IFS and the right sight picture......

Smokey

You put flaps up to minimize lift and put as much weight on the landing gear as possible as to not skid the tires. Brakes stop the airplane, not drag.

*smacks forehead* Makes perfect sense. Thanks. That's what happens when you take too many classes in aerodynamics and fluids.

It doesn't make sense because you don't understand it, which is exactly why you should ask questions. Any IP not willing to take questions is a horrible IP, so yes, ask away, but realize there's a right way to ask a question and a wrong way. Additionally, don't be the guy who could easily find the answer in writing, but is too lazy to read the -1, 2-XXv3, etc. If you read something and don't understand it (including why it's done that way) then ask, but put some effort into finding and figuring it out yourself first.

Got it. Like a forum: use the search button!

In the ops limits, the "Forced landing FINAL APPROACH airspeed (flaps on takeoff)" is "60". Since the flaps will be set to t/o during departure, this just confirms that if you have a malfunction during takeoff and have sufficient runway remaining to land, you will carry out a "forced landing final approach airspeed (flaps t/o)" profile.... 60 knots.

Took me while to figure that one out.

ooohhhhhhhh......now I get it. Yeah, I was wondering why there was a flaps t/o final approach speed...

One piece of advice to the new guys. Learn the local area operating procedures cold. Knowing the airplane is important, but knowing where to park, the rules for the pattern, departure procedures, etc are something you use on every single flight. Knowing the tire pressure on the nose wheel won't do you a damn bit of good when you are sitting at the hold short line and can't remember the proper radio call and clown up the pattern as a result. This will apply to UPT/IFF/RTU as well. By the time you get to your RTU, you'll have about a week to learn what you need to learn about the jet and then be in to the tactics and such. In the Eagle B Course, we had 4 days on systems and then it was right into Offensive BFM and Refueling. The course is 6 months. Do the math.

FWIW, I went through IFS several years ago as a prior CFII and took it lightly. The flying was not a problem for me, but I had my attitude adjusted and conformed to the AF way of business. Pretty humbling, but it worked out well for me.

And last, but certainly not least: Learn to bounce back while at IFS. To even get to that point, you've been a successful person and aren't used to failing. I have a very good friend who had been top dog at every single thing he had ever done until he started flying. He flat out sucked. It took him until T-38's to learn to let it roll off his back and actually LEARN from his mistakes. Telling yourself "I suck, I'll never get this" does you no good. Going back on your flights and remembering when you pulled power and floated too far on landing and adjusting from that will make you better. My technique whenever I do something incorrectly is to look at it as a challenge and best that challenge. It's just the dumb jock in me, but I turn things like that into a competition. I get pissed off AT THE PROBLEM (not myself) and attack it until I have beaten it (sts). Find what works for you, and deal with problems, not beat yourself up. Best of luck to all!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

One piece of advice to the new guys. Learn the local area operating procedures cold. Knowing the airplane is important, but knowing where to park, the rules for the pattern, departure procedures, etc are something you use on every single flight. Knowing the tire pressure on the nose wheel won't do you a damn bit of good when you are sitting at the hold short line and can't remember the proper radio call and clown up the pattern as a result. This will apply to UPT/IFF/RTU as well. By the time you get to your RTU, you'll have about a week to learn what you need to learn about the jet and then be in to the tactics and such. In the Eagle B Course, we had 4 days on systems and then it was right into Offensive BFM and Refueling. The course is 6 months. Do the math.

FWIW, I went through IFS several years ago as a prior CFII and took it lightly. The flying was not a problem for me, but I had my attitude adjusted and conformed to the AF way of business. Pretty humbling, but it worked out well for me.

And last, but certainly not least: Learn to bounce back while at IFS. To even get to that point, you've been a successful person and aren't used to failing. I have a very good friend who had been top dog at every single thing he had ever done until he started flying. He flat out sucked. It took him until T-38's to learn to let it roll off his back and actually LEARN from his mistakes. Telling yourself "I suck, I'll never get this" does you no good. Going back on your flights and remembering when you pulled power and floated too far on landing and adjusting from that will make you better. My technique whenever I do something incorrectly is to look at it as a challenge and best that challenge. It's just the dumb jock in me, but I turn things like that into a competition. I get pissed off AT THE PROBLEM (not myself) and attack it until I have beaten it (sts). Find what works for you, and deal with problems, not beat yourself up. Best of luck to all!

