CSO Training Length

lmarron

I've done enough research that I think the CSO training lasts about a year. Can anyone just confirm this for me? I just got picked up from this past summer's board and I'm join spouse so hopefully my wife can find a job at Eglin/Hurlburt. Obviously the duration of the training will determine whether AFPC moves her down to the area or not.

Thanks much!

I've done enough research that I think the CSO training lasts about a year. Can anyone just confirm this for me? I just got picked up from this past summer's board and I'm join spouse so hopefully my wife can find a job at Eglin/Hurlburt. Obviously the duration of the training will determine whether AFPC moves her down to the area or not.

Thanks much!

The actual CSO program runs about 11 months so adding in time for IFS and water survival plus casual time between everything waiting to start you're easily looking at a year and a few months in Pensacola.

Edited by Odium

Guest cody6766

You'll be there for a year and a half or so. I'm not sure how long the guys are sitting casual now, but you'll have a couple months total between the front and back side easily.

As for your wife working at Herbie or Eglin, that's probably not going to work out well. You're going to want to be w/in about 10 mins of NAS PCola for those 0430 show days that happen more than anyone likes. That leaves her driving 1+30-2hrs to work each way. Look for a place out the back gate, near Blue Angel (a street) and you'll be in good shape.

As for your wife working at Herbie or Eglin, that's probably not going to work out well. You're going to want to be w/in about 10 mins of NAS PCola for those 0430 show days that happen more than anyone likes. That leaves her driving 1+30-2hrs to work each way. Look for a place out the back gate, near Blue Angel (a street) and you'll be in good shape.

So they could just give up, or... they could live in Gulf Breeze and each drive a little bit, even if it is early. That's probably a better option than telling the guy to live WEST of the base. Just sayin.

So figure about year at PCola. Right now I'm supposed to PCS in early June with the T-6 phase starting end of July, '12. I appreciate the comments about where to live, we've heard great things about living on the west side of PCola but we could also do Gulf Breeze. The drive would not be terribly fun for either of us but it could be done. We're just trying to get the necessary info so we can make an informed decision when the time comes in early Spring.

In terms of then reporting to your follow on assignment, I'm guessing that largely depends on what airframe you track. For example, it sounds like the Strike Eagle guys go to IFF, then to the Strike Eagle schoolhouse at Luke before reporting in at their unit? On the flip side, a guy doing RC's would probably just PCS straight to Offutt and do his specific training there? Forgive me if I have bases messed up, just trying to put it all together from what I've been reading on the boards.

Thanks for the input!

-Luke

So figure about year at PCola. Right now I'm supposed to PCS in early June with the T-6 phase starting end of July, '12. I appreciate the comments about where to live, we've heard great things about living on the west side of PCola but we could also do Gulf Breeze. The drive would not be terribly fun for either of us but it could be done. We're just trying to get the necessary info so we can make an informed decision when the time comes in early Spring.

In terms of then reporting to your follow on assignment, I'm guessing that largely depends on what airframe you track. For example, it sounds like the Strike Eagle guys go to IFF, then to the Strike Eagle schoolhouse at Luke before reporting in at their unit? On the flip side, a guy doing RC's would probably just PCS straight to Offutt and do his specific training there? Forgive me if I have bases messed up, just trying to put it all together from what I've been reading on the boards.

Thanks for the input!

-Luke

You're right on, your follow-on location depends totally on the airframe you get. You may go direct to where you will be long-term, there may be 1-2 stops in between depending on what you get.

WRT to where to live, don't screw over you wife just so you can live 5 minutes from your squadron. Happy wife = happy life. Trust me, the commute from West Pensacola to Eglin is brutal and will not work out well for either of you. Even Gulf Breeze to Eglin is pretty far so just keep her in the front of your mind when you choose where to live. Nunya's advice is sound, split the difference.

You're right on, your follow-on location depends totally on the airframe you get. You may go direct to where you will be long-term, there may be 1-2 stops in between depending on what you get.

