Electronic flight bags could boost operational safety, effectiveness

ClearedHot

I offer my services for this effort. I have a computer science degree, nearly a thousand hours terabytes of flight *.pptx experience, and some experience in creating attachments power point presentations for the jets.

FIFY

Y'all have a good chunk of experience here that could make a sweet iPad setup for all of us. Go for it!

How would the Figher-types feel about a pair of velcro straps that could attach it to your leg like a checklist? It seems to me that it would be usable in every airframe.

Thoughts?

I think Swizzle just figured out his exit strategy from the AF and his way to build his nestegg! :beer:

ADSC ends around 2017...after start of airline hiring...military TAC flying is where it's at though...so much fun in a Herk.

How would the Figher-types feel about a pair of velcro straps that could attach it to your leg like a checklist? It seems to me that it would be usable in every airframe.

Thoughts?

Better hurry...established companies are all over this already. If you can make a better product though I'm 100% behind ya, I know a whole squadron of guys who are figuring out ways to attach iPads to either their legs or random parts of the cabin.

Not yet. Supposedly, it is coming soon.

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/aviation/commercial/mobilefd/

Scheduled to launch the first quarter of 2012 for U.S. airline and military customers*, our Mobile FliteDeck application will transform the commercial aviation industry and military flying operations by helping our airline and military partners transition to a dynamic, paperless cockpit.
Edited by ThreeHoler

Hey, do any of you guys know if a Jeppesen military account holder will be able to use the Jeppesen mobile flight deck app on iPad?

If you want a work around, you can save a PDF of an airports Jepp charts then view them in an app such as good reader. Works just as well if you just want to view approach plates, SIDs, & STARs. Also allows you to make notes on them if you wish (especially handy for showing taxiway closures or unsuitable areas.

This would be great, except AMC makes is so difficult to use Jepp plates.

At least you can now use them CONUS & the "specially accredited" fields.

This is new. 11-202/217 reference? FCIF?

Not totally new---AMC FCIF released this past summer. Check your FCBs.

Approval to Fly Jepp Terminal Instrument Procedures Without TERPS Review(11-08-17)

HQ USAF/A3O granted AMC/A3 a waiver to the AFI 11-202V3 requirement to conduct TERPS reviews of Jeppesen instrument procedures constructed from United States Government aeronautical data in August 2011. This FCIF provides clarity and rescinds and replaces FCIF 11-08-17.

The use of Jeppesen procedures without a TERPS review is authorized when within the National Airspace System (NAS), at a specially-accredited location, or at a non-specially-accredited location having the exact same DOD published procedure available. For specially-accredited and non-specially-accredited procedures when also published by the DoD, pilots will conduct a comparison review of the two procedures and use the DoD in any case where significant differences are noted. For non-specially-accredited procedures, if the exact same DoD published procedure is not available, the pilot will obtain full TERPS/FTIP review of the Jeppesen procedure prior to use.

The most current USAF specially-accredited list will be available within AMC ePubs in the ALL GLOBAL /FLIP folder.

Pilots flying Jeppesen procedures must have completed Jeppesen training via the Instrument Refresher Course or from an approved ATS contract course and must check Jeppesen NOTAMS prior to the use of a procedure. Jeppesen NOTAMS can be found at: http://www.jeppesen.com/company/alerts/alerts.jsp

Edited by Techsan

Too big and bulky for practical fighter use. I could see something more along the lines of a kindle size...would be nice to just throw something like that in the map case for the 1/200 flights I actually use FLIP (the real benefit would be the ease of FLIP update).

Too big and bulky for practical fighter use. I could see something more along the lines of a kindle size...would be nice to just throw something like that in the map case for the 1/200 flights I actually use FLIP (the real benefit would be the ease of FLIP update).

Can I assume that 1 of 200 times is for long-range flights or flights to unfamiliar airfields?

Not totally new---AMC FCIF released this past summer. Check your FCBs.

