Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

Don't know if this is a continuation of the Libya doctrine and should therefore be posted there but here goes (if it needs to be moved, a little help mods?):

So this

http://dailycaller.c...tensions-flare/

The USS George H.W. Bush, the Navy’s newest aircraft carrier, has reportedly parked off the Syrian coast. The move comes as the U.S. embassy in Damascus urged Americans to “immediately” leave the country.

“The U.S. embassy continues to urge U.S. citizens in Syria to depart immediately while commercial transportation is available,” began a statement released Wednesday on the embassy website.

Some Arab publications have reported this week that a no-fly zone will soon be put in place over Syria — similar to the one implemented over Libya last spring. And while such reports in the Arab press are often met with skepticism by western observers, the financial news service ZeroHedge flagged down a report from the respected private intelligence company Stratfor stating that CVN 77, better known as the George H.W. Bush, had left the strategically vital Straits of Hormuz for the Syrian coast.

combined with this

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/11/23/un-and-turkey-increase-pressure-on-syrias-assad/

Syria's violent repression of political dissent was blasted by the United Nations General Assembly in a resolution condemning "continued grave and systematic human rights violations by the Syrian authorities."

Russia and China earlier this year used vetoes to block a similar condemnation of Syria by the Security Council. This time, they both abstained, in a sign they might be hardening their stances toward Damascus.

makes me think this doctrine is taking over.

Edited by brickhistory

Unlike Libya, if the U.S. or a consortium wants to impose a no-fly zone in Syria, and the Assad regime decides to resist it, we'd have to be willing to accept (and expect) casualties. I don't think the American public is willing to do so at the moment and as a result I can't see political support for it. It's a VERY different battlefield from Libya, and probably the only reason we're not already overtly involved.

I'm not sure how much a no fly zone would help the immediate situation. Seems the regime is mostly using tanks and troops with limited air assets to kill the civilians.

Romney said this specifically during the GOP National Security Debate...I believe he said there should be a "no-drive zone" or something along those lines.

http://news.yahoo.co...-025305275.html

CAIRO/PARIS (Reuters) - France will seek Arab support on Thursday for a humanitarian corridor in Syria, the first time a major power has swung behind international intervention in the eight-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.

Juppe said international monitors should be sent to protect civilians, with or without Assad's permission. He insisted the proposal fell short of a military intervention, but acknowledged that humanitarian convoys would need armed protection.

"There are two possible ways: That the international community, Arab League and the United Nations can get the regime to allow these humanitarian corridors," he told French radio on Thursday. "But if that isn't the case we'd have to look at other solutions ... with international observers,"

Asked if humanitarian convoys would need military protection, he said: "Of course... by international observers, but there is no question of military intervention in Syria."

He added that he had spoken to partners at the United Nations and U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, and would speak later on Thursday to the Arab League. On Wednesday Juppe also embraced the exiled opposition Syrian National Council as a legitimate group that France sought to work with.

No drive is big fun. I say go.

However, I hope the Syrians decide to fly some sorties and Eagle/Raptor guys at least get a chance to expend something...other than a couple flares during a flare check.

As long as they stay below 10k.

"And break a major rule of engagement? I heard The hard-deck for those hops will be 10,000 feet...there will be no engagements below that. The rules of engagement are there for your safety and the safety of your team. They are not flexible and neither is the CFACC...obey them or you are history" (Especially in tis time of the RIF). My buddy Commander Mike Metcafl from the CAOC told me this.....

• Upvote 1

With a OBOGS-related ceiling and a Top Gun-related hard-deck of 10K, I guess the Raptors will be flying, fighting, and winning at exactly 10,000'...

They can fight flat. No problem.

So when we find the Iraqi WMDs in Syria, will that finally put the "No WMDs" issue to bed?

I like it. That's reason enough to go. And the primary reason we won't.

Read Saddam's Secrets by Georges Sada. It's one of many public sources that say that the only pipe dream is that of the liberals to think that Saddam was an innocent victim.

Or, if you can get access, take a look at the multi-source tracks on Hwy 1 for the three nights before we crossed the berm.

Or, if you can get access, take a look at the multi-source tracks on Hwy 1 for the three nights before we crossed the berm.

Marcus Luttrell also mentions it in his Lone Survivor book. Your head has to be pretty far in the sand (or up your own ass) to think that Saddam was playing nicely and just disbanded everything (while still denying access to inspectors).

I don't follow what you mean, but I didn't pay any attention to Libya.

In Libya, the regime was using mostly tanks, artillery, and rockets with very limited air assets to attack the civilians. Then we made a no-fly zone in which NATO dropped 69,000 air-ground munitions and launched roughly 0 air-air weapons. That's how it's similar to what you stated.

In Libya, the regime was using mostly tanks, artillery, and rockets with very limited air assets to attack the civilians. Then we made a no-fly zone in which NATO dropped 69,000 air-ground munitions and launched roughly 0 air-air weapons. That's how it's similar to what you stated.

Copy bro, thanks. I had zero SA on how anything went down in Libya. But my schedule now has me available for Syria!