What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

9 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Don't we gripe against big blue's corporate fitness policy of focusing on appearance instead of performance?

And now we want body shame and speculate on some random person based on a picture? 

Maximum waist measurement for females is 35.5 inches. Maybe she has the 35.5 Bravo like the Guard has.

Not shaming cause I really don’t care, just wanted panchbarnes to remain in his/her/them/em/per/ver/xem/hir/(f)aer’s safespace. 

• Like 1

No one is body shaming. From what I am reading people are calling out people for what appears to be inability to meet professional required standards. And possibly because of being a woman some automatically get offended. Everyone wants equal treatment. We call out men who seem to be exceeding standards. Well even though the physical standards aren’t equal, when someone calls out someone else it isn’t body shaming or anti feminism. People who say it’s body shaming don’t understand there is such a thing as objective truth. Or don’t want there the be objective truth. Bottom line, said individual doesn’t look to be in professional standards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

No one is body shaming. From what I am reading people are calling out people for what appears to be inability to meet professional required standards. And possibly because of being a woman some automatically get offended. Everyone wants equal treatment. We call out men who seem to be exceeding standards. Well even though the physical standards aren’t equal, when someone calls out someone else it isn’t body shaming or anti feminism. People who say it’s body shaming don’t understand there is such a thing as objective truth. Or don’t want there the be objective truth. Bottom line, said individual doesn’t look to be in professional standards.

Further, I can believe the fitness standards are dumb, while at the same time being livid that this person can take command while being so wildly out of standards.  Big Blue has told us that PT tests are important.  I've seen people denied PCS medals over a failed PT test four years ago.  I've seen people denied the ability to apply for WIC over a failed PT test seven years in the past.  And then we put someone who can't put a PT test in charge.

I don't know, maybe it's my own salt coming out that I never did anything wrong, never failed a PT test, did all the PME, etc...and this person who has either failed, or will fail, their next PT test is fit to be a commander, while the Air Force is telling me I'm in the bottom 25% of my year group by passing me over for promotion.  I'd bet my next bonus installment that she makes Lt Col out of this command slot.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Further, I can believe the fitness standards are dumb, while at the same time being livid that this person can take command while being so wildly out of standards.  Big Blue has told us that PT tests are important.  I've seen people denied PCS medals over a failed PT test four years ago.  I've seen people denied the ability to apply for WIC over a failed PT test seven years in the past.  And then we put someone who can't put a PT test in charge.

I don't know, maybe it's my own salt coming out that I never did anything wrong, never failed a PT test, did all the PME, etc...and this person who has either failed, or will fail, their next PT test is fit to be a commander, while the Air Force is telling me I'm in the bottom 25% of my year group by passing me over for promotion.  I'd bet my next bonus installment that she makes Lt Col out of this command slot.

Exactly.  I bet she looks good on paper though, multiple volunteer of the year wins, with getting lucky squeaking by with a 76 every time so no one bats an eye.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

Then go be a mx Officer. All you have to do is not quit to command. Higher risk reward in the flying world, but at the end of the day you get to go crew planes and put warheads on foreheads. Do you really want to go back in time to commissioning and choose a non aircrew path to command? 

Not doing anything wrong does not a good commander make either. It just means you took care of what you can control, but it doesn’t mean you’d make a good commander. Not that you wouldn’t but one doesn’t necessarily equal the other.

1 hour ago, MCO said:

Then go be a mx Officer. All you have to do is not quit to command. Higher risk reward in the flying world, but at the end of the day you get to go crew planes and put warheads on foreheads. Do you really want to go back in time to commissioning and choose a non aircrew path to command? 

Not doing anything wrong does not a good commander make either. It just means you took care of what you can control, but it doesn’t mean you’d make a good commander. Not that you wouldn’t but one doesn’t necessarily equal the other.

I tried to be a finance officer, but I couldn't get released from my career field.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guardian said:

No one is body shaming. From what I am reading people are calling out people for what appears to be inability to meet professional required standards.

You must have missed the now-deleted comments about eating babies.

13 hours ago, Guardian said:

I have maxed the waist measurement points and scored mid-high 90s (with a few 100s sprinkled in) on every fitness test I’ve taken since 2008.

But if you get a pic me from the wrong angle - namely this on-stage side-angle/face-forward pose, I could easily end up the laughing stock of the Air Force amn/nco/snco page as the fatty mcfatface officer who should have been kicked out years ago.

My point: these uniforms do not mix well with certain profile shots.

zb

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Seriously? To command or why?

Exactly why.  I knew I wasn't going to be a squadron commander within my own community, and they dangled squadron command of a CPTS out there to "all AFSCs" who applied for retraining.  I figured I'd do the training, do a two-year stint as a CPTS/CC, then come back to the cockpit.  But I was "too valuable" as an instructor to get released from my career field.  Timing strikes again...we just cut four other IWSOs loose from Dyess for various things like the Multi-Domain Warfare thing and going to Pensacola to instruct...so now we're short manned again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have maxed the waist measurement points and scored mid-high 90s (with a few 100s sprinkled in) on every fitness test I’ve taken since 2008.
But if you get a pic me from the wrong angle - namely this on-stage side-angle/face-forward pose, I could easily end up the laughing stock of the Air Force amn/nco/snco page as the fatty mcfatface officer who should have been kicked out years ago.
My point: these uniforms do not mix well with certain profile shots.
zb

If you trimmed up would you look more professional and portray a better image of those you affect in your military capacity?
  • Confused 2

From a friends FB post - "I just want to fly airplanes. Why do they make that so fucking hard?"

