Electronic flight bags could boost operational safety, effectiveness

ClearedHot

The IRC instructor said (paraphrasing): McChord OGV was giving out Q3s for dudes who showed up to fly with less than XX% battery charge. True?

Altus has the update ability now, and was issuing them to studs as of a couple weeks ago.

Edited by 2xAGM114

The IRC instructor said (paraphrasing): McChord OGV was giving out Q3s for dudes who showed up to fly with less than XX% battery charge. True?

Altus has the update ability now, and was issuing them to studs as of a couple weeks ago.

What good is the stupid thing if it isn't charged?

• Upvote 1

Can you not charge it on the jet?

With the ipad on airplane mode (ya know, because of all the interference it causes to the instruments...), you'd have to be on a pretty epically long sortie to totally deplete the batter only occasionally referencing pubs. If you're using a GPS puck, foreflight, ok, maybe but come on...it's just OGV being queepy if this is actually true.

New thought: ipad mini as EFB. Cheaper to acquire, potentially better form factor for strapping to your leg, pretty much exactly the same capes. Thoughts?

IIRC, AMC policy is min charge of 50% to fly with it, then 10% for every hour over a five hour flight. 100% charge required for >10 hours of flight/duty day.

Charge the ######ing thing before the first flight of each day. Problem solved.

Why not charge it while you fly also? That's what KLTS does with our EFB's.

If I had your gucci lav, I'd do all kinds of reading in there.

In the desert, I would oftentimes wait until a sortie to take a shit...our lav was that nice. Besides, gave me something to do on the Blvd.

I've been surprised though so far as to the unbelievably shitty battery life of the AMC pad. On an out and back a few weeks ago from the east coast to CO, my battery went down to 30%...I was using it for charts with Foreflight, but its not like I had it on the whole time or was using the wifi and/or GPS puck. I swear my personal ipad2 has a better battery. I guess I should complain since it much nicer than lugging a bunch of paper FLIP around.

In the desert, I would oftentimes wait until a sortie to take a shit...

Me too.

Edited by Rainman A-10

With the ipad on airplane mode (ya know, because of all the interference it causes to the instruments...), you'd have to be on a pretty epically long sortie to totally deplete the batter only occasionally referencing pubs. If you're using a GPS puck, foreflight, ok, maybe but come on...it's just OGV being queepy if this is actually true.

New thought: ipad mini as EFB. Cheaper to acquire, potentially better form factor for strapping to your leg, pretty much exactly the same capes. Thoughts?

We were just talking about this on a flight yesterday. The size of the current iPad is really the only detractor. And ive got nothing but praise for Foreflight; dropping into little fields like 57GA or GE99 it's essential, those places don't even exist in the AFD.

AMC sounds like they are queepy about nonsense like they've always been. It was a good starter assignment, but glad I GTFO as soon as I could.

Don't tell OGV. I don't think Foreflight is on the list of one (or in some cases two) approved apps.

It probably depends on what phase your base is in... Ours is in phase 2, and it came loaded on our iPads...along with ARINC Direct & JeppFD.

• 3 weeks later...

Not everyone flies 5.0s and is not in-flight refuelable, like you.

Agreed, iPad mini is probably abetter alternative.

• 1 year later...

Anyone flown with an ADS-B receiver? or something comparable?

Flew a friends Navaho with Bluetooth linked ADS-B to iPads using Garmin Pilot app. Very cool. Also streamed a little classic rock in the background. Had more information readily available than in a commercial airline cockpit.

I have been known to "unofficially" throw my ADS-B receiver up on the dash of the jet and have it feed to my iPad. But only above 10,000' of course...

How well does it work? What model? Just starting to look into them... we haven't really started flying with iPads yet, but would like to be able to use these receivers when we finally do. I guess I have to research the rules on them a bit more too.