CSO Training Length

lmarron

For clarification, if the Guard unit is the Peoria unit, then I have someone from there in my class and they have Slicks so just 6 monthis at Little Rock... but if you happen to be in an actual HC-130 unit, then the time at Kirtland would be in addition... (source a few HC-130 guys who are now instructors... it is my 1st choice airframe)

• 2 weeks later...

While we're talking about total training time for airframes..what is it for F-15s, B-52s or B-1s? Looks like C-130s is 18-24 months, depending on whether you go Rescue/AFSOC. How about the Compass Calls down in Arizona? I know F-15s require IFF and then the FTU Luke, anyone know about the training lengths for those two qualification schools? I'm guessing E-3s, E-8s and RCs you do the FTU at the main base since there's only 1 base those airframes fly out of in the CONUS.

The F-15E FTU hasn't been at Luke since over 15 years ago. It is now at Seymour Johnson AFB in NC. Expect 2 months for IFF and 10 months for the FTU. You'll also need to factor in a couple months here and there for PCSing and training dates not matching up perfectly. Example, I graduated Pcola in April, and made it to my first ops squadron in June of the next year. That was several years ago, so the timeline may have changed slightly.

While we're talking about total training time for airframes..what is it for F-15s, B-52s or B-1s? Looks like C-130s is 18-24 months, depending on whether you go Rescue/AFSOC. How about the Compass Calls down in Arizona? I know F-15s require IFF and then the FTU Luke, anyone know about the training lengths for those two qualification schools? I'm guessing E-3s, E-8s and RCs you do the FTU at the main base since there's only 1 base those airframes fly out of in the CONUS.

B-52s is 9 months for navs and ~8.25 months for EWs. E-3s, it's 4 weeks of academics and however long it takes you to get 5 effective training sorties and a Form 8 check... Usually 3-4 months once you factor in two weeks of MQT at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Graduated in August. IFF in October (2 months), PCS December (pretty much immediately after IFF) started B-course yesterday. Graduate early Sept, Lord willing. My dates all lined up though. Any slip in that chain and I would not have started B course until April.

Edited by GO BIG BLUE

• 2 weeks later...

I Know these are dumb questions but here I go:

1) Pcola water survival is Parachute compared to non parachute given at Fairchild (I am a former RC-135 Linguist) right?

2) I will not get the "opportunity" to attend survival school again will I?

Thanks, I am a CSO select and will be in Pcola sometime mid July (I got bumped to BOT 12-06).

I Know these are dumb questions but here I go:

1) Pcola water survival is Parachute compared to non parachute given at Fairchild (I am a former RC-135 Linguist) right?

Yup. And it's a freaking blast.

2) I will not get the "opportunity" to attend survival school again will I?

I don't believe so. I had a couple former loads in my CSO class and they didn't have to go again.

Thanks, I am a CSO select and will be in Pcola sometime mid July (I got bumped to BOT 12-06).

Congrats! I recommend living off base. The on base housing company is evil....assuming those dorms they threatened us with aren't completed yet. I don't recall when they were going to be built.

Edited by FlyingBull

assuming those dorms they threatened us with aren't completed yet. I don't recall when they were going to be built.

They've broken ground on them and construction is underway at the moment but I have no idea what the estimated completion/occupancy date is currently

Ground was broken on the dorms many months ago. They're a terrible idea IMO. For all the noobs about to show up to Pensacola soon: fight to stay off base. Perdido has some awesome beachfront spots to rent. Avoid Balfour like the plague.

I second this. Live out the back gate. There is plenty of really nice places to live out there. I got a nice house with a couple class mates once we were liberated from Balfour and had a blast.

Is it really that bad on base? Do you have the same opinion for someone going to training with their family or just for single students. I was stationed at Cory Station for 7 months and the neighborhoods right off base seemed so crappy. There was a shooting where two people were killed right off base while I was there. Is it a lot better of a neighborhood out the back gate of NAS.

Edited by one

Is it really that bad on base? Do you have the same opinion for someone going to training with their family or just for single students. I was stationed at Cory Station for 7 months and the neighborhoods right off base seemed so crappy. There was a shooting where two people were killed right of base while I was there. Is it a lot better of a neighborhood out the back gate of NAS.

Perdido is infinitely better of a neighborhood than anything out the front gate. I personally didn't mind living on base, because I was able to save a lot of money and time (and I wasn't there with a family).

Edited by OregonHerc

Some of my Classmates have families and live on base. They say its not bad, but I have yet to meet a unmarried CSO stud who is on base and doesn't wish they were off base.

Out the back gate there are plenty of nice neighborhoods as it has been said. Inexpensive there are a few nice apartment complexes right out the back gate. Out on perdido is a little pricey but is probably the nicest place in the area. Also going out the back gate to dog track road there are a bunch of nice subdivisions where you can rent a house cheaper than perdido but is still nice, clean and safe. Same goes for the places of 98 that are west of blue angel. If you want to be closer to the bars, there is a nice neighborhood just north of downtown that a few of my classmates live at. It's a little bit of a hike for the 0430 show times during some of training, but they like it out there.

• 6 years later...

Incredible thread revival here, but, does anyone have any SA on the new syllabus change for 2019?  Rumor has it that the length of training will be slashed drastically and it will end up being a TDY instead of a PCS.  

I may get the answer next week, but was hoping to know sooner as I have already been house hunting - it's definitely a game changer if there is any truth to the rumor...

• 4 weeks later...

@dotonfiremy itinerary is 1 year, but I take that as an estimate...orders can be modified.  I do see they shortened the syllabus on ETCA, but not as much as the original rumor.  My best guess now is 10 months?  No changes to my house hunting plans.