Long story short, my buddy flys Hercs. Was selected to be a T-38 IP at Sheppard.  He went through ENJJPT during the "drones are as good as fighters" days.  Didn't do as well as he'd liked, but got to fly.  He's one of the best men I know.

Enrolled kids in new school, wife got a new job she'd always wanted, put down money on a house they were going to close on this week.  Then of course the USAF made a brilliant decision to NOT have him PCS 6 days before he was to close on that house.

I'll let him say why -

"So how do I explain what happened without violating Article 89 of the UCMJ? Last week, a… person… made a blanket decision to reject and/or revoke all waivers for T-38 pilots going to PIT. I required a waiver to become a T-38 instructor pilot. This was not because I didn’t have enough flight hours or an excessive number of Q-2 or Q-3s, but because following pilot training I hadn’t flown a fighter or a bomber. I flew the Herc, and that meant that I wasn’t as qualified to fly the T-38 as, say, a brand new fucking FAIP with 1/20th the flight hours and a decade less experience. But it's not just me, it's everyone. Blanket rejection and revocation of all waivers. None of it makes fucking sense to me."

Pilot crisis is solved folks.  Guess the airlines are done hiring.

• Like 3

From a friends FB post - "I just want to fly airplanes. Why do they make that so ing hard?"
Long story short, my buddy flys Hercs. Was selected to be a T-38 IP at Sheppard.  He went through ENJJPT during the "drones are as good as fighters" days.  Didn't do as well as he'd liked, but got to fly.  He's one of the best men I know.

Enrolled kids in new school, wife got a new job she'd always wanted, put down money on a house they were going to close on this week.  Then of course the USAF made a brilliant decision to NOT have him PCS 6 days before he was to close on that house.
I'll let him say why -

"So how do I explain what happened without violating Article 89 of the UCMJ? Last week, a… person… made a blanket decision to reject and/or revoke all waivers for T-38 pilots going to PIT. I required a waiver to become a T-38 instructor pilot. This was not because I didn’t have enough flight hours or an excessive number of Q-2 or Q-3s, but because following pilot training I hadn’t flown a fighter or a bomber. I flew the Herc, and that meant that I wasn’t as qualified to fly the T-38 as, say, a brand new ing FAIP with 1/20th the flight hours and a decade less experience. But it's not just me, it's everyone. Blanket rejection and revocation of all waivers. None of it makes ing sense to me."
Pilot crisis is solved folks.  Guess the airlines are done hiring.

Talked to one of my fighter buddies out at Sheppard in the T-38 world. According to him, the T-38 PIT standard for non-11Fs is absolutely ridiculous. Those guys are being held to a completely different standard. Granted some guys don’t belong instructing in the T-38, but according to my buddy (a reservist who has been there for a decade) a political point is trying to be made. Take it for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

This sounds like an AF that cares about you...

FYI if you are effected by this: Maj Gen Craig Wills is taking direct questions from people effected by the waiver denials on the MAF Facebook Page and will look into each case to see if he can alleviate burden. 

"(1/2) Team, thanks for letting me join the forum. I’m the new 19th Air Force Commander and I’m responsible for approving waiver requests.   The short answer is that I’ll review each on a case by case basis. Where it makes sense, I’ll approve, but most waivers will not likely be approved.  Here’s why: Over the years, we’ve given so many waivers that they had become automatic.  Almost 100 last year alone. Unfortunately the result was that we have been setting folks up for failure at PIT and at their wings.  Instructing at UPT is one of the most demanding jobs you’ll have.  It makes no sense to auto-waive course entry requirements for one of the most stressful jobs out there, especially when the requirements are reasonable. One of leadership’s primary responsibilities is to prepare and develop their people for what’s next. I’m hoping this will help improve the experience levels of our IP force and also help incentivize AMC to invest more in their young ACs.(2/2) Unfortunately, the waiver process is broken; something we’re fixing.  The unfortunate result is that folks have been finding out late and as we’ve seen on this page, there’s been real impact to people’s lives. I’m working with AFPC and your bosses to make sure that we fix this on the front end; you should never get a RIP unless you either meet the requirements or your boss has coordinated a waiver in advance.  For the wing, squadron and group CCs out there, please lean forward if you think you’ll need a waiver for your Airmen. If you’re waiting on a waiver and getting ready to move, hit me up at xxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxx and I’ll get you a same day decision.Thanks again for allowing me to join the group. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FLEA said:

If you’re waiting on a waiver and getting ready to move, hit me up at xxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxx and I’ll get you a same day decision.

Image result for how do you do fellow kids

But seriously, good on him for making that option available. :beer: 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3