Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

Glad they got in the fight. USAF prediction:

-DFC's in lieu of air medals

-McKay Trophy frontrunner for penetrating highly contested ISIS airspace narrowly defeating AK-47 gunfire.

-Confirmed status as #1 A/G platform in aviation history finally displacing the B-1 of the coveted role.

-Added to the list of USAF CAS (defined as any A/G mission/recon) proven aircraft but outdated and in urgent need of replacement by the F-35.

Return to F/A-22 designation?

Excerpt from Business Week article:

"Be that as it may, the Obama administration notified the Syrian government that the strikes were coming on Monday, likely to reduce the risk of a U.S. fighter jet being shot down, and five Arab governments supported the offensive. There was reason to worry about risks from surface-to-air missiles, as the Air Force Times reported: “The Syrian defense system has been cast by Pentagon leadership as highly advanced, and was cited as a reason U.S. forces could not launch raids on the Assad regime in the early days of the Syrian civil war.” "

so thats how 21st century stealth works?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-09-23/f-22-raptor-makes-combat-debut-in-syria-in-strikes-on-islamic-state

so thats how 21st century stealth works?

Sure. It worked didn't it? Why waste all our fancy toys and expensive weapons when a simple phone call will do? NKE doesn't have to just be cyber guys and EA. I can't wait to incorporate this into my next CT SEAD ride.

"Alright fellas, today's scenario is that about 12 hours ago the US State Department called [country] and told them we're coming. They said they would leave their radars on for us to practice against but weren't going to shoot at us. They pinky promised. Sweet, well that's it. See you at step."

• Upvote 3

Sure. It worked didn't it? Why waste all our fancy toys and expensive weapons when a simple phone call will do? NKE doesn't have to just be cyber guys and EA. I can't wait to incorporate this into my next CT SEAD ride.

"Alright fellas, today's scenario is that about 12 hours ago the US State Department called [country] and told them we're coming. They said they would leave their radars on for us to practice against but weren't going to shoot at us. They pinky promised. Sweet, well that's it. See you at step."

cant tell how much in tongue in cheek and how much is wistful thinking

• Upvote 2

Was looking at some of the images of the Saudi component of the coalition strikes.

Noticed that the pilot of this F-15S (son of Crown Prince) hasn't bothered to do up the Koch shoulder straps - so, no parachute for him, then. It may be wonder whether these guys actully have any intention of ejecting if the shit hits the fan. Based on anecdotal evidence of previous fatal mishaps, I expect not...

85a38e80-7cf7-4be3-a728-dcc4b954bab9.jpg

And just to add, this photo was taken pre-strike - it's not of them coming back having unstrapped prior to popping the canopy.

Was looking at some of the images of the Saudi component of the coalition strikes.

Noticed that the pilot of this F-15S (son of Crown Prince) hasn't bothered to do up the Koch shoulder straps - so, no parachute for him, then. It may be wonder whether these guys actully have any intention of ejecting if the shit hits the fan. Based on anecdotal evidence of previous fatal mishaps, I expect not...

And just to add, this photo was taken pre-strike - it's not of them coming back having unstrapped prior to popping the canopy.

Well, in fairness, who knows what's going on in time in the instant the pic was taken. Pilot may have unstrapped and could be adjusting something. May be just about to snap in after doing so. Odd for sure, but who knows what weird explanation it could be. Could even be your explanation.

Saudi Pilot Arrested for Refusing to Bomb ISIS in Syria

According to social media activists, a Saudi Air Force officer has refused orders to carry out an airstrike on Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) positions in Syria. The Saudi officer, Captain Faisal Al-Ghamdi, is said to have refused to participate in the airstrikes due to his support of the terrorist group. The news has circulated amongst pro-ISIS pages and has been referenced by their ground activists in Saudi Arabia, adding to the already turbulent relations between the terrorist group and Wahhabi-led government.

Saudi officials have yet to comment on the validity of this story; however, a picture and the soldier’s identity has been released by pro-ISIS media sources. ISIS has a strong presence in Saudi Arabia – the country’s government has financially supported rebels in Syria and Iraq to overthrow their governments. Recently, Saudi Arabia agreed to participate in the Anti-ISIS Coalition to quell the terrorist group’s presence in the region.

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/saudi-pilot-arrested-refusing-bomb-isis-syria/

Saudi Pilot Arrested for Refusing to Bomb ISIS in Syria

According to social media activists, a Saudi Air Force officer has refused orders to carry out an airstrike on Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) positions in Syria. The Saudi officer, Captain Faisal Al-Ghamdi, is said to have refused to participate in the airstrikes due to his support of the terrorist group. The news has circulated amongst pro-ISIS pages and has been referenced by their ground activists in Saudi Arabia, adding to the already turbulent relations between the terrorist group and Wahhabi-led government.

