Electronic flight bags could boost operational safety, effectiveness

ClearedHot

We have otter containers issued with out ipads but most people took them off because they more than double the bulk. I have an apple smart cover on mine and it covers the screen and that's it. We've yet to have anyone hurt or break their ipads, and like I said, it's cheaper for the command to by every flyer a new ipad every single year than it is to continue getting paper FLIP.

That price quote has been thrown around a lot. I don't mean to nay say the eReader idea, I think it's great. But, are we really paying for the "paper" FLIP or the licensing for the data on the flip? In other words, will we really save much money when we keep paying whoever to load the most current data on our iPads?

I'm not super-familiar with the details but it's my understanding that it's radically cheaper to move to e-FLIP no matter what e-Reader or tablet you choose. That's what sold it to AFSOC leadership, let alone the increased usability or the weight savings on the airplanes.

A buddy in my squadron is intimately familiar with the numbers and did a lot of the analysis personally, PM me if you really want to get the full-up report and I'm sure I can get him to send it to ya on .mil.

Well it looks like, no sh*t, we're getting the iPad to replace our epubs thumb drives this weekend at drill. I inquired about electronically sourced FLIP, and was told that the software for updating those pubs are still in testing, but they are on there way. Our Stan/Eval guys were literally running iTunes on our baseops computer and individually updating the software and pubs for roughly 200 iPad 3rd generations.

Should be interesting because I was also told that if you lose it, you pay for it. The Air Force only bought enough for issue and not to replace. Great!

Should be interesting because I was also told that if you lose it, you pay for it. The Air Force only bought enough for issue and not to replace. Great!

We had a guy get his stolen out of his truck recently, not sure if he has to pay for a new one but he did have to give a brief on Training Day about the importance on not leaving things in your vehicle. SQ/CC definitely gave him some sh*t during the brief too, pretty funny.

We were told AMC bought the first batch, any replacements required had to be paid for by the squadron. Not necessarily the individual.

Ours are beginning to be issued. They bought OtterBoxes for all of them, so we're looking at approx. $700 per iPad.

They only have epubs on them. The epubs are not current.

They currently have no way to update them (apparently our comm folks won't allow iTunes on any .gov computer, regardless of network status).

They're trying to get a secure wifi setup in the building for updating them, but $$ is a major factor.

There's more, but I'm tired of thinking about it...

Ours are beginning to be issued. They bought OtterBoxes for all of them, so we're looking at approx. $700 per iPad.

They currently have no way to update them (apparently our comm folks won't allow iTunes on any .gov computer, regardless of network status).

They're trying to get a secure wifi setup in the building for updating them, but $$ is a major factor.

There's more, but I'm tired of thinking about it...

Ours are issued the same way with the otterbox. As far as updating e-pubs. Each Sq has a dedicated tough book laptop that is dedicated only to iPad e-pubs updates. It's not connected to the network and e-pubs is updated by Stan/Eval via spinning hard drive.

All of those things can be overcome man, keep pressing. Once you get a good system in place it's infinitely easier to update your personal pubs and the ipad has about 69 extra features that aren't included in a bag full of paper. And tell your comm folks they're full of sh*t, itunes can absolutely go on a stand-alone pub server from which all the squadron ipads get synced.

What about a standalone mission planning computer?

Do they have them locked down somehow so users can't install additional apps or muck around with anything on there? Wasn't aware there was a way to lock iOS down like that beyond parental controls. Are they all running the regular iOS or some special AF version?

No special locked down IOS - just the threat of a pubs Q3 if one is found to have done anything else on the EFB other than its intended use.

No one has pressed to test, yet.

Edited by Champ Kind

What about a standalone mission planning computer?

We have a standalone mission planning computer with iTunes. Plug in your issued iPad and copy the .zip file to GoodReader.

No special locked down IOS - just the threat of a pubs Q3 if one is found to have done anything else on the EFB other than it's intended use.

No one has pressed to test, yet.

