'Bama vs LSU, or LSU vs OSU?

Ravens52

As a Bama grad, I think they should be in the NC game. (no bias :thefinger: )

If Alabama beat LSU and their only loss was at the hands of a 6-6 Vanderbilt team, would they even be in the NC talk? No, so why should OK State when they lost to the Big 12 Vandy counterpart?

post-6963-0-03783800-1323059282_thumb.jp

Edited by thoma015

Because you don't judge a team by just their losses, that makes no sense. By that logic if Houston would have won then they should have been in the NC because they wouldn't have lost. The reason they wouldn't even be considered....they have no quality wins.

If you compare strength of schedule (OSU 10 Bama 38), wins vs. the top 25 (OSU 5 Bama 2), or even wins just against teams with WINNING RECORDS (OSU 7 Bama 3) the comparison is muuuuch different. You have to look at a teams ENTIRE body of work, not just who has the "better loss."

Because you don't judge a team by just their losses, that makes no sense. By that logic if Houston would have won then they should have been in the NC because they wouldn't have lost. The reason they wouldn't even be considered....they have no quality wins. If you compare strength of schedule (OSU 10 Bama 38), wins vs. the top 25 (OSU 5 Bama 2), or even wins just against teams with WINNING RECORDS (OSU 7 Bama 3) the comparison is muuuuch different. You have to look at a teams ENTIRE body of work, not just who has the "better loss."

When I look at OK States ENTIRE body of work I don’t see the same thing as you......

From the final rankings I see 4 wins over teams in the top 25 (Texas, K State, Baylor, and OK) vs. Alabama's 3 (Penn St, Arkansas, Auburn)

Then there are each team’s loss...Ok State vs. unranked 6-6 team and Bama's loss to #1 ranked team.

Let’s not forget that after Alabama lost (while only dropping to number 3) 4 other teams had to choke for Alabama to get back in.

I think the BCS sucks just as much as you do, but this time the cards were in our favor. It’s better to lose early in the season (and to the number 1 team) than late (to a 6-6 team).

...and yes I will be in Nola. :jd::drinking:

Roll Tide

edit to add link- good video on how the SEC tried to help out the Big 12, but they didn't want any help http://sportsillustr...ated/index.html

Edited by thoma015

So what happens if Alabama wins the rematch? Each team would have one win against the other. Who is the national champ then? Alabama because their win is the most recent? How fair is that?

And what happens to Alabama if LSU wins? Does Alabama stay at #2? They are "the second best team" after all...

OSU beat more nationally ranked teams, Bama only beat two...

Bama only beat 2 ranked teams? Fact check time:

Bama's schedule

OSU's schedule

Everyone and their brother was screaming that the National Championship had to be Ohio State vs Florida, because even though they were ranked 1 and 2 you couldnt have a replay between Ohio State and Michigan.

Funny how all the SEC fanboys change their tunes when its talk of their conference getting to hold both berths and not anybody else.

If memory serves me, that BSC championship game was between #1 and #2 - just like the rules say it will be. The big 10 didn't even play a conference championship game that year, so what the heck are we talking about here?

Being an Auburn grad, .... be a ligitimate national champ.

I can see the Auburn spelling coming out here. That checks.

definitely my favorite play from yesterday:

http://youtu.be/WDT9yFhhmYU

Wow - a 30 yard lucky pass into coverage was your favorite play? Time to watch more SEC football. Did you see any of Trent's "Heisman runs," or the Honeybadger at work, or anything like that?

In my opinion you are required to be a conference champion to be able to play for the national championship!

So your opinion says that two different teams should play versus what the BSC rules say? Makes perfect sense.

I would agree with you if you said something like "perhaps there should be a rule that states you must be your conference champion to play in the big game." The current rules don't require you to be a conference champion to play in the BCS title game, hence the reason why #1 is playing #2, again, just like they have since the inception of the BCS (see above).

So what happens if Alabama wins the rematch? Each team would have one win against the other. Who is the national champ then? Alabama because their win is the most recent? How fair is that?

And what happens to Alabama if LSU wins? Does Alabama stay at #2? They are "the second best team" after all...

So what happens if a team wins the BCS Championship game????? I will have to check the rule book on that (after I recheck the conference champion requirement rule that doesn't exist), but I will bet a weeks salary that the winner of the BCS Championship game will be the BCS champion. I could be wrong, though. Fair or not.

In all seriousness, though, I hear that if Bama does win, there might be cries for another "split championship" with the AP title going to LSU. That's possible, but the BCS was supposed to have eliminated that confusion and controversy. I think if Bama wins, controversy will reign because each team will have only 1-loss to each other, but the BCS national champion will obviously not be in dispute - the winner will raise the crystal football.

Edited by JS
  • Upvote 1

I would agree with you if you said something like "perhaps there should be a rule that states you must be your conference champion to play in the big game." The current rules don't require you to be a conference champion to play in the BCS title game, hence the reason why #1 is playing #2, again, just like they have since the inception of the BCS (see above).

I think having the conference champs duke it out would be a great idea. Here's a crude version of what I'd like to see.

gallery_7349_61_35502.jpg

Edited by HU&W

I have a huge problem with any model that bases a playoff on conference champions. So of the 11 teams that play in the postseason that's actually worth something, you only have 1 from each conference? Including about 3 conferences that suck hard core all the time and another 3-4 that suck sometimes? I don't think so. Also per your graph the Big 10 has to play to get into the 2nd round (and play in the Armed Forces bowl at that) but the dying Big 12 gets essentially a bye into the Rose Bowl? WTF?

Per the model above, the SEC and PAC-12 would only send one team a piece? Sorry Alabama and Stanford, you're SOL. Those are the #2 and #4 teams in the country, but you'd rather see the sun belt conference champion play in a playoff? Insanity.

