C-5

scoobs

You don't here much of FRED on this board so this might help someone who is in UPT.This was off on another forum.

I got my C5 assignemnt to the west coast 2 years ago. It was my third choice after C-21 overseas and C-17 McChord. For the amount of bad press Freddy gets, it's actually a pretty good deal. For one you don't deploy. The infastructure required to keep Freddy flying and the fact that it has a huge range allows it to fly out of home station downrange and back in 2-3 days. No staying in tents, the per diem is great, and crews stay nice places (with the exception of Moron which sort of sucks). Also, Freddy tends to only break in non-crappy locations. The mission is neat and the fact that it only fits at a given amount of airports, it keeps you out of some god forsaken locations. The reason why you are probably not seeing that many Freddies in drops is because of the plans that are being arranged for the airplane. There are in the process of sending quite a few to the guard / reserve but those numbers are still being worked out. Also, at least in the West coast the two c5 squadrons are merging into 1 to make room for Barney (c-17) moving in next year. That means that the one squadron will be overmanned with c-5 pilots based on the number of Freddies they retain.

With the modifications coming down the line, including a new all glass cockpit, and new engines, Freddy will stay out of the bottom of people dream sheets. By the way... I was 5 out 13 in my class.

And one more for you guys.

-5's always always crew rest at big airports, great times to be had by all crews. These big boys never deploy because of the matinance issues, I did 7 years as a loadmaster on the c-5 and loved it all, had a blast in the big 10K strips all over the world. Now flying C-130's from the right seat and can tell you sleaping in the desert sucks as all my C-17 buddies will agree. In my class 03-05, everyone wanted C-17s, now our C-5 class mate is laughing his *** off in Frankfurt and Siganilia every night. No C-5 stag down range!

Guest deanrancourt

The same can pretty much be said for the -135, especially the R models. In my 5+ years, I can only say I have been to one crappy place and that was "the 'deid" back when it was all tents and in the middle of July (you don't know what hot is until you've done that). Granted, I'm a Guard guy and we don't volunteer our stuff for shitty places if we can help it. You must have 7000'+ feet of paved runway to get in there and some of the E models aren't allowed places because of their smoke/noise/reduced capability issues. I remember my drop (in '98) and nobody wanted -135's, everybody wanted C-17's. I know the C-17 is a great airframe but those boys are gone an awful lot these days. Granted, Grand Forks and McConnell probably aren't the best places in the world to be based but as far as sleeping in the desert, most people there haven't done that yet. Just my $.02.

Guest jetskiing

I have a question about the C-17. I joined the reserves and will be done with training and at my base in about 2 years. Can anyone give me an idea of my schedule...how often and for how long I will be gone? thanks

Guest jetskiing

Chuckfly17s- Thanks for the reply. I'm actually a married girl so I just wanted to get some info on my schedule and how often I would see my husband.

Guest deanrancourt

As far as -135's go, I can't speak with too much authority on the AD side of the house just the Guard side. I do know they will deploy in 90 day rotations to the "desert" and occassional "stan" (after 9/11 mostly) but for the most part, I would say hopping across one pond or another dragging fighters on a coronet for a week is more common than long TDY's for those guys. If any AD 135 drivers out there no better, please chime in. From what I know, they aren't getting their "balls busted" as bad as they used to. Pre-Iraq war, they seem to have been TDY alot more. Just remember one thing-NKAWTG-and that means anytime some "***-kicking" needs to take place, the -135's are bound to be there 'til the end.

Guest PilotFrog

Grand Forks 135 AC here. Short answers. No, we are not deploying for 90 days. Well we just had a major get back from 90 days, but that was a special situation. What we do is deploy for 45 which turns into about 60 usually. Then we come back for 3 weeks and do it again. Currently at three different deployed locations and run the staff at two of them, though that changes soon. One place is pretty cool, the other two suck. Living in tents, 130 degrees, and -30 during the winter at one place. I've deployed 2 this year, both for 50 and would be on the road right now cept I got C-12Js to Korea and leave soon. One buddy has been gone 4 times in less than a year. Average is about 200 days gone for someone who isn't on Wing staff. CoPilots are hurting right now, though upgrade usually comes within 2 years at the most. I have 2000 hours, and in less than 3 years. WE are everywhere, and always will be. GF, Fairchild, and McConnell are getting thier balls busted, Robbins and McDill not so much. Great airplane, good mission, lots of combat hours.

PF