ANG/ RESERVE Fighter jobs

These are for current, previously qualified or potentially qualified fighter dudes. NOT SUPT CANDIDATES, so don't post or ask. Mostly I'll post Nationwide, but sometimes I'll miss it if they are hiring internally.

California ANG (AGR):

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/cahr/Documents/Job/airagr/A11-066.pdf

San Antonio (ART):

ART

San Antonio, gotta be current/qualified IP (TR):

http://www.texasnationalguard.us/jobs/air/traditional/149/149-11-36%20Instructor%20Pilot%20new.pdf

Klamath, have to have 300 hours in the F-15 (AGR):

https://newafpims.afnews.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110222-065.pdf

Tell me there are no jobs. Time is running out to apply.

Edited by matmacwc

Gents-

I'm hoping this is the right venue. I'm currently a qualified AV-8B Marine aviator with multiple tours and multiple combat deployments looking at the end of my contract. The reason I bring this up is that there are a lot more rumors our there in my world then fact on how to make the gold to silver transitions. I've read the gold to silver transition package, but my primary question is if I'm looking at at guard/reserve unit who is the best person to talk to regarding the possibility of job. It seems that even when a job is advertised on USAJOBS or wherever the POC is still a MSGT or basic recruitor, not someone that actually knows about the position. I'm sure the "right person" to talk to might be different at different units, but a little guidance would be helpful.

In the three Guard fighter units I have flown with, we didn't use a term like "Rated Pilot Hiring Manager." For fighter units, asking for the "Ops O" or "DO" is the best place to start. If he has designated someone to be in charge of hiring, he will send you there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gents-

I'm hoping this is the right venue. I'm currently a qualified AV-8B Marine aviator with multiple tours and multiple combat deployments looking at the end of my contract. The reason I bring this up is that there are a lot more rumors our there in my world then fact on how to make the gold to silver transitions. I've read the gold to silver transition package, but my primary question is if I'm looking at at guard/reserve unit who is the best person to talk to regarding the possibility of job. It seems that even when a job is advertised on USAJOBS or wherever the POC is still a MSGT or basic recruitor, not someone that actually knows about the position. I'm sure the "right person" to talk to might be different at different units, but a little guidance would be helpful.

The unit may appoint an enlisted POC that handles the applications/paperwork side of the process. My unit always appoints a Capt/Major pilot, who then coordinates with the shoe clerk side as necessary. If you have to first contact a MSgt/recruiter, be polite, check the squares as necessary but ask for the Squadron Commander and/or DO's contact info ASAP and get in touch with them. They will have much more influence on getting hired and run the hiring board. If the POC starts to give you any flak don't let them [some see it as their empire, and may be intimidated by the Ops side- for example way back when I was trying to get hired as a UPT guy and I asked the enlisted POC for some of the pilots contacts (Squadron commander, etc.) and he wouldn't give it to me because "they are busy and we shouldn't bother them. Bullsh!t. That's who you need to talk to].

Good luck. My unit hired an AV-8 dude at the same time as me (Oct 08). Great dude who we're happy to have.

Barney

If the POC starts to give you any flak don't let them [some see it as their empire, and may be intimidated by the Ops side- for example way back when I was trying to get hired as a UPT guy and I asked the enlisted POC for some of the pilots contacts (Squadron commander, etc.) and he wouldn't give it to me because "they are busy and we shouldn't bother them. Bullsh!t

It helps if your father is a General. You can say bullshit to anyone on the base in that case.

Barney is absolutely right, talk to the FS/CC or DO. It is as simple as calling the ops desk and asking for one/both of them (or whomever is in charge that day, including the SOF). They won't be bothered by your call, you're a full up fighter pilot interested in the unit. That's a good thing. They are fighter pilots and they fully expect you to be aggressive and find them and talk to them if you want a job.

I've seen USMC pilots thrive in ARC units because they take the flying seriously, have a much higher bullshit tolerance than the standard mewling USAF pilot and the are generally just damn glad to be part of the program because it is such a cakewalk compared to where they came from.

I've also never seen a USMC pilot who flinched in combat. Commanders need that.

Good luck.

Barney and Rainman

I appreciate the input. In all honesty I was trying to feel out if the squadron CO would be appropriate. I've not problem trying to sell myself if I can be my foot in the door, with the right person. I just took a job teaching at our FRS for a little downtime but my intent is to start the rush this time next year. With all honesty we are thinking about trying to gets back to the pacific northwest so i may be trying to get to know he Boise A-10 drivers. I've det'd ou of Mt Home before an the ranges up there are great.

Barney

Who was the harrier driver you picked, we are a small family.

It helps if your father is a General. You can say bullshit to anyone on the base in that case.

Hey! GFYS (again)!

My mentioning that specific case wasn't because I knew to go past the guy at the time. It was because I've learned that since. I was too green and DIDN'T go past him. Luckily I still got hired.

Cane53d- his callsign is Bones. That's all the info I'll give out on an internet message board, sorry.

I just took a job teaching at our FRS for a little downtime but my intent is to start the rush this time next year.

Start now. Offer to bring in a jet XC and give some academics on a drill. Barney can connect you with their patchwearer for the academics part.

Technique only.

Hey! GFYS (again)!.

Fair enuf.

But you're not denying the part about your Dad being a Vietnam ass kicking Navy exchange flying off a carrier USAF fighter pilot and...two star GO.

That's something to be proud of..and it doesn't hurt none neither.

The XC is the plan for East Coast units. The harrier doesn't quite have the legs to make it out to Idaho unless we're on det and usually we det to the southwest(Yuma, El Centro, ect). Plus I'm currently at KAF so I'm going to go give some lectures to the guys on deployment here. That being said we used to have a lot of avionics that, in my opinion made out suite better than yours but now that you are using the link and gen 4 I'm just jealous.

Fair enuf.

But you're not denying the part about your Dad being a Vietnam ass kicking Navy exchange flying off a carrier USAF fighter pilot and...two star GO.

That's something to be proud of..and it doesn't hurt none neither.

Agreed. I will never deny his accolades. His 10 air medals and DFC are just deserved. I will always be proud of him and he's one of my best friends. It's just tough to make your own way, as much as I try, without that as a part of my life. My comments were to educate without his influence- of which I never asked beyond a recommendation. But thank you for the honorable mention. He deserves inclusion always. I let him know that daily.

I would be happy to help any ass-kickin' driven bro out there.

Barney

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...