What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Were all those 100 waivered IPs performing at a below level standard? Seems like a new-guy showed up and wants to get a handle on the process, but just wondering if it really needs to be “fixed”...

Edited by jrizzell
Grammar

That’s actually pretty awesome, in my opinion. Disagree with the action, but at least he’s got the balls to get out there and defend it.

What exactly do you disagree with?
As a prior UPT guy the quality of product from AMC was pretty bad over the last year. I had one guy roll in and his indoc took 5x the average. As a qualified pilot he circled to the wrong runway. Multiple times he tried to get his TI IP violated because he didn’t know what he was doing.
A second guy at the same time, showed up with 3 Q-3s on his record. Ironically, he should have been given one at PIT as they wrote on the form 8 his deviations, which exceeded Q-2 standards for BAC. Still was a Q-1 overall.

Both guys received waivers to go to PIT. I know both of them had multiple issues when they finally hit the line including breaking aircraft.

I think a better look at the waivers and process will help cut some of that out AND make it easier for PIT to give the UPT bases a better quality product. In turn, we have better instructors to create a better product for the FTUs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bode said:

As a prior UPT guy the quality of product from AMC was pretty bad over the last year. I had one guy roll in and his indoc took 5x the average. As a qualified pilot he circled to the wrong runway. Multiple times he tried to get his TI IP violated because he didn’t know what he was doing.
A second guy at the same time, showed up with 3 Q-3s on his record. Ironically, he should have been given one at PIT as they wrote on the form 8 his deviations, which exceeded Q-2 standards for BAC. Still was a Q-1 overall.

Both guys received waivers to go to PIT. I know both of them had multiple issues when they finally hit the line including breaking aircraft.

I think a better look at the waivers and process will help cut some of that out AND make it easier for PIT to give the UPT bases a better quality product. In turn, we have better instructors to create a better product for the FTUs.

I disagree with the blanket denial of guys that aren’t 11F or 11B to teach T-38’s at UPT. I agree with the action of not auto approving waivers for shitty pilots (that it sounds like you ran into). I’ll admit, I didn’t know that was the situation with new IP’s coming to 38’s. From where I’m at, the guys my community (or I should at least say my former squadron, can’t speak for everyone) were 11S straight out of UPT and are fantastic aviators. There’s a guy now in the PIT pipeline for T-38’s that got sent to T-6’s even though he won every award at UPT and was the #1 grad. He chose U-28’s. That sort of thing is where my frustration comes from. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bode said:

👆This. Not an isolated experience. 

Edit: I think we as an Air Force started speeding with good intentions of alleviating the pilot shortage. Fortunately I actually feel like some of the trends are being reversed at the lower levels because the IPs are being heard  

1EA7EDDF-E5AD-4AA1-9DEC-49D01C1489FC.jpeg

Edited by zachbar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Part of the problem is a lot of communities don't send their best and brightest to UPT must-fills, and commanders have leaned on auto approval of waivers to push a guy that needed more development over his golden children he wanted to keep around. But who can blame commanders for this when AETC notoriously does a poor job of taking care of some folks from other communities. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Part of the problem is a lot of communities don't send their best and brightest to UPT must-fills, and commanders have leaned on auto approval of waivers to push a guy that needed more development over his golden children he wanted to keep around. But who can blame commanders for this when AETC notoriously does a poor job of taking care of some folks from other communities. 

Part of it too is that the Air Force doesn’t value white jet IP experience, but it should. I was an AMC IP before I got to UPT, and being an IP here is way more demanding. I think the consequences of failure are higher and more immediate in AMC (more expensive plane with more people on it, cargo doesn’t get delivered), but the chance of something going wrong is more likely when the enemy is sitting in the front cockpit every time you go fly. I’ll put it this way, I was more certain of making it home every night in AMC than I am now. 

1 hour ago, Bode said:

A second guy at the same time, showed up with 3 Q-3s on his record. 

What’s been the ratio of non 11F/B that have sucked as bad as your examples compared to those that have done fine or needed just a little extra with Tac form/other 38 specific things? 

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

Part of the problem is a lot of communities don't send their best and brightest to UPT must-fills, 

This isn’t an AF specific problem. The Navy looks down, long term promotion/career wise, on the guys who teach primary/advanced (UPT).

It creates the ultimate boot-loop; send lower quality guys to teach, teaching new kids to fly is looked down as a second tier job, so the instructors ultimately promote at a much lower rate. Commanders end up sending their lower quality guys because they probably won’t promote. Repeat.

At the end of the day, the harsh truth is quality suffers, even if the dudes teaching are good dudes.

The biggest heartache is the dudes that are good and want to go teach and do a helluva job at it, but get caught in mix. 

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

There’s a guy now in the PIT pipeline for T-38’s that got sent to T-6’s even though he won every award at UPT and was the #1 grad. He chose U-28’s. That sort of thing is where my frustration comes from. 

a bro intervened on his behalf, and said dude had a face to face with gen wills (who had his FEF), interviewed w/ the general, and was re-instated to t-38 PIT.

i'm impressed. 

met the general in a bar a few months ago and he was GREAT. there is hope...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wills was the DLF WG/CC back in 2008ish (years run together since I was there for 5).  He seemed like a good dude then and it's good to see he's trying to make it right.  I don't necessarily have an issue with his policy, I have a problem with the execution.  If this is the new norm, however, where will these extra 11F/Bs come from to fill the cockpits?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLEA said:

AETC wants it's cake and to eat it too. We (C-17s) have just enough experienced IPs to keep our crew force current and in a acceptably proficient state to meet current deployment requirements. We can't give up 4-6 experienced ACs/IPs every PCS cycle to fill AETC's insane must fill bill. It is a vicious cycle but when there are real world users that need support day in and day out, AETC is going to get the people we can do without.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Like 1

What’s been the ratio of non 11F/B that have sucked as bad as your examples compared to those that have done fine or needed just a little extra with Tac form/other 38 specific things? 

