Casket photo sparks outrage

afnav

Aside from being stupid, this is an amazingly disrespectful thing to do.

I went to flight school, not law school so I can't answer the legal question. It is simple for me. They should be gone.

Completely agree. But dudes here are up in arms about the investigation conclusion that it was not a CRIME.. Let's everybody understand what that would really mean had the investigation turned out differently...arrest, court martial (which--if convicted--would leave a felony on their records), possible jail time, etc. I also think these clowns should be flipping burgers and hope they are soon. But I don't think stupidity, no matter how horrible, offensive or disrespectful, should be the bar for criminal conviction. Get rid of these guys...today. But it wasn't a crime no matter how much anyone wishes it was.

But I don't think stupidity, no matter how horrible, offensive or disrespectful, should be the bar for criminal conviction. Get rid of these guys...today. But it wasn't a crime no matter how much anyone wishes it was.

Agreed....if being stupid was a crime, jails would be more overcrowded than they already are. And some of us would probably be there. Get them out of the AF and move on.

I said hang the dudes when I saw the photo, but reading the story it makes sense. They took the picture to say if you didnt pay attention doing the loading they were doing you can die. Now it should have clicked in someones head that the picture could easily be spun out of context, but they did not take the picture to disrespect the dead troops. They should be punished, but it isnt as bad as it looks on the surface.

As much as I hate to say this, perception is reality anymore.

Hence all the CYA, PC BS we see everyday. Usually via CBT or ppt. (and now fake preggo bellies apparently).

I said hang the dudes when I saw the photo, but reading the story it makes sense. They took the picture to say if you didnt pay attention doing the loading they were doing you can die. Now it should have clicked in someones head that the picture could easily be spun out of context, but they did not take the picture to disrespect the dead troops. They should be punished, but it isnt as bad as it looks on the surface.

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree with this one. I don't think its a crime and I don't think the blame is shared evenly (Training NCO's vs students), but if any of these instructors have worked at a port in the AOR or anywhere that services Mobility aircraft coming out of the AOR then they know the significance and reverence that these transfer cases represent. I've personally flown a few dozen of them in my aircraft, and like I mentioned in my previous post, have probably seen hundreds of them returned to Dover. I don't think the blame should be shared evenly, but there is still plenty to go around. I would go as far as to put using these transfer case pictures as a joke would be near the same level of posing with one of the iconic Arlington tombstones as a "joke". And as far as these students go there is still no excuse. My 5 year old daughter knows what a coffin is and what it means! Even these students know exactly what theses transfer cases are used for... and if we still have good MTI's down at Lackland I hope nobody graduates basic without seeing lots of pictures of 9/11 and these flag draped transfer cases in the back of an aircraft. I don't think they in any way did this to disrespect our fallen heroes, but if these students and instructors aren't smart enough to realize how dumb that was then they aren't smart enough to be in my Air Force and they certainly aren't smart enough to be loading my jet!!!

Edited by Rusty Pipes