New BAH rates are out.

Loach

44 minutes ago, MyCS said:

Explain to me how BAH rates decrease (sarcasm). I've never had a leasing office say,"You know what, we're just going to lower our rental prices." I've experienced increases. 

So if you move to my townhome community and we're the exact same rank. You won't be able to afford to live in the community because you're not grandfathered into the old BAH rate. Does this make sense to anyone?

That exactly happens.  As owning several homes sometimes I have to decrease the price based on the demand and economy.  There can be 10 townhomes and people are paying 2-3 different rates at once.  If it gets to the point where you’re paying several hundred more than someone you have the option to move out or negotiate with the owner for a new rate once your lease is up. 

The best is when w/dep goes up and w/o dep goes down.  The man hates them some single peeps! Anyway, in my area, we're down across the board.  Houses are selling at ridiculously high prices, taxes were just bumped up big time and rents are at an all time high...so it makes sense that we get a cut this year lol.   Not a huge deal if you stay on continuous orders, but we'll have a few guys get the shaft and get bumped down in BAH next year. 

I'm just hoping they'll actually unfuck the part-timer flight pay clusterfuck some day soon...I hear the new pay system will roll out "early 2021."  Checks in the mail!

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SocialD said:

The best is when w/dep goes up and w/o dep goes down.  The man hates them some single peeps! Anyway, in my area we're, down across the board.  Houses are selling at ridiculously high prices, taxes were just bumped up big time and rents are at an all time high...so it makes sense that we get a cut this year lol.   Not a huge deal if you stay on continuous orders, but we'll have a few guys get the shaft and get bumped down in BAH next year. 

I'm just hoping they'll actually unfuck the part-timer flight pay clusterfuck some day soon...I hear the new pay system will roll out "early 2021."  Checks in the mail!

Down for a second straight year in the Nashville area, this year -$141 at my rank for w/ dependent. Despite housing prices up 8-10% YOY and sale-to-list at 99% but WTF do I know. It is slightly up for single guys so YMMV.

When I was on active duty I did not realize that for my Guard brethren, a break in orders (or just a change in colors of money) meant the loss of rate protection. Here's to staying on one set of continuous orders 🍺🤞

While I like the attempt at empiricism that goes into the BAH calculation, if they're not transparent with the data that goes in I'm inclined to believe it's all a bunch of made up bullshit. Monkeys with typewriters etc. Money is fungible people...just raise rates 0-3% per year like basic pay and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2020 at 6:48 PM, nsplayr said:

Down for a second straight year in the Nashville area, this year -$141 at my rank for w/ dependent. Despite housing prices up 8-10% YOY and sale-to-list at 99% but WTF do I know. It is slightly up for single guys so YMMV.

BAH is based on rental rates, not actual home prices, so the odd occurrence of home values increasing while rent decreases is what causes this. I saw it back in 2008 when I was stationed in Florida. 

• Upvote 1

I moved to Minot just after the oil boom/flood ruined their market.  I made bank as a single Capt.  When I left, I was making almost as much BAH as the married LtCol who just got there...and looking at 2020 numbers, more than married O-6s now!

...then I PCSed and lost $10K a year in disposable income.  

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, MyCS said:

I plan on getting married in a few months. Will I receive the new 2021 BAH rate (lower rate) or the grandfathered rate (highest) between 2018-2020? 

When you get married in 2021, you will get the highest of:  1) the highest single BAH rate since you PCS’d to your current station, or 2) the 2021 w/dependents rate.  The only w/dependents rate considered in this calculation is the year you actually claimed a dependent (and all years moving forward).

For example:  Your single BAH increased steadily from 2018-2020:  $1500 in 2018, $1600 in 2019, $1700 in 2020.  During 2020, rents in your area completely cratered, and that is reflected in the new 2021 BAH rates:  $1300 single BAH, $1400 w/dependents in 2021.

