Master's Degree while still in training?

Guest one

I know that many people feel that it is unwise to start a Master's program while in training but if it is possible I would like to try. After getting settled in Pensacola I would really like to at least take a class or two online. I would appreciate anyone's input on this, negative or positive.

I just want an honest idea on how much time you spent actively training per week to include voluntary and non-voluntary study time. My view is that if while at training you were able to spend 8 hours a week playing video games or going to the bar, I shouldn't have a problem finishing an easy online course.

I went to tech school in Pensacola and my Squadron would not let me take any online courses while I was there because of how "demanding" the training was (I am enlisted). It was so demanding that the average person at my squadron was able to play video games in the day room for three hours a day. I am sure that CSO training will be more demanding than my tech school but if training only takes up 55 hours per week, I think I can manage to squeeze in a class or two.

Any thoughts?

Edited by one

Its not that you won't have the time, its just that if you spend all your time studying (either for CSO stuff or your masters) you will go schizo. You need the mindless COD time or the time going to the bar with the guys and just letting off steam and talking smack. There is plenty of time to get the masters, focus on training now.

I know that many people feel that it is unwise to start a Master's program while in training but if it is possible I would like to try. After getting settled in Pensacola I would really like to at least take a class or two online. I would appreciate anyone's input on this, negative or positive.

I just want an honest idea on how much time you spent actively training per week to include voluntary and non-voluntary study time. My view is that if while at training you were able to spend 8 hours a week playing video games or going to the bar, I shouldn't have a problem finishing an easy online course.

I went to tech school in Pensacola and my Squadron would not let me take any online courses while I was there because of how "demanding" the training was (I am enlisted). It was so demanding that the average person at my squadron was able to play video games in the day room for three hours a day. I am sure that CSO training will be more demanding than my tech school but if training only takes up 55 hours per week, I think I can manage to squeeze in a class or two.

Any thoughts?

Why? There is no reason to start a Masters while in UFT. Any time you take away from studying CSO stuff and keeping yourself sane, will hurt your grades in both academics and flights that will ultimately decide where you go after you get your wings.

I just don't see a reason to do it then. You will have literally years to get it done after you are winged. I see a great deal of cost, with no benefit.

Why? There is no reason to start a Masters while in UFT. Any time you take away from studying CSO stuff and keeping yourself sane, will hurt your grades in both academics and flights that will ultimately decide where you go after you get your wings.

I just don't see a reason to do it then. You will have literally years to get it done after you are winged. I see a great deal of cost, with no benefit.

x2

Do you have an estimate on how much time you spent per week in class? Was it around 50 hours per week? How much time do you think you spent studying?

I would never want to do anything that could jeopardize my training or assignment, I just want to make sure I utilize my time wisely. I am really disappointed I do not already have my master's degree finished. I would love to get it done so I could just focus on my career as soon as I get to my first squadron.

Do you have an estimate on how much time you spent per week in class? Was it around 50 hours per week? How much time do you think you spent studying?

I would never want to do anything that could jeopardize my training or assignment, I just want to make sure I utilize my time wisely. I am really disappointed I do not already have my master's degree finished. I would love to get it done so I could just focus on my career as soon as I get to my first squadron.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that you're not going to get approval for TA during UCT. Some weeks might be easier than others, but there will be days you get pushed out the door to avoid breaking crew rest at the 12 hr mark so you're looking at a 15-18hr day easy. You have one chance to make it through UFT - why make it more difficult than it already is and increase your chances of washing out?

Edited by Odium

I wasn't planning on using TA because of the cost of the school I am going to. If there are very many 18 hour days I definitely won't try to take classes.

I think it is funny that the Air Force is so serious about Airman in training not being able to take online classes. They banned me from taking college courses while at tech school but we had so much time just sitting around bullshitting. I personally do not look at college as a burden and depending on the class, I actually enjoy doing online classes. If the training will require some 18 hour days I am not going to chance it. I am glad I asked though.

If I had to guess, 90% of training in the Air Force requires 7 hour days with weekends off. Keep in mind, I have the perspective of an enlisted member and things maybe completely different on the officer's side of the house. I just know that if I would have been able to take classes during tech school, I would already be at CSO training (assuming I got accepted to OTS last year).

Edited by one

I think it is funny that the Air Force is so serious about Airman in training not being able to take online classes. They banned me from taking college courses while at tech school but we had so much time just sitting around bullshitting.

Don't plan on CSO training being anything like tech school.

12 hour days on formal release was the norm for us during much of primary phase (then add +3 for studying/food/PT/whatever). Advanced phase ranged from 4-6 hours of academics to (on occasion) another 10 hours on top of that studying per day (the kind that couldn't be done at home)

Any thoughts?

Things have changed a lot from my days at P'Cola but on during our Air Force inprocessing they told us specifically that we were not allowed to persue any outside education.There is no reason, to either...unless the pipeline is accelarated I think you will be surprised at how much time between UFT and initial check out in your MWS you will have. Work on your Masters then.

Guest cody6766

During the primary phase a normal day was 10-14 hours. There were several days, at the beginning of the instrument flights for example, where I spent an 'official' 12hrs at the hangar and then another 5 or more at home prepping for a flight. It got easier at the end, but I still had 10-12hr days. My class got the pleasure of flying 3 or 4 weekends in a row too.

The advanced phase was extremely variable. Academic periods usually cost us 8'ish hour days, but the sim days were an easy 12, and often more. This is the time where you get into the stuff you can't take home, so you HAVE to be there in a book. During the T1 phase I was there from 0445 until usually 1800. Most of the time there weren't any lunch breaks involved.

