Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

I have no problem with the U.S. taking in 10,000 Syrian refugees but there's a catch. They must all be single, breeding age females, 18 to 30 years old, no FGM modifications, and if their hot then they move to the front of the line.
Note; This would probably piss off the Muslim world because they would consider it discriminatory since the Islamic Standard for breeding age females is 8 to "unknown for upper age limit".

The vetting process would look something like this; Here's a few approved "Syria-Sly" hot refugees.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/18/13-syrian-refugees-wed-take-immediately-photos/

Edited by waveshaper
  • Upvote 1

Turks down Russian SU-24? Video shows the pilots ejected.

Excerpts; Turkish fighter jets shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday after repeated warnings over air space violations, but Moscow said it could prove the jet had not left Syrian air space.

Russia's defense ministry said one of its Su-24 fighter jets had been downed in Syria and that, according to preliminary information, the pilots were able to eject. It said the aircraft had been over Syria for the duration of its flight.

One of the pilots was in the hands of Turkmen forces in Syria who were looking for the other one, broadcaster CNN Turk reported, citing local sources. Russian military helicopters were also searching for the pilots.

The Turks posted the route of flight, via radar, of the flight path and where the Mig violated their airspace. They also warned them 10 times in five minutes.

Oh well.

That begs to question...are the Russians:
A) Incompetent at navigation

B) Knowingly violating a sovereign boarder

C) Profit?

Just when I thought another layer of stupidity couldn't possibly be added to this CF, then I'm "once again" slapped back to reality.

One of many "Escalation" possibilities; I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian's "TRY" to down some Turkish aircraft when they enter Syrian airspace.

Also looks like they got a helo with a TOW (or the like) missile at or around the impact site.  

??

"Also........They got a helo"??

That statement makes it sound like you're saying the guy in the blue jeans setting up the missile and the Air Force of the sovereign nation of Turkey are one and the same.

??

"Also........They got a helo"??

That statement makes it sound like you're saying the guy in the blue jeans setting up the missile and the Air Force of the sovereign nation of Turkey are one and the same.

That might be a more legitimate question than it seems. 

I don't disagree.  The Russians have chosen to attempt to prop up the existing Syrian government by bombing the rebel Syrian forces (the guy in the jeans, by my guess).  That choice also probably means Russia is a de facto supporter of ISIS.  By doing that, they've put themselves at odds with the rebels for certain, as well as the rest of NATO and the civilized world battling ISIS.

While this situation may fall under the "enemy of my enemy, etc, etc." umbrella, to imply that the Syrian rebels attacking at target of opportunity from the forces that have been bombing them is somehow a coordinated effort with NATO, et al is a pretty big stretch in my opinion.

That begs to question...are the Russians:A) Incompetent at navigation

B) Knowingly violating a sovereign boarder

C) Profit?

That little "tit" of Turkish territory sticking down into Syria that they violated is barely 3 NM across at it's widest point.  Do you really think it would be that difficult to accidentally fly over such a small piece of territory, especially if you're busy with other mission related duties?

• Upvote 1

That little "tit" of Turkish territory sticking down into Syria that they violated is barely 3 NM across at it's widest point.  Do you really think it would be that difficult to accidentally fly over such a small piece of territory, especially if you're busy with other mission related duties?

No, but a similar offense would sure as hell get you kicked out of Afghanistan in 2012.

• Upvote 2

While I agree arguing that NATO is supporting the deliberate targeting of Russian forces is a stretch, I don't think it's out of line to speculate on just how much support some of these groups are receiving from the Turks. Turkey has not been happy about Russian air strikes on these Turkmen rebels. Perhaps they were just waiting for any incursion, no matter how slight, as an excuse to provide some counter air for these folks. The guy in the jeans launching the TOW may not have been a Turkish citizen, but I'd be willing to bet he enjoys some semblance of support from Ankara. As has been mentioned already, this situation is beyond a clusterfuck. 

Turkey had repeatedly talked to Russia about their bombing of that area.  The Russians are bombing the Turkey (and rest of the West) supported FSA.  Reference my post a month ago about Russia being more concerned with keeping Assad in power than defeating ISIS.

Two things surprise me about this.  The first is that the ISIS claimed bombing of the Russian airliner didn't significantly alter Putin's objectives in Syria.  The second is that the Turks had the balls to stand up to Russia bombing the Turkman groups in Syria.  At least someone is doing it.  A little sad and unexpected that the Western initiative in Syria is now being led by Turkey.

Perhaps they were just waiting for any incursion, no matter how slight...

Does nobody remember that this is not the first incident?  I haven't seen any media outlet include it in their coverage.  There was an incursion back in October that was 'pushed' back by F-16s on the Turkish side.  They could have downed the Russian aircraft then, but did not.

Instead they took the passive approach and Erdogan released a statement which made clear that they would not hesitate to defend their borders in the future.  Russia apologized and said it wouldn't happen again.  Now it has, and Turkey responded exactly as they said they would.  Not much to complain about from the Russians, regardless of whether it complicates things.

Additionally, when you're a country which has made a routine out of military aircraft flights near foreign airspace for the sole sake of seeing how much provocation you can get away with, you lose the benefit of the doubt when one of your aircraft accidentally strays over an international border.

• Upvote 1

No arguments from me. If, in fact, Turkish airspace was violated (as all credible accounts indicate), then they were well within their rights to take action. What isn't up for debate is that the incident has the potential to severely complicate an already muddled situation. What's the proper stance for the U.S. and NATO here? Who knows. My guess is the current admin will be somewhat less than decisive and we'll become further entwined in this shit show with no foreseeable end game.