'Bama vs LSU, or LSU vs OSU?

Ravens52

This year, I think it is fair to say that the two best teams in college football are LSU and Bama. When they met earlier, it was a close game, and would turn out differently if they met again.

Having two SEC teams go to the championship sounds kind of strange, but the BCS Champ game is for the two best teams in college football. It is wrong to exclude one team because of their conference. That's some weird affirmative action shit.

Let them have it.

• Upvote 1

OSU Lost to a 6 and 6 Citadel type program (OK not that bad).... However it was after a tragedy took place within the school... Bama lost at home, however they took it into overtime and pretty much lost the game themselves via special teams. OSU beat more nationally ranked teams, Bama only beat two... It looks like this is a toss up, but I would have to agree its Bama over OSU.

Both LSU and Alabama feature defenses with NFL caliber players at every position. Defenses win championships! The purpose of the BCS was to objectively find the two best teams at the end of the season and match them up in a game designated as the national championship game. The two best teams left other than LSU are Bama and OSU. If it comes down to a team that has lost a game, who had the worse loss, Bama or OSU? OSU in a landslide... Iowa State, really....

Having two SEC teams go to the championship sounds kind of strange, but the BCS Champ game is for the two best teams in college football. It is wrong to exclude one team because of their conference. That's some weird affirmative action shit.

Let them have it.

Everyone and their brother was screaming that the National Championship had to be Ohio State vs Florida, because even though they were ranked 1 and 2 you couldnt have a replay between Ohio State and Michigan.

Funny how all the SEC fanboys change their tunes when its talk of their conference getting to hold both berths and not anybody else.

Everyone and their brother was screaming that the National Championship had to be Ohio State vs Florida, because even though they were ranked 1 and 2 you couldnt have a replay between Ohio State and Michigan.

Funny how all the SEC fanboys change their tunes when its talk of their conference getting to hold both berths and not anybody else.

...and Michigan lost to USC in the Rose Bowl and Ohio State lost to Florida...

• Upvote 1

This year, I think it is fair to say that the two best teams in college football are LSU and Bama. When they met earlier, it was a close game, and could turn out differently if they met again.

Fixed that for ya!

Agreed, and look at the past BCS championship games that were the SEC against some other conference (Big 10, Big 12, Pac Ten). Who won? In the past five years it has always been the SEC.

Let them have it.

Agreed. 'Bama is #2, and the 9-6 loss in overtime a month ago while boring was a tight game. They deserve a second chance, and hopefully this time it will be a lot more exciting but either way, it sill would be the correct match-up!

Cheers! M2

Being an Auburn grad, I'm an SEC homer, but I think a team has to be their conference champ to be a ligitimate national champ. How many times have the Yankees and Red Sox been considered the two best teams in baseball? They don't get to play each other in the World Series. I'd like to see LSU vs. OK State and Bama vs. Oregon or Boise State. I think both would win, thus confirming the dominance of the SEC in football. If it is LSU vs. Bama, it will be the 1st time an SEC team will have lost in the BCS championship game. Regards, RF.

Edited by Red Fox

Guest Hueypilot812

I'm NOT a Bama fan (not an LSU fan either)...but considering it all, I think it's fair that Bama is a solid #2 and deserves a chance at the #1 spot. OSU is a solid team but definitely #3...

I'm NOT a Bama fan (not an LSU fan either)...but considering it all, I think it's fair that Bama is a solid #2 and deserves a chance at the #1 spot. OSU is a solid team but definitely #3...

Agreed...I'm inundated with SEC bullsh*t down here but not gonna lie, the SEC has the best group of teams right now (and most years), and if the top two in the country come from the SEC so be it. Bama's loss is much better than OSUs, that should be the end of it.

I was personally rooting for Georgia, OU, etc. so there's be as much parity as possible and maybe, just maybe, the BCS would demolish itself. One can hope...

Edited by nsplayr

So instead of the top two teams in the nation playing for the championship, the #3 team should vault over the #2 simply because the latter is in the same conference as #1? Sorry, that makes no sense. If anything, 'Bama's record against tougher teams gives the Tide the nod for a second chance.

If OK State were undefeated than it would be a different discussion, but the lost to a much weaker team than 'Bama; and 'Bama's game loss against #1 LSU was a close game.

Seriously, OSU lost to team that has only won half of its games and only a third of its conference games? Sorry, there's no second chance nor is there any argument that OSU.

I know it's fun to rip on the SEC, but the facts are clear; it is the toughest conference in the nation and since it has produced the top two teams, both should have a right to play for the championship. OSU lost their opportunity when they fell against Iowa State, especially since the latter overcame a 17-point deficit to beat the Cowboys! Quit making excuses for them...