Can you find time to work on a masters? Sure.The hours are there. The last thing you'll want to do is more academic work while you're there though. Your brain gets enough of a work out. You have to learn a new system, new skills and build a certain level of proficiency almost every month or 2 during the advanced phase. You get a pretty good brain ######ing at work and want to spend your time un######ing it at home. Take the time to go to the bar, play video games or screw off. Go to the beach when you finish a flying phase and watch the T1s and T6s out flying when you have a down day...laugh at th poor bastards doing what you just busted your ass to finish. There will be days off, days that last 3 or 4 hours and plenty of 8hr days. Take FULL advantage of those as fun days if you're caught up, because the relaxation will be worth it. You can get your wings and credit for a masters, or get your wings and have as much fun in the process as possible. I did the latter and definitely recommend it.

This is advice coming from someone who has a track record of being a VERY apathetic student. I don't get stressed over a schedule and seem to study the bare minimum as I typically catch on quickly. There were days I invested more hours than many in my class, but if you weigh the total hours over the 11 mos, I'm sure I was at the bottom end of the time scale. I made my time investment count and then screwed off as much as my class standing could afford. I had a family to see and friends to blow off steam with. There were PLENTY of people that spent more time in the books and in the classroom than I did. If you're one of those that stress over tests or don't catch on in a hurry, easily add a couple hours to anything under 15hrs I listed.

Bottom line, don't do it.

This is advice coming from someone who has a track record of being a VERY apathetic student. I don't get stressed over a schedule and seem to study the bare minimum as I typically catch on quickly.

Yeah you bastard, I worked my ass off and you still got better grades than me.

This post brought to you by too many drinking games this evening :beer:

Any thoughts?

You do not want to come to IFS with a Master's on the mind. CSO washout rate is through the roof with the latest syllabus change to meet the requirements of our customer at Pensacola.

Your choice, start a process that is designed to place you under a controlled level of high stress while managing a Master's class, or free up your resources to apply your self to focus on your target. I'd recommend the latter.

IFS is not a given......as many find out.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

Smokey

I'm about halfway through UCT right now and I can't get behind anyone undertaking anything else academically while in training. During the primary phase, more than half of your days be 12 hours in length followed by 3-5 hours of study and preparation for the next day's flights. Advanced seems worse than that thus far since you begin in a simulator and the 12 hour crew rest doesn't apply. Personally, the advanced phase sims have given me a schedule of 0430-1800 and then more studying when you come home. There will be days in advanced where your only time not doing something training related will be the 4 hours of sleep you get at night and the 1 hour you spend at the gym so that you don't go insane.

You'll need some time on weekends to blow off steam and if you're married to remind your wife that you are still living in the same house.

I wouldn't recommend it for sure, buddy. But whatever you decide, good luck.

If I was a CSO stud in your class, and we were competing against each other for the one job we both wanted, I'd be ecstatic that you were trying to knock out your masters in training.

But that would just make me graduating number one in my class hurt more...

No, I am not going to try to take any classes.

It is not like I was planning on taking any tough classes or anything, but if the hours are as long as everyone is saying, there is very little benefit in the risk. I will just relax and spend as much time with my family that I can. You never really know what training is going to be like until you are there. I have heard the course was time consuming from a few people but it is hard to really understand how accurate their opinion is without being in training yourself. I think there is enough consensus for me to know it is not worth the risk.

I am sure everyone here has heard about how difficult someone's training was when you know their day probably consisted of 6 hours of actual work with an hour lunch and a break every hour. I am sure there is a personnel officer out there who thinks the 5 week basic personnel officer course was a hard course.

Thank you everyone for the input. I definitely won't go into training underestimating the course.

Edited by one

It was just a joke.

I just thought it would be funny someone would be happy knowing that one of their classmates was taking an online class that takes three hours a week because that might lead them to graduating above them. If the way you hope to graduate in the top of your class is by having a class full of people that are not very good students, I think this is the worst type of attitude you can have. I thought he was joking too, just to make a point that I shouldn't take any classes. Which by the way, I have said that I am not going to do and thanked everyone for their input.

I hope my whole class does very well and I do well in the class regardless of what any other student does.

Edited by one

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah you bastard, I worked my ass off and you still got better grades than me.

This post brought to you by too many drinking games this evening :beer:

That's okay, I did better than he did......you know I love you cody :beer:

The masters thing...don't go for it. Even if you find that you have no problems with the course, the days can be long and are usually not consistent. Family time is where it's at. Also, xbox. Either way, you're going to be spinning up almost immediately after training (depending on which plane you drop) and are going to REALLY have no time, what with preparing to go to war and all. You'll find a lot of time here and there that (so far anyway) I seemed to have lost since leaving Pensacola. Spend this year with your family and enjoy the beaches and nice weather. Seymour is cold as shiat right now and I'm totally jealous.

Guest cody6766
That's okay, I did better than he did......you know I love you cody

haha, these are facts and I'm 110% okay with it. Sometimes you just have to sit back and realize that the effort required to compete for minutia really isn't worth it, especially when the jet I wanted would have still landed in my lap if I was last...assuming people weren't holding their cards tight. Maybe my efforts will help out if I ever want to leave Tinker and go kill people on something that deals out some hate. Gotta love being home though.

Cody... Don't know you, but I'm someone who "left Tinker to go kill people and deal out hate." Your instincts are right on. Even if you stay in that jet for your entire career (or until DRAGON), no reason at all to not strive to be the best (as long you're not an ass about it, or a Blue Falcon). In fact, when I was there some of the pilots and all of the ABMs would assume you were a mouth breather by virtue of being a nav until you proved otherwise. Good luck, eye of the tiger, etc., etc.