Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

I think the point missed is that if people want to be fucked up, fine so long as you don't fuck with me and mine. Once that happens, kid gloves are off. If they back down after we give em a black eye, they can go back to their sheep fucking ways for all I care as long as they leave me the fuck alone. I'm sick of trying to help people when they don't seem to want the help, they need to want it or no amount of help will amount to anything. Yes, CT operations will require dudes on the ground but we don't need to get endlessly embroiled with local politics. Kill the assholes who need killing and move on.

Government rules with the consent of the governed, either explicit or tacit.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Syria would be beyond stupid to start a fight with Israel right now, they have enough problems.

And it would be interesting to see how Israel reacts to this. I am willing to bet they would prefer the current government then chance the "election" of an even more radical one toward their existence (IE: Egypt).

Syria would be beyond stupid to start a fight with Israel right now, they have enough problems.

And it would be interesting to see how Israel reacts to this. I am willing to bet they would prefer the current government then chance the "election" of an even more radical one toward their existence (IE: Egypt).

Or expand their borders a bit.

More shots fired from Israel today.

If cool-heads are leading both sides (within Syria), maybe. But I sense a lack of military discipline is on the horizon, if you are going down and all hope is lost who knows what a few errant shots could do for you.

You can only poke a cheetah so many times, regardless of how many times you say 'sorry'. Israel isn't stupid, but if you start causing serious damage the gloves might come off.

Syria tried that a few years ago. I don't think they've spun up enough in the past 30yrs to give it anther try.

Ah, but this is different. This is on the ground. Who knows, maybe the results will be different.

Yes that was sarcasm.

• 3 weeks later...

Better dust up on that MOPP 4 and NBC procedures:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gEvLHlO-YtaysJDlKAoQC-lkZXow?docId=CNG.c19a448143681e6e4aeace3a0218a1cb.141

Syria mixing chemicals for sarin gas: US official

(AFP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — Syria has begun mixing chemicals that can be used to make deadly sarin gas, a US official told AFP Monday, amid fears that President Bashar al-Assad's forces could attack rebels with chemical weapons.

"We've picked up several indications which lead us to believe that they're combining chemical precursors," the official said, on condition of anonymity, adding that the operation was apparently aimed at making sarin.

Earlier, CNN said that Washington believed that Assad's regime was considering the feasibility of putting sarin into artillery shells for use in a limited chemical strike against opposition soldiers, the report said.

US officials stressed to the news channel that they did not believe that Assad had made a final decision on mounting such a strike.

Sarin, used in two terror attacks in Japan in the 1990s, is a man-made nerve agent which can cause convulsions, respiratory failure and death.

The intelligence appeared to explain a series of fresh warnings issued by Washington that the use of chemical weapons by the Assad government would cross a "red line" and invite unspecified US action.

Something about this feels vaguely familiar....oh wait.

Guess with Afghanistan winding down we need something else to keep the wheels turning...

Been hearing this argument a lot lately. I can certainly understand why people are concerned, but I think there's a big difference between "we're pretty certain they have WMD and we think they're hiding them here" and "we think they have sarin/vx/etc, and we have credible intel that they are putting it on weapons delivery systems". I also like all of the folks who say "I just don't understand why we don't at LEAST establish a no fly zone". Victim of our own success I guess.

Been hearing this argument a lot lately. I can certainly understand why people are concerned, but I think there's a big difference between "we're pretty certain they have WMD and we think they're hiding them here" and "we think they have sarin/vx/etc, and we have credible intel that they are putting it on weapons delivery systems". I also like all of the folks who say "I just don't understand why we don't at LEAST establish a no fly zone". Victim of our own success I guess.

Yea, I'll agree with that, but nevertheless, I didn't see the intel in '03, and I haven't seen it today-except what they tell me on the interwebs. It was more of a stab at the propensity for 'modern' civilizations to cripple-and ultimately destroy-their economies through the uncontrolled debasement of a fiat currency in order to finance foreign conflicts, all in the name of state security. I'll stop there.

Yea, I'll agree with that, but nevertheless, I didn't see the intel in '03, and I haven't seen it today-except what they tell me on the interwebs. It was more of a stab at the propensity for 'modern' civilizations to cripple-and ultimately destroy-their economies through the uncontrolled debasement of a fiat currency in order to finance foreign conflicts, all in the name of state security. I'll stop there.

I think Eisenhower had that pretty much summed up half a century ago. If only we would listen to wisdom...and learn from history and our past mistakes. Instead, we're doomed to repeat them. Yep, looks and smells like WMD to me; here we go again.

• 2 weeks later...