In this example, in 2021, you will received $1700 while you are single (assuming no break in service), since you are grandfathered-in at that 2020 rate.  When you get married in 2021, you would continue to receive $1700 BAH, as your grandfathered 2020 BAH single rate is more than the 2021 w/dependents BAH rate.  

On the other hand, if the 2021 w/dependent rate is $1800, as soon as you register your new spouse in DEERS, you will start receiving $1800 in BAH ($1800 2021 w/dependents rate > $1700 grandfathered 2020 single rate).

Clear as mud?  Happy New Year.

I'm a dependo under my wife and a TG. Correct me if I'm wrong, when I'm not on orders receiving BAH my wife is eligible for the dependent BAH? My wife was told by finance they see me as ANG in DEERS instead of being listed as a dependent. Anyone have similar experience with this, curious if we will have to make frequent trips to finance once I do go on/off orders. 

Once I'm fully snapped in at my new position I'm going to start taking automotive classes across the street from Miramar so I can bank that $2,600/BAH for the Post-9/11 GI Bill!

Once I'm fully snapped in at my new position I'm going to start taking automotive classes across the street from Miramar so I can bank that $2,600/BAH for the Post-9/11 GI Bill!

I know I should probably know what you are talking about. But do tell please. Are you a retiree? Separated?

1 hour ago, slc said:

Please. Do tell. I want in

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

I know I should probably know what you are talking about. But do tell please. Are you a retiree? Separated?

If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill you get paid BAH for an E-5 with dependents on top of your school and books getting paid for. I had a buddy who took grad courses online but met once a semester in San Francisco and received >$4k a month. 

I'm a Reservist now but was Active from 2007-2018. 

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill you get paid BAH for an E-5 with dependents on top of your school and books getting paid for. I had a buddy who took grad courses online but met once a semester in San Francisco and received >$4k a month. 

I'm a Reservist now but was Active from 2007-2018. 

Very true, but you can only collect BAH from the GI Bill if you aren't getting it otherwise (like, being on orders as a reservist, for example).

12 hours ago, pawnman said:

Very true, but you can only collect BAH from the GI Bill if you aren't getting it otherwise (like, being on orders as a reservist, for example).

Of course. I'm a standard drilling Reservist not on orders. 

12 hours ago, pawnman said:

Yet another reason being a part-timer is such a great gig.  

On another note...if you're looking for a way to burn some of that GI BILL, check out this place.  They have a VA approved, 141 program for your Seaplane rating.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, VMFA187 said:

Cranium's up, I think you need to be enrolled at greater than (or equal to) 50% of what is considered "full time" in order to collect any BAH, and then, you only collect the proportion that equates to your enrollment (i.e. 75% of a full time stud = 75% of BAH). For undergrad, that's usually 12 semester hours - so you need to be enrolled in 6 hrs. For grad school, it's usually 9 - so you need to be enrolled in 4.5. I'm not sure what formula is used for other types of school/training.

Edit: actually it's more than 50%.

https://gibill.custhelp.va.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1480

Edited by ViperMan
math clarification

1 hour ago, ViperMan said:

Cranium's up, I think you need to be enrolled at greater than (or equal to) 50% of what is considered "full time" in order to collect any BAH, and then, you only collect the proportion that equates to your enrollment (i.e. 75% of a full time stud = 75% of BAH). For undergrad, that's usually 12 semester hours - so you need to be enrolled in 6 hrs. For grad school, it's usually 9 - so you need to be enrolled in 4.5. I'm not sure what formula is used for other types of school/training.

I knew about the 50% requirement. Wasn't aware of the proportional rate. I wonder if that is new. 

Probably best to take those classes on my own dime as I think they're only like $300 and save the GI Bill for when I have more time. 

17 hours ago, ViperMan said:

Schools determine what full-time is for grad school. Mine said six credit hours was full-time, so I was paid full BAH while I was in the Voc Rehab program.

• 11 months later...