Electronic flight bags could boost operational safety, effectiveness

ClearedHot

You know they have the NGA FLIP data for iPad Phaero app on CDs which are (or can be) sent to units every FLIP cycle right?

Then the trick is sharing/finding the CD...damn OSA guys....

Not totally new---AMC FCIF released this past summer. Check your FCBs.

Approval to Fly Jepp Terminal Instrument Procedures Without TERPS Review(11-08-17)

HQ USAF/A3O granted AMC/A3 a waiver to the AFI 11-202V3 requirement to conduct TERPS reviews of Jeppesen instrument procedures constructed from United States Government aeronautical data in August 2011. This FCIF provides clarity and rescinds and replaces FCIF 11-08-17.

The use of Jeppesen procedures without a TERPS review is authorized when within the National Airspace System (NAS), at a specially-accredited location, or at a non-specially-accredited location having the exact same DOD published procedure available. For specially-accredited and non-specially-accredited procedures when also published by the DoD, pilots will conduct a comparison review of the two procedures and use the DoD in any case where significant differences are noted. For non-specially-accredited procedures, if the exact same DoD published procedure is not available, the pilot will obtain full TERPS/FTIP review of the Jeppesen procedure prior to use.

The most current USAF specially-accredited list will be available within AMC ePubs in the ALL GLOBAL /FLIP folder.

Pilots flying Jeppesen procedures must have completed Jeppesen training via the Instrument Refresher Course or from an approved ATS contract course and must check Jeppesen NOTAMS prior to the use of a procedure. Jeppesen NOTAMS can be found at: http://www.jeppesen....erts/alerts.jsp

Of course we didn't see this at the schoolhouse. Wouldn't it be nice if we knew what our students were doing operationally when they get out in the fleet? Just for clarification, is AMC saying that I can fly any jepps procedure in a special accredited nation without a TERPS review? I.e., I'm tasked to go to Le Bourget -- just grab the jepp plates and go -- no review required? This would have saved a lot of heartburn/bribes to DAOs during my time in USAFE!

You know they have the NGA FLIP data for iPad Phaero app on CDs which are (or can be) sent to units every FLIP cycle right?

Then the trick is sharing/finding the CD...damn OSA guys....

You can also download the updates from the NGA site

You can also download the updates from the NGA site

The internet is too slow in Germany...and transferring the files to a hard drive w/ all the network rules and special clearances makes is worth using the CD here.

• 1 month later...

I can guarantee the AF will royally ###### this up...like pay triple.

You called it with the price AMC is paying for iPad 2's.

Oh BTW - there are draft AFIs covering iPad usage in the works....we'll see how this works out.

The Beta version 3 is being released soon, will have better program control options (like dimming, swipe b/t IAPs, etc).

Slowly but surely....

My C-130 iPad holder, Version 2.0, will be available in a month-ish. Prices, pictures, etc to follow...

It'll be compatible with all C-130E/H/J approach bracket nubs already in the cockpit. All you'd need is the holder; It'll support iPad/iPad 2/iPad 3.

Allegedly, our OG got the funds, and purchased iPads (the third-gen that everyone is calling the iPad 3) for every crewmember in the OG. Expected arrival is in the next few weeks. No details yet about the configuration, restrictions (if any), update method(s), etc.

The source of the rumor is pretty high up on the food chain.... but I'll believe it when I sign the hand receipt.

29Apr edit: if the "i pad 3" in the first line shows up on your screen as an eBay link, I didn't do that....

Edited by JarheadBoom

You called it with the price AMC is paying for iPad 2's.

Oh BTW - there are draft AFIs covering iPad usage in the works....we'll see how this works out.

The Beta version 3 is being released soon, will have better program control options (like dimming, swipe b/t IAPs, etc).

Slowly but surely....

My C-130 iPad holder, Version 2.0, will be available in a month-ish. Prices, pictures, etc to follow...

It'll be compatible with all C-130E/H/J approach bracket nubs already in the cockpit. All you'd need is the holder; It'll support iPad/iPad 2/iPad 3.

Can you pass on to the NGA people that if there were any way to reduce the download from ~3.0gb per cycle to something manageable like the Jepp app (~150mb a cycle)?

Suggestion: the updates only replace the changed charts as opposed to every chart.

Can you pass on to the NGA people that if there were any way to reduce the download from ~3.0gb per cycle to something manageable like the Jepp app (~150mb a cycle)?

Suggestion: the updates only replace the changed charts as opposed to every chart.

This is the government...we don't do anything efficiently when there's no incentive to do so...

Doesn't the NGA already mail a DVD with all the FLIP on soft copy along with the Pubs themselves? It'd be a pretty easy change to just stop mailing the paper pubs and send a couple DVDs to use on a stand alone computer that you'd use to update the iPads.

As far as the green photo gel to make em NVG usable: using the black/white conversion setting along with the filter made it tolerable as long as you didn't look directly at the screen, but a no-shit NVIS filter is the way to go in my opinion if you're doing anything tactical. Bonus: modern NVIS filters don't totally dork up the screen colors, just tint them slightly and there's thin stick on film available nowadays.

I have a CF-29 laptop screen NVG filter that I'm customizing to fit my iPad. Right now it's too long and wide (ha!) and needs to be reshaped to match iPad screen. It does allow touch screen capability still.

FYSA: https://militarycac.com/PDFs/PKardForIOSPressRelease.pdf

ARLINGTON, Texas, April 18, 2012 – Thursby Software Systems, Inc., launches PKard ® Reader, the world’s first secure Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod touch web browser solution, a combination of a $149.99 plug-in card reader using industry standard CAC, PIV, PIV-I or CIV smart cards and a free app leveraging two-factor authentication.

Very iiiiiiinterestink...

It'd be a pretty easy change to just stop mailing the paper pubs and send a couple DVDs to use on a stand alone computer that you'd use to update the iPads.

According to an NGA rep last week, AMC DODAACs will completely stop receiving paper products Dec of this year. They will 100% be using DVDs / the internets to update FLIP. Who knows when this will happen for the other commands, but suspect it'll be a while for the non-heavy communities. And personally I hope to God they come up with another solution besides the ipad for fighters.

Edited by brabus

According to an NGA rep last week, AMC DODAACs will completely stop receiving paper products Dec of this year. They will 100% be using DVDs / the internets to update FLIP. Who knows when this will happen for the other commands, but suspect it'll be a while for the non-heavy communities. And personally I hope to God they come up with another solution besides the ipad for fighters.

Flighter guys fly instrument approaches?

Hopefully it is Through DVDs instead of the Internet, since the NGA has a shitty download cap of 500k.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any updates? Which holder did you mean (the spring clip)? Not to down play the initiative, but I wonder how the industrial suction-cup to a cockpit window works? Has anyone tried it?

Anyone successful in getting their Sqd to pay for Foreflight?

Any updates? Which holder did you mean (the spring clip)? Not to down play the initiative, but I wonder how the industrial suction-cup to a cockpit window works? Has anyone tried it?

Anyone successful in getting their Sqd to pay for Foreflight?

The squads don't really have much control yet. Also, we can't go online with Wifi until a secure network is set up (next year some point IIRC), even then I don't know how useful something like ForeFlight will be because I don't know if we'll be allowed to access the interwebs. From my cursory glance at the ForeFlight webpage, it seems Phaero has a lot of the same functionality besides any real time WX updates or NOTAMS. Even so, most of us have something like that on our cell phones for real time updating.

For the time being, we have GoodReader with all of our pubs and Phaero which has airfield info, charts, and flip. Pretty convenient for mission planning and it will be nice when we don't have to carry 100 lbs of flip out to the plane.