USAF Budget Cuts

TheBlueMax

Anybody taking bets on whats going to get cut in the upcoming years (the possible purges due to massive DoD budget cuts)? Anyone have any ideas? My hope is reflective belts, but I have a feeling it may be A/C, flying hours and maybe even pilots.

Might just find out come Feb. Me thinks the Guard is low hanging fruit....I will be dusting of my resume and exploring my options!

What's the number to that truck driving school?

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

Don't think the Guard is threatened (as much). Different budget catagory, similar capability is cheaper, and cutting guard slots is more politically sensitive for Congress.

Hope you are correct, just made the jump. I've written it in another forum, but I've heard of tiered readiness and large cuts from some good sources. CH knows the best but he ain't tellin'

Edited by matmacwc

Don't think the Guard is threatened (as much). Different budget catagory, similar capability is cheaper, and cutting guard slots is more politically sensitive for Congress.

Leadership loves to preach that too. IDK, there seems to me be a pretty significant cut on it's way. I'm not normally a doom and gloom kind of guy, but I'd rather be prepared than live with my head in the ground.

Hope you are correct, just made the jump. I've written it in another forum, but I've heard of tiered readiness and large cuts from some good sources. CH knows the best but he ain't tellin'

Based on your locale, I would say you'll be fine.

Just saw your edit...hearing the same thing!

Edited by SocialD

Over heard as a fly on the wall listening to some AFMC types talking about the B-1going bye bye just because of cost per flight hour and mx reqd per flight hour, it is becoming the F-14 of the USAF. Plus it doesn't have a nuclear mission anymore. Alot cheaper to keep fixing Buffs and KC-135's.

Over heard as a fly on the wall listening to some AFMC types talking about the B-1going bye bye just because of cost per flight hour and mx reqd per flight hour, it is becoming the F-14 of the USAF. Plus it doesn't have a nuclear mission anymore. Alot cheaper to keep fixing Buffs and KC-135's.

That is a lot of aircrew available to come over to uav's to include the navs. Just saying...

The sad part is we'll still have to keep Ellsworth and Dyess open (the Dyess C-130s could probably fit somewhere else). I'd bet a month's salary that the B-1 will be axed within 3-4 years.

Rumors about shutting down half the NSAv light mission at Cannon and moving the other half to Florida. Removing the contract mx to save $$ was mentioned as well. There may be ~100 pilots AFSOC will have to relocate, I'm assuming they'll push most of them to UAV's or U-28's.

Oh wow, would their mission be picked up by contracted dudes? Curious if they rumors are from reliable sources. Cannon got its mission reassigned following BRAC so it'd be kind of weird to see them getting missions/ac's pulled away from the base.

Leadership loves to preach that too. IDK, there seems to me be a pretty significant cut on it's way. I'm not normally a doom and gloom kind of guy, but I'd rather be prepared than live with my head in the ground.

The worst thing someone in the Guard can do is think they are bulletproof because of their politcal connections or history or performance or great mx or shit hot pilots or any other of a multitude of reasons I've heard people spout...and then regret.

The Guard can and does get shacked.

Based on your locale, I would say you'll be fine.

Just remember, no one is safe. Complacency kills.

The worst thing someone in the Guard can do is think they are bulletproof because of their politcal connections or history or performance or great mx or shit hot pilots or any other of a multitude of reasons I've heard people spout...and then regret.

The Guard can and does get shacked.

Just remember, no one is safe. Complacency kills.

Completely agree. The old argument about a concentration of experience is not going to hold up in this fiscal environment, especially when the Guard and Reserve dwell hovers at 1:4-1:5 while the active component is less than 1:2.

The DTMO regrets to announce the cancellation of the 2012 Connect Seminar. Although we recognize the value in hosting such an event, we know that today's environment demands that organizations be fiscally conservative, especially with travel funds. Therefore, after soliciting feedback from Service and Agency senior leadership it was decided that this is the best decision based on the current fiscal environment.

Presentations from the 2011 Seminar can be found in the Reference Library or by searching for “2011 Connect Seminar” using the Search feature at the top of the page.

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/seminar.cfm

Read the latest Defense Travel Dispatch

Heard it on good authority that the 6 SOS at Hurlburt might be very well getting rid of their rotor wing FID mission in the near future. I also heard that is has less to do with upcoming budget cuts and more so due to the Army spec wanting back all of the AF's SOF rotor wing missions.

The Proposal I saw on the news is to ax 400 fighters and 35 "strategic" bombers. This is just the beginning, most of us are sheltered working for the gov't, but things are bad in the real world, and I do believe we will take a huge hit. UAV welcome letters to your inbox soon...

What news? Share the link...

The Proposal I saw on the news is to ax 400 fighters and 35 "strategic" bombers. This is just the beginning, most of us are sheltered working for the gov't, but things are bad in the real world, and I do believe we will take a huge hit. UAV welcome letters to your inbox soon...

Thats only the tripwire if the gang of 12 don't find any budget compromises soon, next week I think?

That may be the case but thee Army specifically refused the Mi-17 gig's in Afghanistan and Iraq by saying that the Mi-17 was not "flight-worthy." Don't know how they'll do the FID mission when many foreign countries use the Russian helo's

The basic Mi-17 advisor mission in Iraq/AFghanistan is NOT ran by the 6 SOS. The argument is not whether the Army will be taking over the basic Air Advisor (non AFSOC/SOF) mission (though I've heard the non SOF Army guys will be in fact taking over some of that work), rather the argument is whether the Air Force will still own the rotor wing FID mission. I have heard the Army wants that mission since they are the experts when it comes to SOF rotor wing assets.

Army FID is currently being set up here at Rucker, and helo dudes heading out to the 6th were told to stand-by and may be going still, but transitioning to fixed wing... looks like the writing is on the wall for us to lose one of the good deals out there with the 6th.