Thanks all of you for the great comments. I'm excited it worked out as well as it did for you!

If any of you know someone that may be a benefit in the same way, just PM me and I can answer those questions, or put you in contact with Amy, Dave and Greg who I have set everyone else up with so far from the baseops community!

Just got done signing the refinance paperwork. We initially contacted Daniel probably 2.5 weeks ago, he put us in touch with Dave Devine and we just got done signing all the paperwork. Took our monthly payment down $105/month and are getting a $260 check for refinancing. Was extremely painless. I'd recommend them to anyone interested in refinancing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the review I sent to the Kansas City Bank Supervisor for Dave Devine. I am inherently lazy so I just cut and pasted what I wrote because it speak volumes about my experience with Kansas City. Forget USAA and try him out...I closed for $.54 on a $395k purchase. I'm not kidding...USAA was going to charge me $7,000 for the exact same loan. No tricks, no gimmicks...USAA is dead in the water. I put his contact info at the bottom.

"I rarely write supervisors to inform them of customer service issues, but in this case I feel very strongly about it. Most people only acknowledge the negative experience, but I want to tell you about a positive experience we had with Dave Devine.

First of all, Dave is the consummate professional, extremely thorough and has the positive customer experience nailed! We refinanced two houses through Dave and had a very positive experience. He worked tirelessly to get our loans approved and kept us informed along the way. We never had to worry about what documents Dave needed or the status of our loan because Dave was letting us know as soon as something changed.

However, that is not the experience I want to share with you. My wife and I applied for a loan for a new home purchase in Tucson with USAA. We have been banking with USAA for 20 years and made the mistake of going to them for the loan. Long story short, USAA denied our loan one day prior to closing because they believed that I was out of the country too much to qualify the house as my primary residence. I immediately called Dave in a panic and Dave said (and I quote), "Don't worry about it, we'll get it done." That is all he had to say...he closed the loan in 15 working days and saved the day (not to mention our house!). Not only is Dave highly qualified at this job, he has the unique ability to establish a rapport with his clients which is very rare. On more than one occasion I found myself talking to Dave about golf and Kansas City. Dave will always have a place to crash for the night in Tucson should he need it....Dave is that kind of guy. After 13 years in the Army and leading a company of 110 Soldiers, I understand a little about leadership and people. Dave is definitely the kind of guy you want representing Kansas City Bank...I referred five clients to Dave not because I cared about those guys refinancing their homes, but because I wanted Dave to get the business and make him that much more successful. Take care of Dave...and hire more guys like him. You cannot go wrong."

David Devine

National Bank Of Kansas City

Mortgage Lending Consultant

10700 Nall Avenue | Overland Park, KS 66211

NMLS ID# 420796

Direct: 913-383-6417

E- Fax: 913-499-4520

Long story short, USAA denied our loan one day prior to closing because they believed that I was out of the country too much to qualify the house as my primary residence.

Unrelated to your message about Dave & NBoKC, but--wait, what?? You're deployed overseas so USAA decides your home isn't your primary residence??? WTF??? I've never financed w/ USAA because their rates suck--but this is a whole other reason to go elsewhere....

ok, so what about a refi without the VA piece? I have a conventional mortgage through USAA (serviced by GMAC) right now.

edit: spelin

Edited by stract

ok, so what about a refi without the VA piece? I have a conventional mortgage through USAA (serviced by GMAC) right now.

i would look into the IRRL refi and compare to a conventional refi. also do the math - there will be closing costs either way so make sure your savings outweighs the initial cost - if you're not saving > 1% on your rate it might not be worth it.

Unrelated to your message about Dave & NBoKC, but--wait, what?? You're deployed overseas so USAA decides your home isn't your primary residence??? WTF??? I've never financed w/ USAA because their rates suck--but this is a whole other reason to go elsewhere....

In a nutshell yes. I am a contract ISR pilot and work 60 days on 60 off overseas and USAA said that my new home in Tucson would not qualify as a primary residence because:

a. I am out of the country too much...VA says your home has to be occupied 51% of the time.

b. I have no ties to the Tucson community that qualify for me to move to Tucson. I am a member of the Arizona Air National Guard and my civilian job allows me to live anywhere.

USAA denied the loan not once, but twice! I even went to the executive level to protest and the answer was still no. However, I just went to B of KC (Dave) and it was absolutely no issue. The backseaters I work with and other pilots had the exact same issue with USAA and were all denied. I asked USAA, "So where exactly is my primary residence, if it is not in Tucson with my family and my stuff"? They said they didn't know, but it isn't Tucson. Idiots.

The best thing to do is give Dave a call and he will run the numbers for you for whatever scenario you want to look at. I refinanced one of my homes from a VA to conventional so I could free up my VA for the Tucson house. That cost me a little cash, but saved me $5k over USAA.

I am no way connected with BofKC or Dave, I just have three houses now (El Paso and Tucson) and I was able to get them all refinanced with and without VA and I was able to do it through this bank. They are legit and are able to offer these rates/no closing costs because they just turn around and sell your mortgage to Wells Fargo so they can pay almost all of your costs. I do not really care who services my loan...I just want the up front costs savings that will pay dividends in the future. Also, Dave is just a good dude.

• Upvote 1

Being a member of the Arizona National Guard did not prove sufficient ties to live in a town in Arizona?? WTFO?

