USAF Budget Cuts

TheBlueMax

The worst thing someone in the Guard can do is think they are bulletproof because of their politcal connections or history or performance or great mx or shit hot pilots or any other of a multitude of reasons I've heard people spout...and then regret.

The Guard can and does get shacked.

I couldn't agree more! It seems some people will grasp to anything they can to rationalize why "we" should stay open. This time I'm more along the lines of why would they keep us? Others seem to have been through enough of these to know not to believe anything until the iron arrives/leaves the ramp. If you're not at least thinking of plans B and C, you're probably screwing up right now.

The Proposal I saw on the news is to ax 400 fighters and 35 "strategic" bombers. This is just the beginning, most of us are sheltered working for the gov't, but things are bad in the real world, and I do believe we will take a huge hit. UAV welcome letters to your inbox soon...

So where the hell are they going to find 400 fighters to cut? If this is actually true, I bet this is the start of the F-35 reduction.

Thats only the tripwire if the gang of 12 don't find any budget compromises soon, next week I think?

The Super Committee has until Thanksgiving to submit its proposal to Congress. If it doesn't find atleast $1.2 Trillion in savings/revenue then automatic cuts totaling $1.2 Trillion, 50% from defense and 50% from entitlements, would then go into effect immediately.

Edited by FlyingBull

The Super Committee has until Thanksgiving to submit its proposal to Congress. If it doesn't find atleast $1.2 Trillion in savings/revenue then automatic cuts totaling $1.2 Trillion, 50% from defense and 50% from entitlements, would then go into effect immediately.

So even if an agreement IS reached in time, such an agreement could still include huge additional defense cuts.

Edited by TMFan

Let me get this straight, you are saying Army guys don't NORMALLY get 365 day orders?

That is a first. I don't think I've ever heard an AF dude use the words Army and all the good deals in the same sentence. a 365 is about 3 months short of their usual trip (until recently).

Heard there were surprise budget cuts in UPT land today,anywhere else?

No surprise cuts that I'm aware of, but the plan is to cut UPT class sizes down to 22 due to laying off a number of MX personnel.

OK guys, discussing security issues at a base is definitely an OPSEC violation!

Subject posts have been deleted, and the individual who first posted the information has received a warning!

Guest Scaredfuzz

No surprise cuts that I'm aware of, but the plan is to cut UPT class sizes down to 22 due to laying off a number of MX personnel.

I had a buddy and 8 of his classmates in phase 2 at Laughlin get rolled back to the following class because of something to do with the budget. He didn't know the exact reason, but this would explain it.

Edited by Scaredfuzz

I had a buddy and 8 of his classmates in phase 2 at Laughlin get rolled back to the following class because of something to do with the budget. He didn't know the exact reason, but this would explain it.

He should have known the reason... They told us (actually your buddy and 9 classmates now) what was up and why when they told us to hang on to our hats. The thing that scares me about being one of said 10 people is that I have no f'n clue when/if I'll get put back in the pipeline, and it's not for poor performance or anything that was within my control.

He should have known the reason... They told us (actually your buddy and 9 classmates now) what was up and why when they told us to hang on to our hats. The thing that scares me about being one of said 10 people is that I have no f'n clue when/if I'll get put back in the pipeline, and it's not for poor performance or anything that was within my control.

Anyone who went to the og/cc call last week knows exactly why. It's bc of the redux in the mx force and subsequently the fewer number of lines they can support.

Anyone who went to the og/cc call last week knows exactly why. It's bc of the redux in the mx force and subsequently the fewer number of lines they can support.

I assume the pain is being spread across all UPT bases. Is that correct?

Also, how is this affecting (or how will it affect) ANG/AFR candidates?

Thanks,

AE

Hmmmm. Wonder if ATA could be cancelled. Per the attached and a SAF/GCA memo, all new conferences and conference related expenses must be cleared/approved by DepSecDef.

OMB Memo: Eliminating Excess Conference Spending & Promoting Efficiency in Government.

Also of Interest: OSD's Cost Guidance Home Page

Did everyone use the OSD Costing Calculator before you went to your last conference, or funded ceremony travel. According to this document you must use the calculator and present to your supervisor. Find it under the page top banner under "Attending Events".

Edited by Finance_Guy

The ATA should be cancelled. I went a few years back and while I had a drunken good time on the governments penny, it was an absolute waste of money. A significant waste of money. Same for the fucking AMC Rodeo.

Thanks,

AE

From what I understand it hurts XL more because we rely on temporary contractors more "due to the challenge of attracting permanent workers to the Del Rio area." (Paraphrased)

International, Guard and Reserve have priority, especially if it comes to a washback pool.between Phase 2 and 3.

Thanks,

AE

From what I understand it hurts XL more because we rely on temporary contractors more "due to the challenge of attracting permanent workers to the Del Rio area." (Paraphrased)

International, Guard and Reserve have priority, especially if it comes to a washback pool.between Phase 2 and 3.

The thing that scares me about being one of said 10 people is that I have no f'n clue when/if I'll get put back in the pipeline, and it's not for poor performance or anything that was within my control.

Just pointing out the fact that this is exactly the kind of lifestyle you're signing on for the next 10 years. Especially in this current political environment.

DFRESH,

If you completed phase 1 and are in that washback pool awaiting phase 2, you should be placed in the next class or 2 (depending on which T-6 squadron they want to place you in).

Edited by C17Driver

The ATA should be cancelled. I went a few years back and while I had a drunken good time on the governments penny, it was an absolute waste of money. A significant waste of money. Same for the fucking AMC Rodeo.

Amen.