New BAH rates are out.

Loach

The money for your increased pilot bonuses will have to come from somewhere.  Keep this and the House's increased bonus number to $60K (plus the monthly $1K- wow!), and you have a sustainable program.

Not sure why the pilots are complaining.  I know, I know, it's what you do best.

57543368f1af6_ImageUploadedByBaseopsNetw

I have absolutely no reason to believe that pilot bonuses are in any way internationally related to the proposed reduction in BAH rates.

But, using the flawed logic, I counter with this: maybe if you guys wouldn't have ed it away in the first place, you wouldn't have to pay guys 10s of thousands more that many started out as youngins willing to do for free. Bravo, indeed.

• Upvote 2

General Chang simply serves for love of country and service before self, so he doesn't need BAH.  He just sleeps in his office.  His lights are even powered by his sense of self-worth, so saves the government money there too.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, General Chang said:

The money for your increased pilot bonuses will have to come from somewhere.  Keep this and the House's increased bonus number to $60K (plus the monthly $1K- wow!), and you have a sustainable program.

Not sure why the pilots are complaining.  I know, I know, it's what you do best.

Weren't you the one telling us that there wasn't a problem keeping in pilots?  If so, then why the need for a massive increase in the bonus? 

Weren't you the one telling us that there wasn't a problem keeping in pilots?  If so, then why the need for a massive increase in the bonus? 

Shhhh...no logic here, just trust that Chang knows how to fix all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Translation: "Keep rowing the boat ignore the water filling up around your feet... Chow today will be fecal matter on sourdough with soup."

12 hours ago, General Chang said:

Ah, yes, the classic leadership mantra of "If you ALL get screwed, and then I reward some of you later...well, why aren't you thanking me yet?"

Senate version passed earlier today with BAH reduction included.  I'd advise to call your representatives and start voicing your opinion.  There will be no grandfathering in this program.  Any PCS after 1 Jan 18 and you'll have to work with the new system.  

• Upvote 1

So, if I'm reading this correctly (starting on pg 249)...if your current BAH rate is $1700 but your mortgage/rent is $1000, you only get $1000.

Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding the text. What a clusterf*ck

http://www.armed-services.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/S2943%20-%20Committee-Passed%20NDAA.pdf

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hispeed7721 said:

So, if I'm reading this correctly (starting on pg 249)...if your current BAH rate is $1700 but your mortgage/rent is $1000, you only get $1000.

http://www.armed-services.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/S2943%20-%20Committee-Passed%20NDAA.pdf

That's how it reads.  So you will no longer get compensated for utilities as what the current BAH is suppose to provide.  

My retirement date can't come soon enough.  

Edited by sixpack

56 minutes ago, hispeed7721 said:

Hispeed, you are correct if I am also reading it the same. Sounds like they are going to try and make it like OHA which doesn't work out so well for us overseas. Housing is going to get all jacked up. Might as well give us a utility allowance also to help pay for some of the bills now that our bah is getting reduced. Unless they keep raising it baised on rentals in the areas, but I doubt it. 

2 minutes ago, cragspider said:

Hispeed, you are correct if I am also reading it the same. Sounds like they are going to try and make it like OHA which doesn't work out so well for us overseas. Housing is going to get all jacked up. Might as well give us a utility allowance also to help pay for some of the bills now that our bah is getting reduced. Unless they keep raising it baised on rentals in the areas, but I doubt it. 

Just like the flat rate perdiem that was enacted a couple years ago, this is nothing but an erosion to military member compensation.  I'd estimate that for each year of savings they could probably build 69% of a F-35.

The only way that OHA is sustainable to the member overseas with the artificially high rent prices is with the separate utilities allowance.

This new proposed BAH without a utilities allowance is a massive pay cut.

• Upvote 4

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but what I read said limited to the cost of housing. It doesn't specifically say utilities or not, but rent is specifically called out with respect to advances etc. How to calculate "housing costs" will be left to the services, I am sure, but nothing in this changes the idea that BAH is meant to pay for a set percentage of rent and utilities in the CONUS.

IIRC, the local surveys that help to determine BAH numbers includes a provision for utilities so this doesn't change that part. I think it will be even more difficult and more work for the finance guy and the individual to show what is paid out each month.

Either way, I think I just found another reason why it is time for me to retire.

Though S.2943 passed yesterday, it is likely not the bill that will be passed by the House and presented to the President. /https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/2943/all-actions
H.R.4909 already passed the House on 18 May and was placed on the Senate calendar on 26 May.  This bill does not have the BAH change. /https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4909/all-actions

Now the two bills differences need to be resolved, and only one will proceed with amendments and repeat passage in the first chamber to then advance to the President. /https://www.congress.gov/legislative-process/resolving-differences

The Senate passed its own version so that both bills may be discussed in a conference committee.  Thus both chambers have their own bills and criteria to defend, which is particularly important as the Senate has a Democratic Majority and the House has a Republican Majority. /https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_congressional_conference_committee /http://uspolitics.about.com/od/thecongress/a/conference.htm

H.R.4909 will very likely be the bill that is amended and eventually accepted, but whether the .  In short, it is a concern, but this individual fight and the full NDAA at large are FAR from finished.

Edited by deaddebate
font didn't render correctly.
  • Upvote 7

Thanks for the Schoolhouse Rock version of how a bill becomes a law...

Seriously, though you do a great job of breaking these things down and staying on top of the latest. I think most ppl here realize that this is not law yet, but still a concern and will continue to be for years to come. Hell, we won't have a budget until well past 1 Jan...and probably a CR when it does get passed and signed.
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Thanks for the Schoolhouse Rock version of how a bill becomes a law...

Seriously, though you do a great job of breaking these things down and staying on top of the latest. I think most ppl here realize that this is not law yet, but still a concern and will continue to be for years to come. Hell, we won't have a budget until well past 1 Jan...and probably a CR when it does get passed and signed.

More importantly, it gives you a glimpse into the minds of your elected leadership and where they stand when you hit the polls...

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2016 at 0:35 AM, sixpack said:

Just like the flat rate perdiem that was enacted a couple years ago, this is nothing but an erosion to military member compensation.  I'd estimate that for each year of savings they could probably build 69% of a F-35.

I estimate the costs of implementing this system will quickly overwhelm any savings from BAH.