Fixed Wing Qualification for Army Pilots to become USAF pilots?

Guest flintstone1

• 2 months later...

A lot of this is news to me. I am an Army Guard 1000 hour, 38 year old captain (prior warrant officer) and literally got an email this morning approving my transfer to the ANG to fly C-130's. My age was never brought up. Can any of you quote regulation regarding officers who are already rated attending UPT or FWQ? I'd like to do a little homework if they didn't. Thanks.

As stated above FWQ is gone. You will need an age waiver which is probly not an issue in the guard.. You will not need an ARB to convert army to AF wings since you will be attending SUPT in a non rated status(u can still wear army wings though). ARB is only needed if you're going AF helos. You'll do the traditional UPT syllabus. Which -130 hired you?

109th in Scotia NY... Thanks for the feedback

I think it is normally a bit more formal than an email. Talk to your new C-130 unit.

Have had several conversations. This has taken months but I appreciate your correction regarding formality.

Very good move CPT E! Much better since you converted back to O-3 from WO and your chances remaining a flying Army Aviator as an RLO would definitely be in jepoardy. As a retired ARNG guy we've had a lot of pilots come over the other way from AF, Marines and Navy. The mix of that experience and aviation backgrounds is really good for military aviation in general. The only down side is learning the service acronyms! Good luck to you!

:salut:

Very good move CPT E! Much better since you converted back to O-3 from WO and your chances remaining a flying Army Aviator as an RLO would definitely be in jepoardy. As a retired ARNG guy we've had a lot of pilots come over the other way from AF, Marines and Navy. The mix of that experience and aviation backgrounds is really good for military aviation in general. The only down side is learning the service acronyms! Good luck to you!

:salut:

Thanks!! Hopefully the acronyms haven't changed much in the AF since I was an A1C back in '95! Haha

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, bmather9 said:

I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about FWQ coming back because of the pilot shortage?  I've seen a few younger Army aviators go through UPT/UFT, but since I'm 32 I doubt it's an option for me. 

I would not expect it to be coming back due to the washout rate they experienced when the course was in place.

3 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:

I would not expect it to be coming back due to the washout rate they experienced when the course was in place.

I'd never heard about the high washout rate before; it seems like that could be fixed by expanding the training timeline or changing something else about the course.  In the end it would still be a good deal for the USAF to put less money into training already seasoned pilots.  

5 hours ago, bmather9 said:

it seems like that could be fixed by expanding the training timeline or changing something else about the course.  

Or the trainees going through the course could meet the standard that has been set.  

Everyone doesn't get a medal.  Get tough or join the circus.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Or the trainees going through the course could meet the standard that has been set.  

I wasn't suggesting that the standard be lowered, just that if the course was properly designed and good candidates selected that there shouldn't be a high washout rate.  If that's truly the case, I believe that is a failure on part of the USAF. 

From reading a few other posts it seems that although FWQ required fewer flight hours, that it didn't really save much money.  Not sure how that math works out, but I guess there's overhead and other costs involved with maintaining a FWQ course.

8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Everyone doesn't get a medal.  Get tough or join the circus.  

I joined the Army although I think life would be better in the circus...uh, I mean, USAF.

3 hours ago, bmather9 said:

I wasn't suggesting that the standard be lowered, just that if the course was properly designed and good candidates selected that there shouldn't be a high washout rate.  If that's truly the case, I believe that is a failure on part of the USAF. 

From reading a few other posts it seems that although FWQ required fewer flight hours, that it didn't really save much money.  Not sure how that math works out, but I guess there's overhead and other costs involved with maintaining a FWQ course.

I joined the Army although I think life would be better in the circus...uh, I mean, USAF.

The explanation I was given (from a guy who went through the course and passed) was it was almost like what you and I would think of an AQC....they assume you already know everything about helicopters...you are just going to learn how to fly that specific airframe.  That was the biggest reason.  A lot of guys who flew rotary wing all their lives were being put through a course without any basic instruction on fixed wing.  It was a real baptism by fire, and some made it through just fine...but not enough for them to justify keeping the program alive.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2017 at 11:27 AM, bmather9 said:

I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about FWQ coming back because of the pilot shortage?  I've seen a few younger Army aviators go through UPT/UFT, but since I'm 32 I doubt it's an option for me. 

FYSA I’m older than you and got hired by a fighter squadron. ETPs for age/commissioned service are alive and well, until 35ish. Wish they’d just bring in the FWQ course again, or at least make this process easier.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

How's everyone doing? Quick question... maybe... Army pilot here, 2000 hours in Army Helo's and about 400 hours in Army FW, 4500 hours total with all civilian time. I've heard that I can transfer to the Air Force and fly airplanes (looking at guard/reserve only) and skip UPT if I have at least 400 hours in Army fixed wing aircraft since I would be considered a "rated" FW pilot. I have looked all over this website and I can't find any recent posts on it so apologies if I missed it. Can someone point me to the regulations that would discuss the requirements for a lateral transfer to bypass UPT and go straight to primary airframe? I know a few people that have gone from Army Helo to AF Helo but not FW. 

I am on the "old" side... age 35 but I have a 4.0 GPA, 99/97 Pilot/Nav score and a 98 PCSM score. Flight experience includes 940 hours combat, 370 hours imminent danger, 61 combat medevac mission and 5 deployments. Also a former UH60 IP/AMC, current airline captain, and current Army C12 PIC. Willing to move anywhere and fly anything. Just fishing for opportunities and trying to figure out what the regs require.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. Take care.

V/R

- J.

• M2 locked and unlocked this topic

If you went to the army fix wing course, you can get hired as a rated guy for heavys and go direct to a transition course. Say u got hired by a tanker guard unit, after going thru the ARB with NGB you would go direct to Altus.

There was a bro at my PIQ class in Altus. He flew CH46s for the marines. Only fix wing time to his name was from T6s at UPT… back when it was joint course with USAF navy and USMC… after 1500 hrs in the 46s he went direct to Altus for a transition course. So u could do it too.

Good luck! Ur in a better spot than I was. Even with 1500 hrs of 47 but no fix wing time I had to compete like an off the street guy and attend the full UPT. It was a blast.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app