I agree...

LSU vs OSU

Bama vs. Oregon

Stanford vs. Wisconson

No Big East team should be in the BCS.

Playoffs, Playoffs! I think that debate is final after this years CFB debacle...

Seriously, OSU lost to team that has only won half of its games and only a third of its conference games? Sorry, there's no second chance nor is there any argument that OSU.

Exactly... and thats why there will be Bama LSU II

If anything, 'Bama's record against tougher teams gives the Tide the nod for a second chance.

M2...I know you're a SEC/Gator lover, but you gotta back this up. This is NOT what happened, and people that vote for 'Bama are only looking at the 1 loss (like K-State Poke brought up).

Regardless of what the BCS decides tonight....screw the BCS.

Easy way to solve this: Stanford vs LSU in the Sugar Bowl, OSU vs 'Bama in the Fiesta Bowl, and the winners play in the title game a week later. Done. Screw you, BCS.

In my opinion you are required to be a conference champion to be able to play for the national championship! OSU lost to a bowl eligible team in 2OT in a location that is very hard to play (ISU and Ames, IA), OSU has played and beat more Top 25 teams than Bama and OSU has a better strengh of schedule compared to Bama.

So, it should be LSU v OSU - enough said!

Flare (et al), it's self-explanatory...it's the SEC! At one point this season, that conference had half of the top ten teams. It's also 7-0 when it comes to BCS championships, and won the last five in a row. Seeing a pattern here?

Plus, where in the rule books does it say that the top two teams have to be from different conferences?

C'mon, are people really comparing an OT loss to a team that only won half its games this season to an OT loss to the number one ranked team in the nation? They don't come close.

'Bama (and lets get this straight, I'm not a Tide fan!) won all of its games by at least 16 points this season with the one exception being LSU; and even that loss was a close (albeit a dull defensive) battle.

While OK State's loss was also close (double overtime), the mere fact that they did so at the hands of Iowa State should be a good enough reason for them not going to New Orleans. The Cyclones are 3-6 in their conference, and 6-6 overall; and overcame a 17-point deficit to beat the Cowboys. Championships are not won by losing games like that!

The system is supposed to match the best two teams, regardless of conference; and the Tide have been one of the two most dominant teams in the country. End of debate.

Cheers! M2

BLUF - Subjectivity among voters will determine the BCS title game - OBJECTIVITY CANNOT happen with the current system.

LSU - AL: Arguably the two best teams, hence the conundrum...

LSU - OSU: Both won their divisions - valid point

Stanford: Lost to a good same-conference team, bumping them out of the PAC championship

Oregon: 2 losses - thanks for playing

"Earned the right" doesn't even belong in this conversation as the system isn't built that way. If it were so, the only way some teams could "earn the right" (aka Houston or BSU) is to move to a better conference and play better teams.

Until we get a playoff there will always be chaos. The big schools won't play the "little" schools with good programs for fear of messing up a good season right out of the gate. Face it, a team like LSU stands to gain nothing from beating Houston in September, but Houston stands to make great gains the other way around.

Solution - 6 x 16 team conferences (96 teams, public math...) The WAC, SB, MW, ConfUSA and MA conferences have no business playing in a playoff in their current state. The handful of good teams in those conferences and all the independents should make a choice - join a real conference and play with a solid chance every year, or join the FCS and duke it out there. 120-96=24 teams, good luck in the FCS - thanks for giving it your all.

6 x 16 team conferences with ALL conference champions and 2 wildcard teams (don't really care how they are chosen) should play an elite 8 style playoff with 2 games before Christmas and the final 2 games after. Disclaimer - yes, I know that won't happen because "its all about the money" but if that is true, then the whole thing is moot. This format would initially benefit the weaker big conferences, but eventually, conference moves would even out the playing field, and the best 2 non-champions would still have an opportunity to make a "statement."

Let the winners win it on the field like real champions, not contenders chosen by a computer with human influence and human voters who "decide" the fate of the bowls. Without a playoff system (basketball), Gonzaga, UNLV, Providence, et al, would have never been heard of by the majority of NCAA fans.

Final tally...

LSU-AL, if for no other reason than the pure chaos it throws into the mix. Here's hoping for a playoff.

Edited by Carpetbagger
  • Upvote 2

Flare (et al), it's self-explanatory...it's the SEC West! ....

Cheers! M2

FIFY, the SEC East was back in the pack with the rest of the league. LSU and Bama both throttled Arkansas, the only other competitor in their division. Bama and LSU are both playing above the entire NCAA, so let's watch them play it out again to prove who is the best.