WRT to where to live, don't screw over you wife just so you can live 5 minutes from your squadron. Happy wife = happy life. Trust me, the commute from West Pensacola to Eglin is brutal and will not work out well for either of you. Even Gulf Breeze to Eglin is pretty far so just keep her in the front of your mind when you choose where to live. Nunya's advice is sound, split the difference.

Oh trust me, screwing her over is not in the cards, period. We've been married for 4 years, and this will be our 3rd AF move together (she's CE, 32E) so we're not strangers to this whole bit. And the AF will be here for 15 yrs, she'll be with me a lifetime so I'm not going to make her unhappy. I wouldn't be here if she wasn't supportive of the whole bit. If there's a job at Eglin/Hurlburt for her, we'll be finding a place in the middle that's not a terrible drive (hopefully) for either of us. Unfortunately that area just sucks in terms of driving from one place to another because there's not really a highway. If we were to live out the back of PCola, that means she got out.

Just gathering info like I said. If they get her a job down at Eglin or PCola we'll definitely weigh the options. Her getting a job there though I believe is pretty dependent on how long the training is since they will only move a military member for a join spouse assignment after 12 months TOS. Hence the initial question.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback!

You will absolutely, no doubt be here for more than a year. The CSO training itself is 11 months, at least three weeks for IFS, Water Survival, and count on a few months of casual time in between each. I will be right at a year and half when I graduate.

As for after training, don't count on much time, but some people are here for awhile. I talked to one person today who will be here until November so it is not impossible to have a little time afterwards as well.

In terms of then reporting to your follow on assignment, I'm guessing that largely depends on what airframe you track. For example, it sounds like the Strike Eagle guys go to IFF, then to the Strike Eagle schoolhouse at Luke Seymour-Johnson before reporting in at their unit?

FIFY

Guest cody6766
Oh trust me, screwing her over is not in the cards, period. We've been married for 4 years, and this will be our 3rd AF move together (she's CE, 32E) so we're not strangers to this whole bit

I didn't catch the mil-mil married part. I skimmed over that bit I guess. In that light, splitting the difference would obviously be the way to go. I know there are some instructors living in Navarre, so that could be an option. Gulf Breeze to Eglin is still quite a haul. Just realize that traffic in Pensacola flows painfully slow during the day. I used to be able to make it 20 miles in OKC in 25'ish mins. To do that through PCola will take 45'ish unless you're lucky with the lights and traffic.

My class finished in August and most of us will be gone by November. That includes a TDY for SERE before the PCS out. I bet they'll find their groove in the next few classes and you'll be able to better predict time at the end of training. Some of the C-130 guys were out in a week or 2 after winging because they are doing SERE after their FTU, so that 'norm' won't always be that normal.

You'll be there for a year and a half or so. I'm not sure how long the guys are sitting casual now, but you'll have a couple months total between the front and back side easily.

Months? Try YEARS...

Months? Try YEARS...

Years, really? As in plural? You sat casual for at least 2 years in addition to your CSO training? Was this related to the schoolhouse move, a phenomenon that will not affect students in the near future? Maybe a touch of hyperbole...

Years, really? As in plural? You sat casual for at least 2 years in addition to your CSO training? Was this related to the schoolhouse move, a phenomenon that will not affect students in the near future? Maybe a touch of hyperbole...

I think it is a little hyperbole but not a whole lot. Those of us in the 11 series classes were on casual status for around a year prior to the start of training due to waiting for the school to stand up. This is no longer the case with new students as they're on casual for less than two months now.

I think it is a little hyperbole but not a whole lot. Those of us in the 11 series classes were on casual status for around a year prior to the start of training due to waiting for the school to stand up. This is no longer the case with new students as they're on casual for less than two months now.

Exactly.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me out with the usual time given between leaving OTS and the Pcola RNLTD? I'm prior E heading to OTS late Feb '12.

Reason being... I'm still trying to sell my house (anybody heading to The Rock? Got a house for ya). Debating on whether to take leave enroute to OTS and setup the family at Pensacola then go to OTS, or get the family set up after OTS. Thoughts?

