What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

The key to the newer CBT's is to never try the "knowledge advancement" option, but to go click blindly through the whole thing. If you go to the advancement, it takes just as long, and you actually have to concentrate.

Has anyone else done the cyber awareness challenge formerly known as information assurance? I think it changed in October-new FY and all. Who dreams this shit up? And fire extinguisher training for all my friends?I know I should have gotten over CBTs long ago, but wtf is up with the latest iterations? How do we find money to keep changing them?Take the Cyber Awareness Challenge then do DTS back to back and figure out what the AF spent more time and money on!Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You should see the one they implemented to teach aircrew how to use the new AirCard (formerly known as the white fuel card)...and the AFI that goes along with it.

We seriously need an audit to quantify the amount of supercilious CBTs-"training" that are being dished out to end users...I don't know if the bosses are aware of what the average crew member is required to complete.

• Upvote 1

Cake compared to the (new?) Risk Management Fundamentals. Took over an hour, and that was while max performing the left mouse button.

Depending on how long you've been in you may have already completed the 20 minute version at the Kirtland ORM University. It's a one time requirement and I completed mine in 2006. Print out the certificate and you're good to go; I'll post instructions tomorrow.

Today I laughed when I saw a unit safety rep posting a flyer on the safety board.....special interest item......Thrill rides not allowed. I was perplexed so I had to the fine print as to what a thrill ride was.

Apparently some dude morted himself by riding a motorbike at 100+ mph after smoking pot.

Thankfully the USAF has solved the problem with this ban that laws and common sense could not and there go my weekend plans. I only wish this ban had been in place to save that young military member before he smoked his joint and got on his bike because if he saw this....I know he would have obeyed.

• Upvote 1

Depending on how long you've been in you may have already completed the 20 minute version at the Kirtland ORM University. It's a one time requirement and I completed mine in 2006.

Doesn't count...at least in PACAF. Either that or we were lied to and I wasted a solid 45 min of my day.

So, has anybody seen the new annual requirement to accomplish a Civil Liberties CBT? I have an AF-funded masters degree that I was highly encouraged by my leadership to get and now I have to take a 3rd grade civics class every year.

Haven't seen that one yet. I am scheduled for an 8 hour resiliency class though.

Am I the only one who wants to commit suicide as a result of resiliency training? I mean, nothing says 'don't kill yourself' like a day dedicated to it that really just results in getting to stay late® than normal in order to get/stay caught up since I can't spend that day doing my normal job.

Why Microsoft Dumped "Stack-Ranking"

The sometimes loathed employee-review system has been a fixture of Microsoft for years. Lately, critics said the system — under which managers were forced to rank employees along a “bell curve” — has made Microsoft a more cutthroat and political place to work. The critics said the biggest bonuses were doled out to workers who learned to game the system in their favor when employee review time rolled out.

The USAF, on the other hand, has a ratings system in which everyone, in every rating period, single-handedly won the GWOT.

Everyone is a winner, some people are just bigger winners then their peers....

Ran into a guy I knew from a previous assignment at an airline job fair. I told him I got out and I'm in AFRC enjoying life. He stayed in, made O-5 and got sent back to the base we had both been at 7-8 years ago. He's got about 12-18 months left till retirement, wasn't on the command list, so he's just waiting for his 20. Others we knew are also back at that base, but on the Fast Track.

He told me he did a 6 month deployment to the Deid...one of those "why am I here" jobs with no point...but he was an available body, so he got tagged. He got home, and six months later (just a week or so before the job fair) he's informed that they are deploying him to that SAME JOB again, for another 6 months.

He pleads with the O-6 to find someone else...he just did that deployment, and he's about to separate and is afraid deploying so close to his retirement will hurt his ability to find post-AF work. O-6 says sorry, but the other O-5s are fast burners and he can't spare them...to do so might inconvenience their rapid upward mobility. Never mind that some of them haven't deployed at all in 6-7 years.

I feel bad for him, but that's one reason why I got out. After doing a 365 in Iraq, I asked to go to the AETC squadron to have some time with family. Less than 18 months later, I was deploying on a 182-day tasking, even though there were several others who could deploy, and had not deployed in several years...but again, they were Golden Boys that the leadership didn't want to inconvenience with a deployment, so let's send the career flyer to the desert again even though he just got back from a 365.

When I protested that, I was told that since I volunteered for the 365, I "did it to myself". That was straight from the O-6. My counterpart hadn't deployed in 4 years but they refused to send him because he was an alternate for the Phoenix Mobility program.

So while I was deployed, I applied for Palace Chase and GTFO of the RegAF. Been happy ever since. Oh, and despite being the chief of flight safety with an excellent record (did great on the UCI, built several programs from the ground up, etc), the O-6 downgraded my separation medal from a MSM to a AFCM. My boss fought it until she PCS'd (I had already separated) but as soon as she was gone, they downgraded it and finalized it. I'm the only O-4 who PCS'd/separated from my wing without a MSM. I know pretty much for a fact it was downgraded out of spite because I punched from the AF. I wasn't "blue" enough, apparently.

Treating people this way is another reason why the AF will be pressed to retain people once the job market gets going again.

• Upvote 4

Ran into a guy I knew from a previous assignment at an airline job fair. I told him I got out and I'm in AFRC enjoying life. He stayed in, made O-5 and got sent back to the base we had both been at 7-8 years ago. He's got about 12-18 months left till retirement, wasn't on the command list, so he's just waiting for his 20. Others we knew are also back at that base, but on the Fast Track.