Approval to Fly Jepp Terminal Instrument Procedures Without TERPS Review(11-08-17)

HQ USAF/A3O granted AMC/A3 a waiver to the AFI 11-202V3 requirement to conduct TERPS reviews of Jeppesen instrument procedures constructed from United States Government aeronautical data in August 2011. This FCIF provides clarity and rescinds and replaces FCIF 11-08-17.

The use of Jeppesen procedures without a TERPS review is authorized when within the National Airspace System (NAS), at a specially-accredited location, or at a non-specially-accredited location having the exact same DOD published procedure available. For specially-accredited and non-specially-accredited procedures when also published by the DoD, pilots will conduct a comparison review of the two procedures and use the DoD in any case where significant differences are noted. For non-specially-accredited procedures, if the exact same DoD published procedure is not available, the pilot will obtain full TERPS/FTIP review of the Jeppesen procedure prior to use.

The most current USAF specially-accredited list will be available within AMC ePubs in the ALL GLOBAL /FLIP folder.

Pilots flying Jeppesen procedures must have completed Jeppesen training via the Instrument Refresher Course or from an approved ATS contract course and must check Jeppesen NOTAMS prior to the use of a procedure. Jeppesen NOTAMS can be found at: http://www.jeppesen....erts/alerts.jsp

I had forgotten about that FCIF.

Personally, if there is a DoD plate available I prefer to use those. The times I need Jepps are the times I'm flying to a field with no DoD plate, making a TERPS review necessary.

I should probably start flying with both just to get more familiar with the Jeppesen products.

Can I assume that 1 of 200 times is for long-range flights or flights to unfamiliar airfields?

Mostly, but the point is, if I need to pull out an apch plate, I don't want something the size of an IPAD on my leg...the reason I bring up a kindle is because it's about the same size as a VOL XX and is lighter than an IPAD. An IPAD is WAY overkill for the fighter world, but I can see the utility in a community who does a lot of flying in "random" parts of the world and needs more than the occasional apch plate.

Mostly, but the point is, if I need to pull out an apch plate, I don't want something the size of an IPAD on my leg...the reason I bring up a kindle is because it's about the same size as a VOL XX and is lighter than an IPAD. An IPAD is WAY overkill for the fighter world, but I can see the utility in a community who does a lot of flying in "random" parts of the world and needs more than the occasional apch plate.

Thanks for the info.

My unsolicited two cents is that the commercial market already has enough knee boards out there that accomodate the iPad/iPad2. Creating an attachment for aircraft is certainly a possibility, but these seem to be aircraft-specific (what works on a C-130 isn't going to work on a B-52 or an F-16). Something Kindle-sized is indeed very close to the size of a standard appch plate and I think it would be more ideal than an iPad for smaller cockpits.

So, in short, Good luck on the iPad attachment for the -130 world. So far, they look good. Keep us posted on any snags you guys hit, but there's little I can do with respect to hardware.

If we are talking about how to use them, then I can certainly write software to assist, but realize all of the appraoch plates we use already are available via pdf-formatted files and are viewable on the iPad. Using Jeppsen seems to be overkill. Now using an iPad for charts would be good for some folks, but a lot of charts include PFPS-specific stuff (i.e. threats) or are generated in SIPR systems and aren't transferable to iPad. More than that, they are not exactly EM-silent or EMP hardened, so there are further restrictions potentially out there.

If someone wants to get together and come up with a flight-following map app based on GPS inputs, I'd be happy to help.

While I think the iPad is a good idea in General, I'm not so sure the full-blown ramifications ahve been completely considered.

Do you guys realize the NGA app for the iPad is available on the NGA website? Its been there for at least a few weeks - the fun part is getting it from the NGA site to your home computer - along with the monster chart files...

Yeah, no kidding. I decided to download the files direct to Goodreader instead of using their app, and that alone took almost an hour. I won't be doing that again! If I need anything overseas I'll just download the Jepps instead. For CONUS, Foreflight is the shit!