

Marty
  • Thanks 1

Another great experience using Marty. I am retired Air Force and now a realtor in Northwest Florida. My husband is currently an AF Pilot. Marty’s name was mentioned to me by two very different sources. Mac Yates and I have known each other for more than 15yrs. I trust Mac. When my buyer needed a lender I decided to try Marty. I hit the jackpot! Marty and his team was responsive and immediately provided my client what he needed to get the ball rolling to purchase a home. Great rates, great service---no need to look further.

Another great experience using Marty. I am retired Air Force and now a realtor in Northwest Florida. My husband is currently an AF Pilot. Marty’s name was mentioned to me by two very different sources. Mac Yates and I have known each other for more than 15yrs. I trust Mac. When my buyer needed a lender I decided to try Marty. I hit the jackpot! Marty and his team was responsive and immediately provided my client what he needed to get the ball rolling to purchase a home. Great rates, great service---no need to look further.

Thanks Serena! My team makes it happen...I just fly and talk on the phone. For anyone moving to Hurlburt, Eglin, Duke, Whiting, or PCola Serena is a must for your realtor. I’ve worked with a lot of realtors and she’s got it figured out. She’s retired AF, her husband is about to retire and is interviewing at my airline soon...great people who aren’t in it just for the money too. Hard to find people in real estate like that. He was an IP at Whiting and she was at Hurlburt so they know the area and are living right outside of Hurlburt. Great people...let me know if you want her contact info.

Marty

I have explored both NBKS and ultimately Marty was happy to beat their offer by a substantial margin.  I’ve used him twice now and my mom used him too.  

The most recent deal?  Our seller fail to show to close and we were far from home.  Marty and his team put us up in a hotel since we obviously had nowhere to sleep.  Work with Marty and his team.   They treat you like family rather than another interest payment, and their lender credits and interest rates are very generous on top of that.  No smoke.  No mirrors.  

They can do loans in many states so don’t assume only Florida.  I got loans in OK and TX.   

• 2 weeks later...
I have explored both NBKS and ultimately Marty was happy to beat their offer by a substantial margin.  I’ve used him twice now and my mom used him too.  
The most recent deal?  Our seller fail to show to close and we were far from home.  Marty and his team put us up in a hotel since we obviously had nowhere to sleep.  Work with Marty and his team.   They treat you like family rather than another interest payment, and their lender credits and interest rates are very generous on top of that.  No smoke.  No mirrors.  
They can do loans in many states so don’t assume only Florida.  I got loans in OK and TX.   

Thank you! Our goal is that you walk away happy. If things go sideways let me know early so I can fix it and make it right. Buying and moving are huge stressors and we want to alleviate that stress anyway we can. We’re not always perfect but we will always try to make it right whether or not we are the problem. We’re here to serve you because you guys are the truly the best clients and the top 1% of Americans!

Marty