BACN BD-700 / E11A

sputnik

1: yielding or likely to yield a reward : valuable, satisfying

We were a valuable asset to the guys on the ground and were involved in multiple instances where our team made the difference to either the capture or killing of the dirkas. My tour was satisfying.

Maybe others flying fighters or a bomber that is actively involved would not find it as rewarding.

Obviously you don't know what the E-11 does. I could tell you, but..................

I realize it's a sweet platform and I assume it's an important mission, but the flying.....I'm guessing ain't very exciting is it?

Far as the the MC12, the only buds I had it were in the first wave of volunteers. I'm guessing things have evolved but neither of them found it particularly interesting and neither were remotely interested in going back. It sounds like maybe the crew is getting more fun stuff to do?

I realize it's a sweet platform and I assume it's an important mission, but the flying.....I'm guessing ain't very exciting is it?

Far as the the MC12, the only buds I had it were in the first wave of volunteers. I'm guessing things have evolved but neither of them found it particularly interesting and neither were remotely interested in going back. It sounds like maybe the crew is getting more fun stuff to do?

A bud of mine just got back from his 6 months in the BACN. He said that the short training program was a big advantage over the MC-12 in terms of time away from home. Other than that, he said the most exciting thing that occurred on the deployment was choosing which movies to watch during the flights.

Yes, the MC-12 has evolved quite significantly since the first year of ops, and the mission sets differ (often considerably) depending on base/location, and even differ between supported unit and time of day.

If you have the choice between the two deployments, which one is 'better' depends a whole lot on who you are and what you're looking to get out of it. IMHO, the BACN could provide a fighter-background guy with a type of flying experience (and ATP/Type) which would show future civilian employers some diversity of experience, but it wouldn't be very exciting so far as the actual day-to-day execution goes. The MC-12, while being a type of experience that some future civilian employers might not be quite as impressed with, would likely be more satisfying during the deployment while flying missions.

The end-state reality for us military guys, though, is this: if we are hired by a civilian flying operation, what type of civil type rating we do or don't have is not going to be the reason why we are selected.

Edited by Hacker

Yes the mission has evolved. Were your buds in Iraq? If so, totally different mission and wasn't much going on.

There is no shortage of boredom. However, I've had a few sorties that more than made up for the others where we were just burning dinosaurs. I'll leave with a justified sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

This plane is NOT an ISR platform. It literally orbits at FL500 and acts as a relay platform for electronic "stuff" collected by other planes. Very boring i would think, and that's coming from a tanker guy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I called the guy a few weeks ago and they're not taking reserve or ANG part-timers, just AGR. They don't have the money to fund man-days and have enough AD volunteers to last thru CY14.

I am sure the Guard AGRs are lining up out the door for that opportunity.

:bash:

• 1 year later...

Read the following article about BACN:

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/485153/battlefield-airborne-communications-node-ensures-warfighter-connectivity.aspx

Seems like the program is continuing to be funded through FY15, with the idea of making it a permanent cape. Anyone in the know have word on what they're going to do with the E-11s after the drawdown?

• 1 year later...