If we're gonna blow up the system, let's blow it up for good. Have 4 major conferences that everyone's a part of, those 4 conference champions get automatic bids to the playoff and the next best 4 teams teams are selected at large and boom, 8 team playoff for all the marbles. No more independents, no more little conferences with maybe 1 good team that beats up on all the rest to go "undefeated" while the big boys slug it out every week, no more people saying the system is against them. Just win and you'll be in.

That system gives you potential Cinderella stories al la college hoops like if a Houston or a TCU or a Boise State from years past that could actually win it all if they keep their streaks alive, but you also would have potentially 3-4 SEC teams if the SEC really is dominant that year (i.e. LSU, Alabama, Arkansas [all in the same division even!] this year for instance); same goes for any other conference that happens to excel in a particular year.

Anyways, yea, let's do that. Never gonna happen because of the money and institutional momentum but one can dream.

Bama's schedule

OSU's schedule

If memory serves me, that BSC championship game was between #1 and #2 - just like the rules say it will be. The big 10 didn't even play a conference championship game that year, so what the heck are we talking about here?

Urban Meyer was actively campaigning for his team to leapfrog Michigan. And remember until last year the Big 10 didnt have two divisions so there was no championship game. When Michigan stopped their season Florida still had the SEC championship to play while ranked #4 and USC was ranked #2 (and lost to UCLA). The final BCS poll passed Florida over Michigan to take the No. 2 spot while Michigan remained unchanged at No. 3, with .0101 points separating the two teams. This small difference was a result of the human polls (the Coaches Poll and Harris Interactive Poll) ranking Florida above Michigan while the computer polls had the two teams tied for second.

That pretty much set a precedent that if you lost your division championship you should be locked out of the National Championship. But the two teams going on to lose shows any team can lose on any game day, and Oklahoma State has far more cause for playing in the National Championship than Alabama, but there is too much blind SEC love a la "We are the greatest at football ever" (so long as you ignore Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi state, Ol'Miss, and Tennessee) that the people this contest was rigged for will just stand by and forget how much they were bitching and how hard they would have bitched had it gone to Michigan instead of Florida in 2006.

Alabama lost theirs, but is jumping over Oklahoma State because it sells advertisement time on TV, not because their is anything else built into this system to make it "fair" or well balanced to deliver a true contest and separate wheat from chaff.

Edited by Lawman

An 8 team playoff would allow all competitive teams to decide it on the field, and I can't see how that isn't a money maker - look at how much the networks make in March. Millions of people who know fuck-all about college hoops get in on brackets and get excited when Colgate beats Wichita State. No one gives a shit about the current bowl system before Jan 1st. Know who is playing in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl? That's right: 8-4 Florida International vs. 6-6 Marshall. Someone explain to me how that's a money maker but a playoff isn't.

Give the Top 4 Conference’s automatic bids, but make those AQs dependant on conference performance (so a 7-4 UConn doesn't get in to a BCS game like last year). Give the other 4 according to the final BCS. This year your 8 playoff teams would be:

AQs from the 4 best conferences (in my opinion):

LSU

Okla St

Oregon

Wisconsin

4 Wild cards:

Stanford

Bama

Bosie St

Arkansas

If you think the ACC is better than the Big-12 then Clemson would be in and Arkansas would loose the wild card to Oklahoma St. The only 1 loss team not in the picture this year would be Houston, who in my opinion doesn't deserve to be. In years past this would have given Boise St & TCU shots at the title that so many think they deserved. It also would have given the undefeated 2004 Auburn Tigers the title they were denied.

I think if you go back every year since 1998 and looked at a suystem like this, no one is loosinga legitimate shot at winning it off, and no one is VOTING on the best team.

And if the NCAA insists, we can still watch 8-4 Rutgers play 6-6 Iowa play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

An 8 team playoff would allow all competitive teams to decide it on the field, and I can't see how that isn't a money maker - look at how much the networks make in March. Millions of people who know ######-all about college hoops get in on brackets and get excited when Colgate beats Wichita State. No one gives a shit about the current bowl system before Jan 1st. Know who is playing in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl? That's right: 8-4 Florida International vs. 6-6 Marshall. Someone explain to me how that's a money maker but a playoff isn't.

Give the Top 4 Conference’s automatic bids, but make those AQs dependant on conference performance (so a 7-4 UConn doesn't get in to a BCS game like last year). Give the other 4 according to the final BCS. This year your 8 playoff teams would be:

AQs from the 4 best conferences (in my opinion):

LSU

Okla St

Oregon

Wisconsin

4 Wild cards:

Stanford

Bama

Bosie St

Arkansas

If you think the ACC is better than the Big-12 then Clemson would be in and Arkansas would loose the wild card to Oklahoma St. The only 1 loss team not in the picture this year would be Houston, who in my opinion doesn't deserve to be. In years past this would have given Boise St & TCU shots at the title that so many think they deserved. It also would have given the undefeated 2004 Auburn Tigers the title they were denied.

I think if you go back every year since 1998 and looked at a suystem like this, no one is loosinga legitimate shot at winning it off, and no one is VOTING on the best team.

And if the NCAA insists, we can still watch 8-4 Rutgers play 6-6 Iowa State play in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl.

6-6 Iowa State - get it right!

Bama's schedule

OSU's schedule

Fat Chicks, sorry about that, was throwing too many back with chuckswartz, I was even at a few of those games to boot brother...

It really IMHO comes down to players. I'd say bama in a landslide talent wise and their defense is so damn suffocating its sick! Due to their Overall talent (minus special teams) and single loss to LSU in OT they make a better bid to be #2.

So let's just implement a damn playoff system to stop the madness. I think we can all agree on that.

• 2 months later...