Electronic flight bags could boost operational safety, effectiveness

ClearedHot

I don't need a $500 PDF reader (the FLIP book works just fine for now), but we are going to need a way of better interfacing with Integrated DAPA.

Sounds like someone who hasn't had to drag around 60lbs of worldwide flip. Integrated stuff is great, but it seems like it devolves into feature creep, missed deadlines, and something painful for the end user to actually use.

Our TODO just brought us our iPads today at drill. They're off the network, and updated manually once a week by the TODO and his appointed help. HUGE improvement over the toughbook/laptops. Not having to login with a CAC and check for a daily sync, etc. is going to be great. Grab n go is where it's at!

Sounds like someone who hasn't had to drag around 60lbs of worldwide flip. Integrated stuff is great, but it seems like it devolves into feature creep, missed deadlines, and something painful for the end user to actually use.

Nope I certainly have. Good thing is you can put the whole bag down. I only use one book at a time, so maybe I'm not a paper power-user.

My point though had nothing to do with the advantages of EFBs. Believe me, I get it.

It has more to do with people trying to piss up a rope to get iPads for crews and they have no technical understanding how our crews/platform systems works. I am sure every dude wants a free iPad, but it's going to be a waste the minute we have to use the Windows based one because of our other technical limitations.

We have a depot and development team for a reason.

Sounds about right for a govt program. Progress being held up by one person.

I'm not totally up to speed on the whole thing, but I know ejection seats are part of the problem. Another part is what device do you use, since you need EMI testing/release by specific model as well as security concerns given that multiple ACC aircraft operate at the program level on a day to day basis. Once you put those two things together you have a sustainment problem to consider. Staff work is boring and frustrating....

Fortunately unit tech refresh costs are on the Wings, you they can get them if they want.

I might be slightly off, but that's "tech refresh" not new capability. Tech refresh dollars maintain already existent IT items for unit C4 situations. Now, I'm not dense, I know we "cross the streams" on money where necessary to do the job, but by-the-book that's not what that money is for...and not all of us work where we can pretend that's true.

I might be slightly off, but that's "tech refresh" not new capability. Tech refresh dollars maintain already existent IT items for unit C4 situations. Now, I'm not dense, I know we "cross the streams" on money where necessary to do the job, but by-the-book that's not what that money is for...and not all of us work where we can pretend that's true.

i may be slightly off but Azimuth's original post was referencing an AMC wing that had iPads already and they seem to be replacing them with the iPad mini. Home star was replying to that post wrt tech refresh not new purchases. And if not then MacDill found a way, but again AMC is already on the EFB train. Edited by Herk Driver

i may be slightly off but Azimuth's original post was referencing an AMC wing that had iPads already and they seem to be replacing them with the iPad mini. Home star was replying to that post wrt tech refresh not new purchases. And if not then MacDill found a way, but again AMC is already on the EFB train.

They're not replacing them, they're in Phase III of AMC's EFB program. All aircrew members have their own iPad's, however the crews check out iPad Mini's in a electronic FLIP bag instead of using paper FLIP.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone currently using the Foreflight Military Flight Bag software? I have the Foreflight basic subscription on my IPad mini and occasionally strap it to my knee for a bit more SA and I like it, but it would be nice to have the worldwide Flip accessible on Foreflight. I thought they used to give this option at no additional charge, but now there website shows $299 for an annual subscription to the MFB. That's steep considering my current subscription is $75.

Nope I certainly have. Good thing is you can put the whole bag down. I only use one book at a time, so maybe I'm not a paper power-user.

My point though had nothing to do with the advantages of EFBs. Believe me, I get it.

It has more to do with people trying to piss up a rope to get iPads for crews and they have no technical understanding how our crews/platform systems works. I am sure every dude wants a free iPad, but it's going to be a waste the minute we have to use the Windows based one because of our other technical limitations.

We have a depot and development team for a reason.

"Every dude wants a free iPad"? Ours are checked out at step, then turned back in. Total of 8 regular iPads (for the guys in the back) and 8 iPad minis (for the guys with less storage space up front).

Perhaps there is some unique quirk about your aircraft that prevents you from using iPads...but since AMC already has them and has demonstrated them, that's what we went with. And it was still a year of wrangling with ACC to get them approved. Even now we're still in the trial phase, so we're carrying paper AND iPads.

"Every dude wants a free iPad"? Ours are checked out at step, then turned back in. Total of 8 regular iPads (for the guys in the back) and 8 iPad minis (for the guys with less storage space up front).

C17 aircrew get issued their own iPad by the unit to keep till the PCS.

If I remember right AMC published battery charging guidelines for OGVs when Phase II started. How harsh your OGV is on enforcing a charging standard probably varies by unit. In my current unit my guess is that my iPad is more charged and up to date than my DOV's. A Q3 for pubs for a low charge on an iPad would be a jerk move, I think.

Do the aircraft that are utilizing EFBs have a USB plug-in to recharge/power them during flight? Most GA aircraft have that ability and I'm wondering if the USAF has had the foresight to add the feature to its aircraft as well.

I once heard a rumor (myth, hopefully) that it's a Q3 if it's not above 90% charged at step time... Truth?

Going rate is 10% for every hour of flight but a minimum of 50%. The C17 has power outlets to charge the iPads on. Yes you can Q3 for not having the iPad configured and charged. Tthere's actually a preflight and postflight checklist to properly configure your EFB for flight.