Honestly it’s about 80/20, with the heavier side being guys who need additional training out of PIT. I believe that ratio will flip as PIT is being forced to bring their training requirements back up. The OBOGS stand down really hurt the T6 IP force as guys showed up having never flown ET3, were not proficient in close form to the point I wouldn’t want them on my wing in the WX. Prior to the summer of ‘17 the product and pilot performance was pretty solid. I can’t speak too much about what transpired between the spring of ‘17 and summer of ‘18 unless you want to talk about the ignorance of the SAF/IA office thinking UH-60s can replace Mi-17s and AC-208s being an effective asset in Afghanistan.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

AETC wants it's cake and to eat it too. We (C-17s) have just enough experienced IPs to keep our crew force current and in a acceptably proficient state to meet current deployment requirements. We can't give up 4-6 experienced ACs/IPs every PCS cycle to fill AETC's insane must fill bill. It is a vicious cycle but when there are real world users that need support day in and day out, AETC is going to get the people we can do without.

Real question and not sarcasm, but didn’t the C-17 community shed a ton of pilots to UPT a few years ago right after upgrading them to AC? Was that because of squadrons closing down?

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

The problem is cyclicle. You need UPT IPs to make MWS pilots. You need MWS pilots to make MWS ACs. You need MWS ACs to make UPT IPs. You don't fix one area without fixing all of it. 

Wait...I thought we fixed the pilot problem. 

Real question and not sarcasm, but didn’t the C-17 community shed a ton of pilots to UPT a few years ago right after upgrading them to AC? Was that because of squadrons closing down?
Yeah, combination of closing squadrons and adjusting the crew ratio down and boom, C-17 is over manned and can send a bunch of people to UPT. However, the airlift requirement didn't go down, so it got busier in the C-17 community.

10 hours ago, Bode said:

That doesn't sound like a problem with AMC pilots in general.  That sounds like someone flicked a booger onto UPT.

Do you think an F-16 guy with 3 Q-3s on his record would have done better at PIT?  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Wait...I thought we fixed the pilot problem. 

Leveled off from our max rate emergency descent... but the stud hasn’t pushed power back up from idle yet so someone is going to have to take the controls soon. Rapidly losing flying airspeed. Add bonus. I mean, power.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zachbar said:

Part of it too is that the Air Force doesn’t value white jet IP experience, but it should. I was an AMC IP before I got to UPT, and being an IP here is way more demanding. I think the consequences of failure are higher and more immediate in AMC (more expensive plane with more people on it, cargo doesn’t get delivered), but the chance of something going wrong is more likely when the enemy is sitting in the front cockpit every time you go fly. I’ll put it this way, I was more certain of making it home every night in AMC than I am now. 

Didn’t the AF just say something about how White jet is going to be highly valued now and a virtual requirement for higher leadership?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

They said that they want to value teaching at ROTC and USAFA much higher and for it to look favorably on records. We’ll see how that plays out. 

I personally believe the AF will always value the academia/desk jockey/duty title/awards crap over being a skilled aviator/instructor. Why? Because it puts rated folks on the same playing field with the shoes. We’ll see if these new split career field promotion boards have an impact on that or not. One thing you can bet on though is that the AF will never quit implementing these social experiments they like to conduct. 

As a former PIT IP, who actually volunteered for AETC even though my Commander was saying it was a career killer, I understand the elimination of blanket waivers. Sometime back in 2015-2016ish timeframe I saw a huge uptick in “waiver guys” coming through and it was a huge problem. My issue though was the guys that were RPA, MWS CoPilot, then AC upgrade enroute (if at all) to UPT IP. Talk about a recipe for disaster. These guys were coming in as senior Captain/Majors and had never signed for a manned aircraft before. Depending on attitude they struggled through PIT and then had multiple issues on the line. One guy was so stressed that he started drinking his problems away and even started showing up for work drunk/hungover.

So while I get them trying to fix it, you don’t do that to people who have already PCS’d bought a house, etc., all under the name of eliminating “blanket waivers”.

We used to say “People Always” or some stupid catchphrase like that. It’s become apparent that the AF organization really doesn’t give a $hit about the “people”. And while an organization can’t “care” about people, it reflects the vision and intent of the people who are in charge/making decisions and policies.

I’m so sorry for all those affected by decades of poor management and absentee leadership.

When you get tired of the race, hit me up and hopefully I can help you find a truly better life for you and your families.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

That doesn't sound like a problem with AMC pilots in general.  That sounds like someone flicked a booger onto UPT.

Do you think an F-16 guy with 3 Q-3s on his record would have done better at PIT?  

He definitely would have more of a single seat mentality. The larger point is the waiver required. This guy didn’t have the airmanship he needed. He admitted to me his AC upgrade was basically done so he could PCS, not because he was ready.

Just now, Bode said:

He definitely would have more of a single seat mentality. The larger point is the waiver required. This guy didn’t have the airmanship he needed. He admitted to me his AC upgrade was basically done so he could PCS, not because he was ready.

I'm all for doing a quality control check of UPT IPs.  But that is a different issue than what MWS someone is coming from.  Rushing a copilot through AC upgrade to PCS them isn't good, but that doesn't mean the guy with 2000 PIC hours wouldn't make a competent IP.  

I think we've placed too much emphasis on what planes people flew, and not enough emphasis on how well they flew them.

• Upvote 9