He told me he did a 6 month deployment to the Deid...one of those "why am I here" jobs with no point...but he was an available body, so he got tagged. He got home, and six months later (just a week or so before the job fair) he's informed that they are deploying him to that SAME JOB again, for another 6 months.

He pleads with the O-6 to find someone else...he just did that deployment, and he's about to separate and is afraid deploying so close to his retirement will hurt his ability to find post-AF work. O-6 says sorry, but the other O-5s are fast burners and he can't spare them...to do so might inconvenience their rapid upward mobility. Never mind that some of them haven't deployed at all in 6-7 years.

I feel bad for him, but that's one reason why I got out. After doing a 365 in Iraq, I asked to go to the AETC squadron to have some time with family. Less than 18 months later, I was deploying on a 182-day tasking, even though there were several others who could deploy, and had not deployed in several years...but again, they were Golden Boys that the leadership didn't want to inconvenience with a deployment, so let's send the career flyer to the desert again even though he just got back from a 365.

When I protested that, I was told that since I volunteered for the 365, I "did it to myself". That was straight from the O-6. My counterpart hadn't deployed in 4 years but they refused to send him because he was an alternate for the Phoenix Mobility program.

So while I was deployed, I applied for Palace Chase and GTFO of the RegAF. Been happy ever since. Oh, and despite being the chief of flight safety with an excellent record (did great on the UCI, built several programs from the ground up, etc), the O-6 downgraded my separation medal from a MSM to a AFCM. My boss fought it until she PCS'd (I had already separated) but as soon as she was gone, they downgraded it and finalized it. I'm the only O-4 who PCS'd/separated from my wing without a MSM. I know pretty much for a fact it was downgraded out of spite because I punched from the AF. I wasn't "blue" enough, apparently.

Treating people this way is another reason why the AF will be pressed to retain people once the job market gets going again.

What a bunch of cocksuckers eh? This is the shit why I'm so glad I never went Active Duty. I've seen it done to my AD peers, and I know I wouldn't have lasted 6-9 years in RegAF. All those bullshit non-AFSC REMF-laden deployments would have cured me from serving. And just like in your experience, I've seen it happen on the AETC side, which was supposed to be the spool-down make-bang-bang with the wife/girlfriend time for these folks. Now it's the god damn 'transpo pool' for miscellaneous 179s to nowhere. Fuck that.

I tell those guys all the time, for the opportunity cost of losing 15 years (on average) of an annuity payout, you can skip over to the reserves and/or civil service and recoup the time served benefit at 60, and gain an incredible improvement in quality of life while focusing on the motivation that made you join in the first place: FLY. Anytime I'm feeling scoffed by AD-Lite shenanigans in the AFRC I mosey over to this thread and fast-cage back to wings level.

• Upvote 1

So while I was deployed, I applied for Palace Chase and GTFO of the RegAF. Been happy ever since. .

Well at least you finally saw the light and crossed over from the dark side. Question - is it a big deal to get an AFCM instead of the MSM while on active duty? It seems like most Reserve guys in my squadron not only don't know what these medals are and what their pecking order is, but they also don't give a shit. While doing A&D, I would try to give away AFCMs and MSMs like candy, and half of the time the members were oblivious to what they even were. Unless they were coming up for their majors or LtCol board, then they needed a "current" medal in the past year or so - those are the only two times a medal matters. We just seem to have much more important things to worry about in the Guard and Reserve, like how many double pay days we could log and how much we were going to berate out active duty counterparts for stupid shit like "leave coordination" paperwork as we all were walking out the door for an undetermined amount of "leave."

MAF vs CAF evaluator mindset, IMHO:

It seems that in AMC (and former AMC dudes), the pinnacle is to be a higher up in Stan/Eval. In the CAF, the pinnacle is to be a Patch. I think that's why there's such a difference. In AMC, you have to flex nuts in order to show you can be a badass evaluator that will hook people without any qualms. CAF bros treat checkrides as an annoyance and something that we have to do between training for the actual mission. Hence, very few Q-3's that will slow down the training with the requisite requals and all that cheese.

Just catching up with some old posts on this thread, but these lines very accurately describe my AMC community from what I have seen. For the most part, we relentlessly make fun of "WIC-ens" as freaks or overachievers who get little or no respect, while Evaluators seem to be more god-like and the pinnacle for a career.

An old wise evaluator once told me that the power to Q3 as an evaluator is like an axe that you should bury in the back yard in some odd place where you have to write down the directions for how to find the axe again. This way if you ever need it, you not only have to find and read the directions, but you have to work hard to dig it up and use it. He's the best EP I have ever known in my decade plus in the AF. Then there are the other countless douche EPs out there who walk up and down the hallway with their axe swinging from their arms, and walk into every daily flight by tapping on the briefing room door with their axe, like a jailhouse guard rattles his billy club on the metal bars of each cell block. I have even heard countless doucher EPs jokingly (sort of) say about how they would Q3 guys if they didn't allow them to fly a leg or didn't stay in such and such's favorite hotel on a TDY. IMO, one shouldn't even joke about using the axe like that.

But that is definitely the mindset of the EP and Q3 in my neck of the woods.

• Upvote 1

But that is definitely the mindset of the EP and Q3 in my neck of the woods.

180 out from the CAF. Are good dudes just never given the chance to be EPs? It's mind blowing that apparently 90% of MAF EPs are some of the biggest cocksuckers walking around with wings.