A-10 stormchaser

pbar

Interesting. Any A-10 drivers out there up for this?

"The U.S. military’s veteran A-10 Thunderbolt II is built for battle: a titanium-armored cockpit protects its pilot from explosive projectile hits, and it can carry weapons like a 30-mm nose-mounted cannon to take out enemy tanks. Now the National Science Foundation (NSF) plans to arm a retired Thunderbolt not with bombs, but with scientific instruments, and use it to study the inside of violent thunderstorms—where winds, hail, and lightning would take down lesser planes.

The NSF recently awarded a $10.9 million grant to the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif., a to refurbish a retired Thunderbolt for use as a storm-penetrating research plane, the journal Science reported this week. Stripped of weapons....."

Read more: Weather-Studying Warthog: A Fixed-Up A-10 Will Fly Into Thunderstorms - A-10 Thunderbolt II - Popular Mechanics

Sounds pretty cool to me. I don't know much about the water/hail ingestion limits, but aren't all the current storm chasers turboprops right now? Besides the facts that they are all well proven airframes, I wonder if it has anything to do with the intakes?

The A-10 replaces a T-28, a small, single-propeller armored plane that flew into storms for 35 years before it was grounded in 2005.

That sounds nerve wracking in a single engine piston aircraft!

Edited by spudsmac

This is an article about the T-28 that was built to fly into thunderstorms. I thought it was an interesting read.

http://www.ravens.org/T-28pilot.htm

Wow....

edit: added linkage

Edited by JarheadBoom

Not sure if I'm missing something, or they haven't thought this through. The airplane can take damage, yes- it's tough. But the fan blades don't take kindly to hail- not one bit. Had a 2-ship go through some in OEF last year and every fan blade was f'd. So, I guess if they can guarantee that the storm won't get worse and produce hail- sure go for it...

Anything's better than the plans for the LGPOS- it even comes on a stick about to take an AMRAAM up the arse:

post-918-0-59666500-1321833035_thumb.jpg

http://www.walters-online.com/guppy.htm

This what happens when you fly T-38's through a hail storm, I imagine the two TF-34's can take the abuse by hail but why would you want to do that, I imagine there budget doesn't have space in it for multiple engine changes plus sharing spares with the USAF as the only source of logistics they would be on the lowest priority for parts, the leading edges of a A-10 would look like swiss cheese or crazy bitch girlfriend went nuts with a ball peen hammer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

insert joke about the hail striking the fan blades from the back

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always preferred the "they replaced the airspeed indicator with a calendar" joke better.

f that

Whats the big deal?

hail-damage.jpg

f that

Amen.

Unfortunately, Hogs have been storm chasers since the first one rolled off the line.

The inability to climb over something as small as a 30k foot cell means you're gonna take some hail damage...just hope you remember to stow the pod and you're not carrying enough missiles to make it a class A when you hit the hail.

Hail is loud, especially at night min fuel over indian country.

Edited by Rainman A-10