Well said!

Smokey

Good questions, I'd like to know too.

Also, Smokey, don't know if you can answer this, but what is the format of the BF/OL test? It is exactly like the tables they give you in the arrival guide, but with the operations or numbers blanked out? Like, we'll get a piece of paper that says "Engine fire on the ground, Electrical fire on the ground", etc, then we write in "Fuel Shutoff Valve - Off, Cabin Heat - Off" under it?

Yes....and no. By that I mean that you'll take BF/OL on both the computer (via GTIMS test module) and hand written.

For the hand written BF, you fill in a blank block. When you write, or type, you'll use capital letters. e.g. FUEL SHUTOFF VALVE - OFF, etc.

Ops limits are blank for the "red" items. They also must be answered exactly. e.g. Total usable fuel is 24.0 not 24. Although, by checkride, you'll want to know all the ops limits. The red ops limits are those critical phase of flight items that must be known for immediate recall.

For the checkride, you'll do a hand written BF....just like UPT. So be ready.

Hope that helps,

Smokey

I wouldn't worry about them changing in 3 months. Even if they did it wouldn't be more than 1 number or so. But in reality I wouldn't start studying 3 months out either. It took me 30 minutes one day to memorize it all then 10 minutes a couple days in a row to review what I memorized.

I havn't been to IFS yet but after talking to some buddies who just took the test they gave me a few tips like that one:

1) The fuel capacity is "24.0" not "24"

2) For the BF remember to write it out in all capital letters.

3) AIRSPEED - 60 "KIAS" not "KTS" or "KNOTS"

4) FLAPS - "LDG" not "LANDING"

All true, but the BF is also stated in a specific way. So, for instance, while written AIRSPEED - 60 KIAS, it is spoken as "AIRSPEED - 60 KNOTS." Not meant to be a "haze" in anyway as this is not uncommon across many MWS.

Cheers,

Smokey

Got it, thanks. Couple more questions, if you don't mind...

1. On the BF, the procedures for Abort are THROTTLE - IDLE, BRAKES - AS REQUIRED, and FLAPS - CRUISE. Why cruise? For an aborted takeoff, wouldn't you want to make the aircraft as draggy as possible? Full flaps are practically like speed brakes on most aircraft I've flown. Sure, if you're going above 55 you might pop off the ground for a sec, but with the engine cut and full flaps, you'll drop back down damn quick and stay there.

2. Similarly, for an engine malfunction it says to maintain 60 KIAS. Wouldn't you want to go to best glide (73) until you're on short final and you know you'll make the runway?

Also, I know you've mentioned a few times that no one cares how you were taught to fly before, the point of IFS is to teach you how to fly the AF way, and to just shut up and do it. I'm fine with that, but I'd like to know why I'm doing it that way. The AF does a lot of crap that doesn't make sense, but I'd like to think we're pretty damn good at flying. Do IP's, either at IFS or UPT, mind students asking "why" questions like those, as long as you don't argue and do it?

I think someone else answered this as well, but I'll saddle up.

Flaps cruise during the abort is meant to help remove lift from the wing. The aircraft is very light, has basically a glider wing, and while the drag of LDG flaps in the air is large, it's counter to your purpose on an abort. Flaps cruise is to kill lift and put more weight/friction coefficient between the tire and the runway. Most will also apply the accepted techniques of introducing aft stick to keep weight on the mains (not an aero brake in this aircraft) to aid in the stopping distance and apply brakes more as the speed slows.

As to the engine failure and airspeed, there are two scenarios that dictate 60 KIAS. One is BF (Sufficient Runway Remaining to Land) and one is "memory" (Insufficient Power After T/O). Those both occur in the takeoff (could be a touch and go) phase of flight. The BF is written that way to accomodate the high density altitudes we fly at in hot weather and ensure you have sufficient energy to cover the drag caused by the flaps going from 15 degrees to 45 degrees. The memory item addresses 60 KIAS as it is assumed you are only a few hundred feet on the departure leg still in flaps T/O. At that time you strive to achieve/maintain the forced landing speed since past the departure end of the runway for your current configuration.

