Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

They did exactly what I expected they would...and I love CENTCOM's hard-hitting response!

Well that's strike 2 for this BS-ing Pentagon Spokesperson "Navy Capt. Jeff Davis". I trust Baghdad Bob more than this clown.

Strike 1; On 30 July this same Capt. Davis said the following about the original group of 54 US trained/equipped Syrian fighters sent into Syria. The info in his press release was later proven to be "Patently False". 
Excerpts from 30 July 15; I can tell you that the New Syrian Force personnel that are a part of our training program are all present and accounted for and none have been detained or captured,” said Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Defense Department spokesman.

Note; The denials from State and the Department of Defense were in sharp contrast to what The Washington Post, The New York Times, Reuters, BBC and The Associated Press were reporting at the time.

Strike 2; Earlier last week he said the following about the second group of US trained/equipped Syrian fighters sent into Syria. Once again, the info in his press release was proven to be "Patently False". 

Excerpt; Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, said it was "patently false" that there had been defections by the U.S. trained group to al-Nusra or that equipment had been handed over.

Edited by waveshaper

Half a million no end in sight - I'm sure once Russia - Iran and Asad gear up the flow will subside ... not

500,000 AND COUNTING

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/09/29/record-numbers-arrive-europe-sea/73017148/

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If their goal is to try driving the west to bankruptcy and chaos through the refugees generated by the Syrian unrest, they're exceeding expectations.

If their goal is to try driving the west to bankruptcy and chaos through the refugees generated by the Syrian unrest, they're exceeding expectations.

Yup

If not chaos / bankruptcy then one helluva problem(s) in our own countries

Long game strategy - encourage third world mass immigration to distract -deplete-divide your rivals

Not saying China has a perfect approach to the world but they do business they protect their interests and they don't try to save it - seems more feasible

If this was discussed elsewhere, I appologize, but just heard on FNC that Russia did some bombing in Seria, and told us to stay the fuck out of the way.  Thoughts?

Heard they gave a one hour heads up but that would not surprise me about GTFO message also being relayed

Raptor vs Su-30 not likely to meet

Don't worry Kerry told them that this is not a way for nations on the 21st century to behave - that'll fix it

LOL!  I feel better already.  I don't think this will escalate into a shooting match between us, BUT the potential for an incident exists now that we've got armed warplanes in the same piece of sky...

Edited by zrooster99
Grammar...

Don't worry Kerry told them that this is not a way for nations on the 21st century to behave - that'll fix it

that's a significant observation.  We think somehow our modern era has intellectually matured beyond mankinds gory history.  Not so, and our naïveté cannot be fixed unless first acknowledged.

• Upvote 1

that's a significant observation.  We think somehow our modern era has intellectually matured beyond mankinds gory history.  Not so, and our naïveté cannot be fixed unless first acknowledged.

Yup

I don't fault the President for wanting to disengage from the Middle Shithole but our dependence on the flow of oil to the global supply system doesn't allow that like it or not we or another global power will be the patron / guarantor of the various states as grouped by ethnicity or Islamic denomination - pick a side don't try to be friends with both sides because that's not possible and support as required to keep the crazies at bay when the oil runs out leave a note saying thanks for everything and GTFO

But on this immediate issue keep a distance from the Ruskies but do t back down if confronted - aid the Kurds and think out the container I know we don't have it in our military tradition but this conflict is perfect for an army like the FFL so either form an American version or encourage the French to use the Legion there with all the support we can give - secure the eastern half before Aaad gets it back then you have leverage if continue the f around and phone it in we'll have no say in the future there and that portends more trouble with Iran winning again by default

Yup

I don't fault the President for wanting to disengage from the Middle Shithole but our dependence on the flow of oil to the global supply system doesn't allow that like it or not we or another global power will be the patron / guarantor of the various states as grouped by ethnicity or Islamic denomination - pick a side don't try to be friends with both sides because that's not possible and support as required to keep the crazies at bay when the oil runs out leave a note saying thanks for everything and GTFO

Didn't we become the World's largest producer of oil last year? 