Our AMC versions are supposedly locked down, not that I care to try to mess with it. They have deleted most of the apps, such as Safari and whatnot. It is a glorified Kindle right now (Phase I), but will soon have FLIP and supposedly eventually Facetime, work email, and lots of other things.

The one I have has all my personal apps on it as well as the squadron-provided apps (phaero, good reader, etc.) that have out pubs, checklists, etc. Nothing locked down at all, no special software. They were locked down initially but that was lifted quickly.

All of those things can be overcome man, keep pressing. Once you get a good system in place it's infinitely easier to update your personal pubs and the ipad has about 69 extra features that aren't included in a bag full of paper. And tell your comm folks they're full of sh*t, itunes can absolutely go on a stand-alone pub server from which all the squadron ipads get synced.

I already suggested simply putting iTunes on the epubs computer we already have in the briefing room, and setting it up to sync everyone's iPads to the current epubs by simply plugging them in (before they even started issuing them). The powers-that-be have decided "that's too hard", and are padlocked to setting up a $ecure wifi in the building to $ync over the air. Meanwhile, we basically can't use the fucking things because the epubs on it are out of date.

My lowly TSgt/TR opinion counts for somewhere between jack and shit in this fight - too many O-5s cockfighting for the OPR bullet...

• Upvote 1

You guys in the 514th are fucked up. That is exactly what the AD on base are doing...

Yep. We like to throw spears at the AD, but they've got us beat six ways from Sunday on this one.

Maybe the incoming OG/CC can unfuck this...

I think just about all of our ipads have been issued out. Luckily we're in Phase II, and able to use them for FLIP as well. Used it this week in the jet on a local, and can say that it was so much better than that damn book with all of the paper falling out of it. As far as updating, we have a stand alone computer acting as a server that is connected to the squadron wifi only. Guys connect to the squadron wifi, then set up a sync on goodreader to the epubs drive. Once that's set up, you just hit the green sync button in goodreader and it scans it for anything new and downloads it. We've also set up collaborative files so that guys can post mission planning info and share it with other guys on the crew. Its worked great so far. I just wish the AF would come up with a better app for FLIP than that Pharo app. That thing blows.

Is upgrading to Phase 2 based off a squadron level or individual at this point? Any tips on how to save highlights or bookmarks before updating with changes?

You can save the marked up file in a separate folder in good reader that doesn't have to be deleted when you update your pubs. Stan eval approved.

• 1 month later...

"... What's your aviation background?"

Thank you for the "Welcome" Born in New Orleans, LA a hundred years ago it seems. Dropped out of high school to join the Air Force in 1955. I became an aircraft mechanic. Obtaining my GED within the first year of service, I spent the next four years as an aircraft mechanic in places such as Texas, Florida, Spain and Michigan before going to school to become a Flight Engineer.

Assigned as a Flight Engineer on C-124, C-130, C-141 and eventually C-5s, I spent the next 21 years flying the line and obtaining my Pilot's License.

Upon retirement from the Air Force October 1st 1981 and completing college work for a BBA-Management degree under the Vietnam Veteran's G.I. Bill, at Kennesaw College (Now Kennesaw State University) in Marietta, GA I went to work flying and teaching the B-727 for Flight International, Inc. in Atlanta GA.

The day that company was sold I was hired by Continental Airlines in Houston, Texas 1984. I became the Chief Ground School Instructor for the B-727 in the Flight Training Department at Houston Intercontinental Airport.

UPS started its airline in 1988 and hired me in April of that year as part of the Initial Cadre to start up a B-747 Pilot Training Program. We had the program up and running in September of 1988 and the first 108 UPS Pilots to fly the UPS B-747 were trained in my classroom. I retired from Aviation in 1998

• Upvote 2

Upon retirement from the Air Force October 1st 1981 and completing college work for a BBA-Management degree under the Vietnam Veteran's G.I. Bill, at Kennesaw College (Now Kennesaw State University) in Marietta, GA I went to work flying and teaching the B-727 for Flight International, Inc. in Atlanta GA.

Fellow Marietta native and KSU graduate here. Got my PPL and instrument over at KRYY just after high school. Welcome to the board!