Red Lens Test Waiver

Razor666

i did fail. i was able to perform it satisfactorily on some attempts but not so with others. i'm not sure exactly why i failed, i'll post up that information as soon as i have it.

keep me posted. You'd be surprised at the waivers in force available. I have one for mild esophoria (history of red lens test failure albeit only during my initial FC1) determined to be congenital. They have monitored me for over 14 years and with no further issues.

Failing the red lens is the equivalent of failing the depth perception test. It is a presumed failure or deficiency in stereopsis. Read the waiver guide entry for Defective Depth Perception/Stereopsis. The waiver exists. There will be extra testing. You will likely be approved.

Dead debate, I was told depth perception is usually one of the main reasons candidates get DQd from IFC1/MFS. Is this true? If not, what are typically the top reasons from your experience?

I'd have to look at the history of waiver approvals, which I may do tomorrow. But failing red lens is not as serious as failing the OVT (the circles) because it's very likely a patient didn't truly fail the red lens but instead misunderstood the instructions or the patient needs glasses/updated prescription. An ophthalmology consult should ferret out the actual diagnosis or cause for failing the test. See the depth for more info or post there. I'm too lazy to read what I or other people may have posted there previously, so if you want to know more, go post there to bump it.

for what its worth, depth perception is a common issue in our modern screen driven lives. a tip is to practice using the magic eyes books, they are called stereograms and they can help you train up that binocular depth perception that staring at your phone all day kills ;)

for what its worth, depth perception is a common issue in our modern screen driven lives. a tip is to practice using the magic eyes books, they are called stereograms and they can help you train up that binocular depth perception that staring at your phone all day kills ;)

come on, you know me man:

maintainers don't have their phone on the line :/

Edited by 12xu2a3x3

• 3 weeks later...

So the diagonosis from Flight Medicine is Exophoria. Their opinion is that a waiver submitted with no treatment would result in a denial. They recommend I pursue therepy for the condition. My major concer is that I've already got a waiver for age and I'm uncertain how the two will interact.

addionally, i have to confess to being a little bewildered by the whole proess. the doc who did the test is telling me i don't need threapy. then the doc who i guess did the central part of my FC-1 is telling me that therapy is my best option, since sending it to AETC as is will probably get me disqualified. none of them actually can tell me the metrics of what's wrong with my eyes because of some computer issues. my recuiters seem clueless, as does my guard units flight medical. i feel like i have no advoate and no plan...

esophoria? anything further? I have mild esophoria w/ enlarged cup to disc ratio (congenital) and a waiver in force, no issues. any other issues w/ intraocular pressures (i.e. high?)