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/u-s-overtakes-saudi-arabia-russia-to-become-worlds-biggest-oil-producer-report

If Russia wants to deal with it, let them deal with it, we can handle over watch in Iraq and help the Kurds, at least we know they're cool.

Didn't we become the World's largest producer of oil last year? 

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/u-s-overtakes-saudi-arabia-russia-to-become-worlds-biggest-oil-producer-report

If Russia wants to deal with it, let them deal with it, we can handle over watch in Iraq and help the Kurds, at least we know they're cool.

For now but the Saudis don't like that so the tap is on to keep the price low - too low for US / Canadian - unconventional oil recovery sources (tar sands, shale, hyd. fracking) to be profitable, also it hurts their rivals the Iranians so a lot US production capacity is online for now but starting to be shuttered till oil is back in the 65 a barrel range, there is very little to no daylight between the demand and supply curves in the oil game, in the 70's with the first oil shock, the Arab boycott disrupted 3% of the supply at the time to the US but caused a quadrupling of the price in a matter of weeks, industrialized modern societies can't get enough of that delicious delicious oil crack...  

Foxtrot Alpha has a good article on Russian strategic aims in the ME with released footage of Russian airstrikes, bottom line, they want in to push us out or diminish our influence in the ME via a strategic foothold and influence in Syria with strong ties with Iran and Iraq.  Not acceptable as the Carter Doctrine sill should be applied here and Putin is anti-US so we have to react, like it or not, maneuver or be out maneuvered...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russia-begins-bombing-operations-in-syria-as-a-bigger-s-1733823079

Playing internet strategist the best move to counter Russia in Syria is actually in Ukraine, arm the shit out of the government there to quash the Russian fueled rebellion there, if you can't fight your enemy directly do it indirectly.  Distract his attention, focus and resources from the place you don't want him to be.  

Well, I learned something new "Today". Russia actually has a Grand Fleet in the landlocked Caspian Sea, equipped with cruise missiles, and this Caspian Sea flotilla can actually hit targets in Syria. Note; This info is just now being released  so I'm sure the details will change.

Excerpt (multiple sources) 7 Oct 15;
Four Russian Navy warships have fired a total of 26 missiles at the position of the terrorist group Islamic State in Syria. The missiles were fired from the Caspian Sea.
Four missile ships launched 26 cruise missiles at 11 targets.
The missiles flew some 1,500 km before reaching their targets. The attacks apparently required cooperation from Iran and Iraq, as the missiles had to travel through their airspace to reach Syria.

http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Transcripts/Transcript-View/Article/622168/remarks-by-secretary-carter-at-a-troop-event-at-naval-air-station-sigonella-ita

Q: [...] how are we going to expect the military presence to adapt to the increasing Russian presence in the eastern Mediterranean and Levant region? 

SEC. CARTER: [...] we're going to keep on doing what we're doing, unchanged.  Now, the Russians are blundering into a situation -- and I've made this point repeatedly -- that is going to backlash on them. [...] So it's not going to have the effect that you -- meanwhile, in our counter-ISIL campaign, we're just going to keep on keeping on.

All about the money........very little about Assad specifically....control Syria you wield a lot power over the world oil supply.......and global oil prices.....Putin knows what he has with our current administration and how far he can push.......in a year not so much....Afghanistan 1979 all over again. What's to stop them from pushing east and south once they own Syria 

Edited by fire4effect

All about the money........very little about Assad specifically....control Syria you wield a lot power over the world oil supply.......and global oil prices.....Putin knows what he has with our current administration and how far he can push.......in a year not so much....Afghanistan 1979 all over again

I definitely agree it's all about the money and power (the vast majority of politics is), but I disagree that anything with regards to this issue will change with the next administration.  The country is not the same as it was 15 years ago, much less what it was 35 years ago.  Also, the Middle East is losing its place when it comes to importance in the world...so not not only has our country changed, but the world, the world economy, etc has changed.