What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

On 8/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, SurelySerious said:

What ing self respecting 14N doesn’t know the difference between an F-16 and a SU-27? Can we fire people? WTAF

As a prior 14N once upon a time, my instinctive response is point out the poster's final words and say "Lts are best seen and not heard". But I'd be lying if I didn't say that career field, like most others in the AF, has placed the rockstar holiday party or morale day coordinator well above the dude/dudette who can actually do their damned job. I know I'm preaching to the choir. But I'd wager that Lt has spent more time calculating when he/she will be due for PME, 0-4 board, etc. than he/she has spent in the 3-1 or on JWICS reading products that have to do with their current job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 8/17/2020 at 4:55 PM, Scooter14 said:

Uh, Prosuper, I uh, talked to the pilot.

He was smoking, he was coughing, he didn’t smell very good and he was wearing a tight blue flight suit. He didn’t speak much English but I think he said they would be leaving on time.

The airfield manager (Flugplatzmeister) made me park a uke in front of IL-76 once to prevent them from leaving and sleep it off, they were 3 sheets to the wind when they landed and making slurred transmissions to ATC and would not follow the marshallers.  Their jets always smelt like sweat,vodka and feet. 

Edited by Prosuper
content
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, BashiChuni said:

i wasn't around when it happened but when the air force went "corporate" in the early 90s...man i feel like that really started the down spiral in terms of PC leadership.

My view in the rearview mirror says that it really took a no-shit turn for the worse right around 9/11.

• Like 1

Their jets always smelt like sweat,vodka and feet. 

We parked next to one at Bagram on an AE. We were waiting for our patients so one of the other pilots and I strolled over to the IL-76. The loadmaster was smoking and coughing in the back, smiled and waved us aboard and we got a quick tour.

It did not smell good, and we had just been in a KC-135 for 7 hours.

2 minutes ago, Scooter14 said:

We parked next to one at Bagram on an AE. We were waiting for our patients so one of the other pilots and I strolled over to the IL-76. The loadmaster was smoking and coughing in the back, smiled and waved us aboard and we got a quick tour.

They might have been a bunch of Cowboys but you got to hand it to them as being good pilots with big brass balls, they would fly at any time in any condition and they got treated like crap by their own companies, probably why they drank like fish, flew with them once to Dubai to start my vacation, just put Vicks vapor rub under your nose. Pilot said you look smart you fly jet, wake me up in 3 hours. Arrived alive, they went to a whore house which I was invited and I had a Emirates connection. Great airline to fly on, beats the crap out of AA.

• Like 3

Being on an IL-76 is gross. Although the Garmin strapped to the nav desk downstairs is funny. And the only non-Cyrillic I found was on the weather radar scope.

Now the A-225? Pristine inside unless you go back into the tail (not my photo) where they all smoke and it stinks just like an IL-76. Sweat, smoke, jet fuel, and a few other probably toxic things thrown in the smell mix.

IMG_7661.JPG

On 8/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, Homestar said:

I think you get a pass on being a jerk if your name is Patton or LeMay. Some random space wing CC has no reason to be a doosh. 

Unless she’s an operator who comes in and kicks over chairs, cleans up the joint and deals with the entrenched cadre who’ve “always done things this way...”  In that case, all the clerks get their undies in a bunch and the IGs get called. (Seen it firsthand)

Can not confirm on this case, just being devils advocate. 

Given her circumstantial (in the report) connection to a suicide though, I doubt she stays in our AF much past her current assignment. 

Chuck

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

Unless she’s an operator who comes in and kicks over chairs, cleans up the joint and deals with the entrenched cadre who’ve “always done things this way...”  In that case, all the clerks get their undies in a bunch and the IGs get called. (Seen it firsthand)

Given her circumstantial (in the report) connection to a suicide though, I doubt she stays in our AF much past her current assignment. 

Chuck

Maybe...but generally you can kick over chairs and clean up the joint without creating the "most toxic environment in 20 years".

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Chuck17 said:

I can't personally say one way or the other but a few friends have posted comments on this article.  None of them had anything good to say about working for her.  Mix of fighters/tanker pilots who've work for/with here at various times.  There seems to be no love lost...

15 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

You’re also just an idiot if you have been around airplanes and can’t look at a CRJ and an ERJ and know one from the other. 

shouldn't you be meowing on 121.5? 😆

It’s irrelevant as to whether the Russian/Chinese FLANKERS are on an American military unit emblem because of a mistake or because or regulation. What matters is that it makes you look stooopid.

Surely it’s someone’s job in the Air Force to give a shit about that, even if it does mean having to know your arse from your elbow?

Edited by Steve Davies
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Steve Davies said:

It’s irrelevant as to whether the Russian/Chinese FLANKERS are on an American military unit emblem because of a mistake or because or regulation. What matters is that it makes you look stooopid.

Surely it’s someone’s job in the Air Force to give a shit about that, even if it does mean having to know your arse from your elbow?

What is amazing is that, in an Air Force that is massively overly concerned with "how things look", on this one they're mostly concerned with trying desperately to gaslight the people who have identified that there is a problem into thinking that *they* are the problem.

The AF can't even get their own dysfunctional leadership processes and priorities executed well.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

WEFT

There are obvious visual differences between those airplanes.

They both look insolvent to me. Although one taxis too slow and the other is constantly fucking up the radios.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Prosuper said:

The airfield manager (Flugplatzmeister) made me park a uke in front of IL-76 once to prevent them from leaving and sleep it off, they were 3 sheets to the wind when they landed and making slurred transmissions to ATC and would not follow the marshallers.  Their jets always smelt like sweat,vodka and feet. 

my friend was TA at Balad and said those dudes just wheeled a main tire over to his truck and give him some cash and a thumbs up and left it over him screaming at them to come back.

• Like 1