None of that should be confused with the stated forced landing speeds which assume you entered the forced landing pattern at the high key. Then, when landing is assured, you'll transition to the stated speeds once flaps are introduced. Yes, prior to that point you'd want to ensure you are flaps Cruise and 73 knots. When we practice simulated forced landings, we do fly at 60 as a margin of safety at flaps LDG. Real forced landing, you'd fly 55 after selecting landing flaps.....clear as mud.

Regarding your last question, I think I demonstrated I don't mind "why" questions. So long as such questions aren't questioning why something was graded where it was because it didn't follow the procedures. As far as the "why" I expect you to do X, Y, or Z as described, it's because at this stage you want to be able to show I can put my aircraft in parameter/position consistently. This is a relatively controlled training environment. Just like UPT. A few minor issues arise that require a "deviation" but are usually caused by weather (say working below normal area block altitudes for example). With that said, I'll still perform the maneuver the same way while ensuring any minimum altitudes, etc., are satisfied. See the difference?

Bottom line, no one is shooting at you in IFS or UPT. You got a way to go before you get there. When that day comes, you'll do what's needed to "deviate" from the ATO/Frag within any limitations specified, and then if you can get back on and achieve your specified weapons delivery parameters using the skills honed by consistently placing your aircraft in position to accomplish the mission objective during your training/practice, you'll employ the weapon. If not, you'll go over dry and come back another day. There will come a day when a little "freestyle" or innovation is required. Flexibility is the key to airpower! However, even when you are operational, that innovation will be a measured decision and not some fly by night approach. It will also be made relative to what the mission objectives are and any specified requirements/limitations. You ever find yourself in a position where you can't make it happen, you'll call a knock-it-off.

Bottom line, in a UPT type of environment, shut up (don't take that wrong) and color inside the lines you've been provided. The more you demonstrate that ability, the more I will trust you down range to do the right thing at the right time.

Smokey

Edited by Smokey

I've been busy and away from the forum. Once again, sorry for the late replies to posts. For those that are on here, do your best to provide some mutual support to you class mates and pass the word.

Any 12-09 inbounds on the forum? If so, and you're D flight, we'll have our first meeting on the 28th of Feb.

IFS is a "sprint." In that I mean it is full throttle the entire course. Put your game face on and be ready to go. There are few, if any, chances to catch up if you fall behind so come with focus and determination. The syllabus is written the way it is written. It is your "threat" as the AF has limited investment in you at this point and wants to identify those that stumble and show limited potential to succeed down range. Had 3 wash out from 12-07D. All of them applied themselves and gave 110%. As I told them, they have nothing to feel bad about because of the very fact they gave it their all. We had some others struggle but get through in the end. That is all typical at IFS. If you're curious, some of the washouts had flying time. Some of those that struggled but made it through, had zero time prior to entering IFS.

This will be the first struggle for most that haven't had trouble succeeding in other endeavors prior to IFS. Come in, give it your all, and you can make it through if you have the right attributes to be a pilot in the AF, pay attention to detail, and apply yourself with true focus.

Good luck to all.

Smokey

Edited by Smokey

Two quick questions that I can't seem to find an answer to:

1. I'm arriving to the local airport on Day 0 at about 1015. So I will have to change into blues once I get my room assignment. Anyone recommend getting there a day early. Yes I know I will pay that cost, but I'm coming from Alaska and will be taking a red eye out, i.e midnight T/O, and flying all night to get there.

Also I read about the AETC patches which I have from previous tech schools, but I am coming TDY from an operational flying squadron...do I replace my MAJCOM patch and any others to conform (I have no issues with it, just wondered)

Also I read about the AETC patches which I have from previous tech schools, but I am coming TDY from an operational flying squadron...do I replace my MAJCOM patch and any others to conform (I have no issues with it, just wondered)

Is your next stop UPT? You've got to go through AETC to get your wings, might as well adopt the pain now