Saudi officials have yet to comment on the validity of this story; however, a picture and the soldier’s identity has been released by pro-ISIS media sources. ISIS has a strong presence in Saudi Arabia – the country’s government has financially supported rebels in Syria and Iraq to overthrow their governments. Recently, Saudi Arabia agreed to participate in the Anti-ISIS Coalition to quell the terrorist group’s presence in the region.

http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/saudi-pilot-arrested-refusing-bomb-isis-syria/

It will be interesting to see where the loyalties lie when the Gulf/Arab states start to weigh in... In my experience the Saudis are primarily interested in maintaining the Status Quo but who knows when a Caliphate is on the table. And then there is Jordan, Qatar, UAE, Lebenon...

It will be interesting to see where the loyalties lie when the Gulf/Arab states start to weigh in... In my experience the Saudis are primarily interested in maintaining the Status Quo but who knows when a Caliphate is on the table. And then there is Jordan, Qatar, UAE, Lebenon...

The ruling class will fight like hell to keep the status quo but the rank and file, Arab nationalists and Islamist factions might go for it...

Getting rid of the nations created by Sykes-Picot would be huge F U to the West and hence might gather support across national boundaries - Nasser's dream of a pan-Arab state still appeals to a lot

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/18/the-100-year-old-agreement-you-need-to-know-about-if-you-want-to-understand-whats-driving-the-islamic-state/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except none of them get along with the people in the next town, let alone 690 miles away.

There is a limit on what the size of pan-Sunni / Islamic State could be but there is enough unifying the Sunnis by alienation & conflict with Alawites, Shia, and Kurds to overcome tribal / cultural differences. ISIS is really a mutation of the Ba'ath party with new and unfortunately improved brutality added in for more kick.

Pretty good article on Sunni support for ISIS:

Why is there Sunni Arab support for Isis in Iraq?

• 3 weeks later...

Target Practice

But even if ISIS does have a rudimentary air force, it is basically useless in any true military sense, according to U.S. officials and American military pilots.

“I’d sell my first born to engage all three… by myself,” one highly experienced U.S. Marine Corps fighter pilot joked. Another Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle pilot said, “Send me in, coach! There’s no way they get those airborne!”

Edited by HU&W

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/isis-seizes-weapons-meant-kurdish-fighters-u-s-air-drop-article-1.1981899

I knew it was sure-fire strategy.

Islamic State terrorists have posted a new video on YouTube, gleefully boasting its militants had taken possession of U.S. military air drops meant to supply Kurdish fighters trying to defend the embattled city of Kobani.

Old news, I think (except they are actually flying them now) and they most likely aren't MIGs. These aircraft are most

likely L-39ZA Albatros, Light Attack Jets. I've been following this situation for a long time and these aircraft where

captured along with support equipment and ordnance in 2013.

Some consolidated historical/current info and there is lots more older info out there;

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-islamic-state-operating-fighter.html?showComment=1413572495149

I suspect that if they use these jets for anything it will be in a non-traditional role (for us anyway) ie; one way trip/

Islamic PGM-AIM/AGM Mode/suicide attack. Also, I would highly recommend that all former Syrian/Iraqi Air force pilots

working for ISIS, Al Nusra/Al Qaeda, etc be placed on the top of the list for targeting/extermination.

Syrian rebels (currently ISIS) captured these L-39ZA jets after overrunning the Al-Jarrah Air Base (the same base that

these jets were seen flying from). There are also numerous reports of folks seeing them taxing on Al-Jarrah Air Base the last few months.

The video is bunk. They got a wayward bundle of water, and then threw some boxes of old grenades and RPGs on the ground and made it look like we resupplied them. It's a bad attempt, but it looks like it worked for the media.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest poster child for US vetted/armed Syrian rebel groups surrenders/changes teams.

The windfall for the dark side appears to include TOW missiles, other US/Russian weapons, and 7,000 (US vetted/armed/

trained) potential new members for the ISIS/Al Nusra team. The attached video shows one aircraft (sitting on the ramp)

being destroyed by a TOW missile. Most of the sources/experts are calling the destroyed aircraft a MIG 21 but in my

humble/amateur opinion it's really a L-39.

Excerpt from article (numerous other sources available); For the last six months the Hazm movement, and the SRF through

them, had been receiving heavy weapons from the US-led coalition, including GRAD rockets and TOW anti-tank missiles.

Also the loss of a group that had been held up to the international media as being exemplary of Western efforts in Syria is a humiliating blow at the time that the US is increasing its military involvement in the country, with both air

strikes and training of local rebels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11203805/Syrian-rebels-use-US-supplied-anti-tank-missiles.html

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-syria-harakat-hazm-20140907-story.html#page=1