New BAH rates are out.

Loach

It'll drive up costs on all rental properties, just like it does overseas.  Again, it's going to screw the lowest ranking Airmen and dual-mil families the most.  The MOAA article showing actual changes in compensation is the best write up of it I've seen.

It'll drive up costs on all rental properties, just like it does overseas.  Again, it's going to screw the lowest ranking Airmen and dual-mil families the most.  The MOAA article showing actual changes in compensation is the best write up of it I've seen.

Link?

9 hours ago, iowa said:

On a similar note, can I refinance my mortgage so the monthly payment matches the max allotment?

I mean I know I can, but in that way would one avoid giving any BAH back to the man. 

15 year mortgage FTW!

I guess I will take that 15 year mortgage for the win. i used to invest my BAH overage in mutual funds but I guess now it is going into  realestate. Especially now that I can price gouge all the military renters who rent from me when I PCS. ...talk about unintended consequences. Do any economists work for the government or are they just guessing?

• 3 weeks later...

It won't be all fine and dandy for folks who own investment properties...there will be so many rentals available at "max price" people will have to start including things like lawn care, cleaning service, free utilities, blah blah blah just to keep their place filled...there will still be tons of competition trust me.

It won't be all fine and dandy for folks who own investment properties...there will be so many rentals available at "max price" people will have to start including things like lawn care, cleaning service, free utilities, blah blah blah just to keep their place filled...there will still be tons of competition trust me.

If it's anything like the OHA process, your contract will be scrutinized to ensure you are only being charged for rent based only on size of the property. Any other "services" included will be prohibited.

6 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

If it's anything like the OHA process, your contract will be scrutinized to ensure you are only being charged for rent based only on size of the property. Any other "services" included will be prohibited.

"Based on the size of the property"...so not even based on mortgage statements or rental agreements, but just an arbitrary price based on the DoD's assessment?

6 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

So either way they are still trying to stick it to the service member...sounds about right.

9 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

That's why those services won't be in the contract, they'll be agreed to by handshake.  This is a bad deal for the taxpayer, but at least the maids and landscapers won't be hurting for work.

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

"Based on the size of the property"...so not even based on mortgage statements or rental agreements, but just an arbitrary price based on the DoD's assessment?

Thats not at all what they do for TDY properties at Altus and Randolph....TDY folks are given $60 per day for lodging and can't bank any of it.  Pit pads charge $60 per night and fill their houses.  They for sure offer all kind of incentives to keep their place filled up at all times...

we will see all I do know is there will be some shady stuff going on because of the Air Force passing this...what they will "save" by enacting this they will just spend again in trying to catch and prosecute folks who try to game the system...

IIRC the AF didn't pass this. This was enacted by Congress against the objections of all the services.

4 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

That's why those services won't be in the contract, they'll be agreed to by handshake.  This is a bad deal for the taxpayer, but at least the maids and landscapers won't be hurting for work.

Until a landlord tries to get skimpy on the "extra", non-contracted services.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

IIRC the AF didn't pass this. This was enacted by Congress against the objections of all the services.

Hasn't even been enacted by Congress - right now it's only included in the Senate version of the NDAA, IIRC.

You know what I mean

You can blame the AF for a lot of things but politicians are a whole different complaint department.

For this one, I give it to the services for actually putting up a fight...they haven't won yet and it doesn't look good but give credit where credit is due.

They're fighting it because administering a system to monitor every single servicemember's lease or mortgage will cost more than just giving people a flat rate.  We have data on this system (OHA); there is no need to run this experiment.  We already know that if you don't let people keep the "unspent" BAH, they will go and find a more expensive place.  This already happens with literally every servicemember living offbase overseas.  We are about to take the shitty system where we buy new flat screens every September and multiply it buy the number of servicemembers living off base in the CONUS.  I propose a different solution: let us keep our current BAH and I will report to the nearest US Mint with my flamethrower and incinerate several million dollars.  The net result will be the same fiscally.

• Upvote 4

I will report to the nearest US Mint with my flamethrower and incinerate several million dollars.  The net result will be the same fiscally.

Funny you should mention it...

http://xm42.com

Perfect for incinerating piles of cash, classified documents, whatever you feel like that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

They're fighting it because administering a system to monitor every single servicemember's lease or mortgage will cost more than just giving people a flat rate.  We have data on this system (OHA); there is no need to run this experiment.  We already know that if you don't let people keep the "unspent" BAH, they will go and find a more expensive place.  This already happens with literally every servicemember living offbase overseas.  We are about to take the shitty system where we buy new flat screens every September and multiply it buy the number of servicemembers living off base in the CONUS.  I propose a different solution: let us keep our current BAH and I will report to the nearest US Mint with my flamethrower and incinerate several million dollars.  The net result will be the same fiscally.

Not about the money.jpg

• Upvote 1