What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Reminds me of doing FTAC and not being able to wear my flight suit, but secfo were allowed to wear their berets. Cant wear the flight suit because it makes people feel left out. Cant wear the flight suit because everyone else has to wear ABU's, but secfo can wear their berets because they earned it. I thought wearing your leather jacket with blues was normal to cover up the lack of effort to keep ribbons up to date and the potentially missing name tag.

7 minutes ago, Yaweh said:

I thought wearing your leather jacket with blues was normal to cover up the lack of effort to keep ribbons up to date.....

🤔 When did officers (pilots, to be more accurate) started wearing ribbons on their blues?

Edited by JeremiahWeed

4 minutes ago, JeremiahWeed said:

🤔 When did officers (pilots, to be more accurate) started wearing ribbons on their blues?

That was an example during my Enlisted Aircrew days. Mostly a holdover because I never took them off the shirt. 

8 hours ago, Yaweh said:

Reminds me of doing FTAC and not being able to wear my flight suit, but secfo were allowed to wear their berets. Cant wear the flight suit because it makes people feel left out. Cant wear the flight suit because everyone else has to wear ABU's, but secfo can wear their berets because they earned it. I thought wearing your leather jacket with blues was normal to cover up the lack of effort to keep ribbons up to date and the potentially missing name tag.

SecFo “earned” their berets? If having the lowest ASVAB score amongst all AFSCs and checking ID cards makes you think you are badass then it’s no wonder other services make fun of us.  There are grunts our there who do god’s most dangerous work and have legitimately earned those berets.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, dream big said:

SecFo...

...Side bar...

Standing at the ops desk last month with a fellow pilot...he has 20+ years and I'm at 17+ (both prior-E) and neither of us had a fucking clue what the ARMS A1C was talking about when mentioned calling SecFo.   Makes sense now, but that was the first time we've heard that term.  We're both life long guard guys, so maybe we're just sheltered.  

...Back to your regularly scheduled programing...

What's wrong with the AF/ARC, is that they talk like they have a crisis on their hands but they won't, or are way to slow to, institute logical changes.  On the ANG side, we also get to fight "optics issues" wrt to solving this manning problem.  Anyway, do we have a fucking crisis or do we not?  If I were a tin-foil hat guy, I would almost think they're purposely dragging their feet to justify stop loss.

• Like 3

Just a young and dumb guy's thoughts but it seems like the AF deals with a lot of paralysis thru analysis and a lack of people willing to pull the trigger and accept the consequences, either good or bad, on solutions, i.e. we know we have a problem but we need to do 69 surveys on it and once we dream up a solution no one is willing to sign off on it as they're afraid of the consequences.  

Edited by YoungnDumb
grammar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, YoungnDumb said:

Just a young and dumb guy's thoughts but it seems like the AF deals with a lot of paralysis thru analysis and a lack of people willing to pull the trigger and accept the consequences, either good or bad, on solutions, i.e. we know we have a problem but we need to do 69 surveys on it and once we dream up a solution no one is willing to sign off on it as they're afraid of the consequences.  

Part and parcel with one of the cancers that has been growing in AF leadership over the last 10-15 years: nobody wants to make a decision, lest their superior disagree with that decision and it reflect poorly on them.

So, we have raised an entire generation of "leaders" (really "managers") who have to "run it up the chain" for absolutely every decision.

And this attitude is reflected, now, by the superiors themselves, who expect this kind of "mother, may I" out of their subordinates.

The grand result is that nobody is really empowered to make any decision, and few commanders have the balls to just make a decision <gasp> and risk their bosses not liking it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

I had my sit down with the GP/CC. Oh my f.... goodness. He just hates pilots and flight suits. "Flyers are treated differently and I want to promote "One Team, One Fight." Then the "Noner" word came out..LMAO.

I countered with every airman is important to execution of the mission even if they don't deal directly with aircraft. In hostile environments, we ALL work together to defend the base no matter the uniform we wear. We sleep in the same accommodations, eat the same food, and return dirty to our dirty b-huts and CHUs. 

I honestly felt as though he was slightly intimidated by me. I left it at that and told him I would be a good follower, no doubt. I'm sorry BODN, but I had to say something right before my PRF is due.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

I had my sit down with the GP/CC. Oh my f.... goodness. He just hates pilots and flight suits. "Flyers are treated differently and I want to promote "One Team, One Fight." Then the "Noner" word came out..LMAO.
I countered with every airman is important to execution of the mission even if they don't deal directly with aircraft. In hostile environments, we ALL work together to defend the base no matter the uniform we wear. We sleep in the same accommodations, eat the same food, and return dirty to our dirty b-huts and CHUs. 
I honestly felt as though he was slightly intimidated by me. I left it at that and told him I would be a good follower, no doubt. I'm sorry BODN, but I had to say something right before my PRF is due.

Out of curiosity, what’s his background?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

In response to your commander, I would have emphasized that pilots are a part of that one team, and that support agencies also need occasional reminder they’re part of a greater mission. Sometimes that reminder is in the form of visual presence of an aviator.

There’s a reason we consciously decide to put aviators in some support positions: the organizations have typically lost the bubble on what they’re actually there for. I’ve seen a few anecdotes where some agencies thought aircraft existed on the installation to support them, not the other way around.

18 hours ago, war007afa said:

In response to your commander, I would have emphasized that pilots are a part of that one team, and that support agencies also need occasional reminder they’re part of a greater mission. Sometimes that reminder is in the form of visual presence of an aviator.

There’s a reason we consciously decide to put aviators in some support positions: the organizations have typically lost the bubble on what they’re actually there for. I’ve seen a few anecdotes where some agencies thought aircraft existed on the installation to support them, not the other way around.

Need more of you in Cyber. 

Started my folks doing "Threat of the Week" briefs and it was like a Holy Crusade against their no-work-Fridays.

I've got maybe...4 people that really understand what Ops means/feels like.  All prior aircrew or Mx.

33 minutes ago, Guardian said:

I think we should have no fly (I mean work) Monday’s or fridays in ops and mx. See how the rest of the Air Force likes that.

They would be thrilled because Transpo wouldn't have to drive crews to the flight line and MDG wouldn't need a flight doc on standby

16 hours ago, Guardian said:

They don’t realize or take stock that their very jobs depend on the flight happening.

Their jobs rely on the flight happening EVENTUALLY.  Don't kid yourself that a single down day will have anything but a positive effect on the morale of the support units.

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/11/20/muslim-airman-granted-air-forces-first-beard-waiver/

I want a beard because I hate shaving. Otherwise, this is unfair. If my peers are promoted because I didn't do ACSC, that's not fair either. Sarcasm rant off...

Before I PCS'd, I no kidding had a Capt tell me his schedule was unfair and he threatened to go to the IG on the CC. Talking about unfreaking believable.

I remember some dudes in BMT who faces looked liked chopped liver due to shaving. Of course they received shaving waivers, but they weren't rocking beards like our boys in special forces though.

6F6D7965-747D-4C50-AE88-3CA4EDD53E84.jpeg

• Upvote 1