Can anyone help me out with the usual time given between leaving OTS and the Pcola RNLTD? I'm prior E heading to OTS late Feb '12.

Reason being... I'm still trying to sell my house (anybody heading to The Rock? Got a house for ya). Debating on whether to take leave enroute to OTS and setup the family at Pensacola then go to OTS, or get the family set up after OTS. Thoughts?

The standard time is one day, because P'cola is only a hundred miles or so from Maxwell. If you talk to the personnel people early, you may be able to get some enroute leave added to your orders between OTS and P'cola..

Hello, I was recently selected to be a C-130 navigator for the Illinois National Guard. Its been a long approval process (over a year) and since I originally applied back in early 2010, the training path has changed.

From my understanding it breaks down into AMS (6weeks @ McGee-Tyson) -> IFS (length? @ Pueblo,CO) -> Undergraduate Nav (9 months? @ Pensacola,FL) --> HC-130 Nav Training (where? how long?) Survival School (water and combat? length?) --> Seasoning days at home guard unit (45-90 days)

Does anyone know if the training program is back to back, or if there are breaks in between for Guard/Reserve?

Also, should I study anything before going to IFS/Nav school? I come from a computer science background, and I've only taken one flight lesson.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hello, I was recently selected to be a C-130 navigator for the Illinois National Guard. Its been a long approval process (over a year) and since I originally applied back in early 2010, the training path has changed.

From my understanding it breaks down into AMS (6weeks @ McGee-Tyson) -> IFS (length? @ Pueblo,CO) -> Undergraduate Nav (9 months? @ Pensacola,FL) --> HC-130 Nav Training (where? how long?) Survival School (water and combat? length?) --> Seasoning days at home guard unit (45-90 days)

Does anyone know if the training program is back to back, or if there are breaks in between for Guard/Reserve?

Also, should I study anything before going to IFS/Nav school? I come from a computer science background, and I've only taken one flight lesson.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Someone I know is from the Peoria Guard...IFS is a month. Water survival is 3 days, prior to class start in Pcola. Nav school is 11 months, FTU at Little Rock is about 6 months. She PCS'd out of Pensacola on or near graduation day and started class at the Rock about three weeks later.

For a new guy, IFS is a no-nonsense screening course that shouldn't be taken lightly. You need to show up on day one ready to go.

- I'd suggest you go to the IFS websight at www.dossifs.com and read it carefully. There are several types of pre-arrival requirements (administrative things and study req'ts) that require you to submit things before you go. Knowing what you need to do in advance can make it all go much more smoothly.

- It would also help to get some addtional flying time before you go if you can. I'd recommend finding a place that uses the Diamond DA20 as their training aircraft, as that's what you'll fly at IFS. There are lots of procedural things about the IFS profile (exact ways to fly to training areas, ways to talk to people, etc) so if you don't have to worry inflight as much about basic flying (heading, altitude, airspeed, patterns and landings, etc) you'll be able to focus more on the procedures. You don't need a PPL, but flying up to the solo point (about 15 hours most places) might help a lot.

- Washouts in the IFS program are not uncommon, especially on the CSO side where many people haven't had much prior flight training. Occasionally its from lack of proficiency, but more often its from a poor attitude and failure to take the program seriously early on. When you walk in the door, you need to know the DA20 ops limits and bold-face emergency procedures verbatim and without hesitation Both sets of info are on the IFS website, and are an example of attitude. By the way, the information isn't terribly hard to learn, but it is a good "attitude indicator" to the staff about how you've prepared. Like most military flight training programs, there isn't much "catch up time" if you get behind, so don't get behind!!

- Oh, yeah. They take the fitness and weight program seriously, too, so be in limits whan you get there.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

Don't expect anything more than a day because of the short distance. I know some people did the move beforehand, and some after. They were really great with us in terms of taking leave, or simply having time to get all moved in and settled. I don't think there is quite as much time as there used to be, but you should have plenty of time after if you don't want to mess with it before.