Guard RPA Pilot recruiting?

Hi, I have searched everywhere for the answer to my question and left many messages to recruiters to no avail, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Do Guard units hire RPA pilots from the outside or do they only pick from current flyers/trained RPA pilots? I'm specifically interested in the 163d Recon Wing if anyone happens to be with them.

And since we're on the topic of recruiting, is poor vision (-7.50, correctable to 20/20) waiverable for RPA pilots? I couldn't find the vision standards for FC II "U" online.

Thank you.

Ask these guys...

1065106458.png

Hi, I have searched everywhere for the answer to my question and left many messages to recruiters to no avail, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Do Guard units hire RPA pilots from the outside or do they only pick from current flyers/trained RPA pilots? I'm specifically interested in the 163d Recon Wing if anyone happens to be with them.

And since we're on the topic of recruiting, is poor vision (-7.50, correctable to 20/20) waiverable for RPA pilots? I couldn't find the vision standards for FC II "U" online.

Thank you.

• 8 months later...

So I recently got picked up by a predator unit to be commissioned and go through the Full UPT. That said, I was working as a F-16 avionics tech for a sister unit prior to that. There was a requirement that you had to be enlisted and in the ANG from the state my opportunity came from. Myself and another guy were the first from our unit to receive a deserving airman commissioning into a pilot spot. So there are opportunities out there but they are very competitive and I think for the most part you have to be in the guard already.

On a separate note at my flight physical I met a guy that went from student flight to F22 pilot candidate. Luck dude.