I know. It seems insane right? I talked to no less than 5 people at USAA explaining my situation and common sense did not prevail. I was totally blown away...I even sent them PCS orders, moving documents, and a signed letter by my CDR stating I am a member of the AZANG. They (USAA) said my job with the AZANG is part time so it did not count...I can't make this up my friends.

Dave wanted me to tell you all thank you for the great words.

We have had a great time meeting a lot of you these last few months. We enjoy being involved with your group, and look forward to a good continued relationship with Baseops. This forum has been a great way to tell people who we are, and have a good discussion on available options.

If any of you are members of similar forums/organizations that may be a good match for what we do, please let me know!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted, and I thought I'd thank everyone for their interest the last 5 months we've been involved here.

Dave Devine wanted me to mention that a common misconception when people first inquire is the fees. We are often able to structure loans so there really is no closing costs to the borrower, and we pick up all the costs (including the VA funding fee) in exchange for a slightly higher rate. That way there is no "recoup period" that needs to be factored in on whether it makes sense to refinance.

Thanks again everybody!

Just thought I'd add my experience to this thread. I was already partially committed ($50 app fee + $300 good faith deposit) on a new home purchase ($400K VA loan) with USAA, when I found this thread. I ran the numbers, which I will share below, and decided it was well worth it to sacrifice my $350 already spent and switch from USAA to NBOKC. After reading these posts, I called Dave Devine, and he has been so easy to work with. You'd think that with me living in Omaha, working with a bank in Kansas City, and buying a house in Louisiana would be hard to do. Not at all. Everything has been over the phone, and through email. I close in 3 weeks, but so far, it has been flawless. Here's a breakdown of what Dave offered me, vs what USAA's comparable loan would be:

- I paid $1511 in points to get a 3.5% loan; USAA was charging $8057 in points for the same rate on the same day. (Savings = $6546). (I might point out that a 3.75% rate was offered in which I'd get several thousand back in points, but the seller is paying some of my closing costs, so I took the lower rate).

- Filing fees $90; USAA filing fees $438 (Savings = $348)

- Origination charge = $0; USAA origination charge = $685 (Savings = $685)

- Appraisal Fee = $400; USAA appraisal fee = $425 (Savings = $25)

- Credit Report = $14; USAA credit report = $15 (Savings = $1)

- Flood Certification = $5.25; USAA Flood Certification = $14 (Savings = $8.75)

There were other differences in cost but in my limited knowledge of these documents, I thought they were uncontrollable by the lenders (such as transfer taxes, government recording charges, etc.) I attribute the differences to estimation errors, so I won't list those differences.

TOTAL SAVINGS = $7613.75

Giving up my $350 to USAA and switching to NBOKC was a no-brainer. Wish I had gone with them when I bought my current house.

• 2 weeks later...

I just closed a loan with NB of Kansas City today upon the recommendation of this board and a check with a couple of bros. The experience was very good. I didn't use Dave, I worked with someone else who provided great customer service. I refinanced and the whole process took about a month. It probably could have gone even quicker. I worked with the same customer service agent the whole time. There was never a time where she didn't answer a question/respond within 24 hours.

Here were the terms:

Charges:

Origination Charges: $515

Appraisal Fee: $200

Credit Report: $24.91

Flood Certificate: $14.00

Title Service: $1484.85

Recording Charges: $107.00

Total Fees: $2344.91

30 years @ 3.875%

Our previous rate was 4.875%. This lowered our monthly payment by $117.

PM me for more information and I'll send you the name of the person I worked with at the bank or any other information you'd like about my experience.

Edited by Striper_WSO

• 2 months later...

I've got 2x rental properties that I was thinking of refinancing... last time I looked (~2010 timeframe) I was told needed 20% loan to value or be ready to bring enough cash to the table in order to get to that 20% mark in order to refinance an investment property. Is this still the case?

Abmwaldo - in a general sense that is correct about the rental properties limitations. The only exception I can think of to that rule is if it currently has a VA loan tied to that property. The VA IRRL can still work if it's currently a rental property. But if it's a non-VA loan right now it's a lot harder to get done with less than 20% equity.

Thanks Baseops for bringing this topic back up. I haven't been here in a while either, with rates where they are this summer we've had the best summer ever in helping people refinance. We expect to fund well over 800 loans in August which will be a record for us, and over half are VA loans.

But rates are still low. The most common APR we're setting people up with these days is around 3.25% on a 30 year fixed VA loan. Oftentimes that is with no discount points. Obviously, the financial markets can change quickly, but we've been fortunate the last couple months with it being pretty steady.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to look up a personalized quote for you, or if you have any other questions I might be able to help you with!

thanks, Dan.

Guess I'll add my experience to this thread since it was slightly different than some others. Long story short, great loan rate (3.75% fixed 30 year VA), huge closing cost credit (covered over $6k in closing costs), I had to bring $0 to closing and closed on time so all in all, it ended up great. However, for me there was significant ass pain getting to closing. May have been partly due to FSBO purchase with no realtor help but there were a lot of mistakes and oversights at the bank that led to significant thrash during the 2 weeks leading up to closing. Lots of re-sends of docs and repeating of data already given. The day of closing was a total nightmare of surprise new document requirements, faxes, emails, etc, but in the end, we closed only an hour late and got a heck of a deal.