New BAH rates are out.

Loach

On 12/16/2015 at 4:45 PM, bennynova said:

100%, you are grandfathered in

they government would be sued out their butt for giving someone $2000 a month (that individual signs a lease or buys a house) and then the government cuts the rate to $1800

all of us automatically get the highest BAH, and it never drops.  

Keep smokings and and living large, guys

If you can't make ends meet without that extra $200, you probably don't have the war chest to sue the federal government for changing BAH rates.

Edited by JBueno

21 minutes ago, ARIs 'R' Us said:

BAH is 2000 in year one. 2200 in year two. 2100 in year three.

You get 2100, or 2200 in year three? Not sure how the grandfathering works if it's higher than where you started, but lower year to year...

2200.  It ratchets up, but never down.  Unless you get demoted.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Up $576 in San Francisco for 0-4 w/ dep which brings us to $5310 now. For years Manhattan had the highest rates I had seen but we are now 600 bucks up on NYC. Wondering if anyone knows of a higher zip in the US than SF?

I think the BAH rates are broken down into something called MHA, which are further sub-divided into zip codes. The most expensive currently (for those with dependents, because they're not exactly the same as for those without) is "CA019," which includes more than 50 zip codes...which is San Fran. Here's your top 10:

CA019, 5310
NY219, 4704
NY349, 4602
CA044, 4170
NY218, 3981
MA377, 3909
HI408, 3786
MA120, 3744
CA037, 3630
CA018, 3627

• 4 months later...

This should be interesting. First problem, expect most every rental to hit at max BAH very similar to how it seemed to be in Germany. I know my landlord did it and so did many others. Hopefully the price gouging will include things like maids, as mine did. It wasn't in my lease or even mentioned before hand. She just showed up one day.

On the dual mil aspect and or roommate. What if one buys and the other "rents" a separate unit?

How much work will there be to calculate exact utilities.

It truly amazes me that senators think this is the best way to cut costs when (to my understanding) there is a fleet of aircraft for senior officials to utilize for "official duties". Seems like if we made them fly coach like the rest of us we could save some cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If some areas have people paying hundreds less than BAH, what about those of us paying hundreds more? Vegas BAH has not kept up with housing price increases, I currently pay $210 more just in rent before utilities.

Let's take some of the Senate's pay & guaranteed pension first.

If I am reading the Senate bill correctly, for Mil-to-Mil this is even worse than last year's attempted BAH change (only get BAH for highest ranking member).  With this change, a Mil-to-Mil couple with dependents would not even get the highest ranking BAH because the new formula would be:

Member BAH = Max BAH/Number of members in household

For example, lets take two O-4s living in DC with kids, Member 1 would be entitled to BAH w/ dependents, Member 2 w/o dependents.

Member 1 BAH = 3108/2 = $1554

Member 2 BAH = 2673/2 = $1337

Total Mil-to-Mil BAH = 1554 + 1337 = $2891

So, an O-4 married to anyone except another military member living in DC would get a max BAH of $3108, but a Mil-to-Mil couple with dependents would max out at $2891.  This is on top of the same couple also taking a ~$30K/yr pay cut from what they would be entitled to under the current rules.

Edited by cmdro
  • Upvote 1

I didn't see any mention of the utilities allowance that overseas members receive in addition to the capped OHA rate.

Either way, I agree that the only people that will eventually benefit from this are the owners of all the "Eagles Landing", "Pilots Cove", and "Base Vista" apartment complexes out there.

• Upvote 1

Just one more piece of BS tipping the scales.

Problem is that the talent the USAF needs to retain is generally skilled/educated...and those people generally marry similar people. My wife has to work jobs at 1/3 the pay of what she'd get using her degree in an established career.

Also, what about the loss of equity/stability we deal with moving every 2yrs and 8 mos?

Sorry, I am generally a critic of lavish benefits but this is BS. Send the wrong message to young airman also about maximizing financial efficiency (roommate/living below means).

Oh, I forgot, financial efficiency and the USAF are like oil and water.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

Just one more piece of BS tipping the scales.

Problem is that the talent the USAF needs to retain is generally skilled/educated...and those people generally marry similar people. My wife has to work jobs at 1/3 the pay of what she'd get using her degree in an established career.

Also, what about the loss of equity/stability we deal with moving every 2yrs and 8 mos?

Sorry, I am generally a critic of lavish benefits but this is BS. Send the wrong message to young airman also about maximizing financial efficiency (roommate/living below means).

Oh, I forgot, financial efficiency and the USAF are like oil and water.

Bingo.  These are EXACTLY the kind of fiscal policies that encourage the high performers to punch at the end of their first enlistment, and thereby open the door for the others to move up the NCO ranks.

Anyone know what the distance is for be "co-located". In other words how far apart would you have to be for it not be reasonable to live together? And is that the same point upon which you would receive FSA?

Anyone know what the distance is for be "co-located". In other words how far apart would you have to be for it not be reasonable to live together? And is that the same point upon which you would receive FSA?

Stationed 150 miles apart and were previously stationed together while married...you can apply for FSA.

Don't know how these new proposed rules would tie in.

The money for your increased pilot bonuses will have to come from somewhere.  Keep this and the House's increased bonus number to $60K (plus the monthly $1K- wow!), and you have a sustainable program.

Not sure why the pilots are complaining.  I know, I know, it's what you do best.

• Downvote 13