What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

I think the percentages of takes are skewed. I think that since more people left that not only did fewer people take the bonus but there were fewer eligible because they left. I don’t think it takes that into account. There should be a stat for those who are eligible to stay and take a retainer bonus.

6 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

The study’s conclusion was that cost per trained pilot continued to decrease even as the bonus was increased through 100k.

True, but I think whoever was looking at it from HAF (if anyone) probably bit off on the flattening of the bonus vs takers chart at the $30-40k mark.  That would indicate that above that amount, the bonus will sway fewer people per dollar added.  It would still keep getting more takers through $100k, but the "efficiency" of bonus money goes down above that $30-40k mark.

The AF is calling it a crisis, but still wants to pay as little as possible, even if that means prolonging the crisis and losing more experience along the way.  Based on the ACTF Reddit AMA, it's because the AF is too afraid to ask Congress to up the bonus to the RAND results.  (Left unsaid is that they won't even pay people the full flight-pay amount because reasons...?)

Edited by raimius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Wing CC: "Why would you not sign this bonus, you're leaving $35K on the table!"

Pilot: "I grossed $35K last month in my other job"

Wing CC: "....fuck"

Other airline bubba: “Oh damn dude, you must have only worked 16-19 days last month!”

Edited by Bergman
  • Like 1

Wing CC: "Why would you not sign this bonus, you're leaving $35K on the table!"
Pilot: "I grossed $35K last month in my other job"
Wing CC: "...."

Anyone else get pinged by leadership as to why they didn’t sign/renegotiate?

I was considering renegotiating from my current 25k to 35k but this year they reduced the renegotiated amount to 25k which buys me nothing except commitment.

I am truly puzzled by the mismatch between those who say it’s critical to retain experienced pilots and the message of, “You are worth $25k per year down from $35k last year.”

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, di1630 said:

I am truly puzzled by the mismatch between those who say it’s critical to retain experienced pilots and the message of, “You are worth $25k per year down from $35k last year.”

Who in the AF has been saying that (besides pilots)?

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

Anyone else get pinged by leadership as to why they didn’t sign/renegotiate?

I was considering renegotiating from my current 25k to 35k but this year they reduced the renegotiated amount to 25k which buys me nothing except commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I've talked to several bros who have been asked by OG and or WG/CC about not taking bonuses...they all say the general reaction is surprise.  In 2019, leadership is still "surprised" a $15-35K bonus isn't worth shit to us.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Naviguesser said:

Who in the AF has been saying that (besides pilots)?

Leadership when they lower the bonus 10G. They might not be saying it to the masses but that is what they are saying. Like it or not the value of your labor is largely determined by your investment from your employer. 

Edited by FLEA
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, Tyking said:

Plus I’m a F-15 crew chief by trade, so with that being said I want to fly fighters. I want to have a fair shot of flying fighters through my preformace at flight school; not by if a unit likes me or not.

as a former fighter crew chief who attempted the first method, for me at least, ops check bad, recommend the latter.

1 hour ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

as a former fighter crew chief who attempted the first method, for me at least, ops check bad, recommend the latter.

Thanks for the advice, what do you fly now? So you would recommend guard/reserve? I have been thinking of pursuing a  fire fighting career. Maybe I’ll establish my self in that field full time and get a PPL under my belt and rush some units. My family and I do love the idea of settling down in one place, unfortunately the place we’re thinking of doing that is North Carolina; which doesn’t have any fighter guard/reserve units.....

Shady J has Reserves right?  Prolly gotta be established in the Strike world for that gig tho. South Carolina isn’t too far away if u are willing to be close to North Carolina instead of IN North Carolina. 

As for the firefighter piece, I used to fly jets with a former firefighter, no kidding. 

On another note, “My father was a fireman....he puts out fires!!  My sister Sal....”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures include:

- Losing Form 9’s
- Changing “color” of money
- New Sq TV purchases last week of fiscal year
- Official Functions: How to close for training for lunches
- How to fire Civil Service employees without taking years
- Jobs to obtain after your “four/five and dive” career aspirations

• Haha 1

And WIC's response...... 

Weapons School Graduates- 
I’ve become aware that Air Force Material Command (AFMC) has published an article regarding a future Acquisitions Weapons School. Unfortunately, this article was not coordinated with The United States Air Force Weapons School. AFI 11-415 clearly details the requirements and rigor required to establish a Weapons Instructor Course. Rest assured, that if the Acquisition’s community wants to establish a Weapons School, they will be held to the same standards as all other WICs.
-Col Steve Behmer,
Commandant

- Source, USAF Weapons School Official Facebook Page.

Edited by Vimix22
LInk bad

15 minutes ago, magnetfreezer said:

If they get the right people and don’t use WIC as simply a discriminator on a PRF, I think it’s a great idea. I am biased about WIC (black border), but I’m also smart enough to know that the acquisitions folks will make more of an impact on our national security as a whole than I ever will. If they do it right, it could really make a big difference in how the AF does business. If not, then meh, close up shop and we’ll get back to inefficient business as usual.

Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures include:

- Losing Form 9’s
- Changing “color” of money
- New Sq TV purchases last week of fiscal year
- Official Functions: How to close for training for lunches
- How to fire Civil Service employees without taking years
- Jobs to obtain after your “four/five and dive” career aspirations
That's finance, acquisitions is responsible for bigger successes like the F-35 and KC-46
  • Like 1

First Acquisition WIC paper/project

how to procure sunshades for the hottest AETC base in Texas. And the only UPT base without them...

*edit* please no more rep points i think 777 is a lucky omen for future poker gambling sessions....dont take that from me

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

Ain’t that the truth.  I don’t miss those third go August sorties with an international student on his second ride.

At least the T-6s got them.  The newest plane with a somewhat working AC.  Until they botched the second round of sun shades.  Then the T-1s are next...

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

First Acquisition WIC paper/project

how to procure sunshades for the hottest AETC base in Texas. And the only UPT base without them...

Unsat. Del Rio or Sheppard? They aren’t rocket science...you just need a good CE dude and a decent contracting officer who isn’t going to spend hours researching why it can’t be done.

Del Rio.  Years ago we were told it was to wait for the T-X specs.  I guess now they’ll have to come up with a different excuse.

Break break—anybody else get the email today about the ACTF news letter?  Pretty laughable IMO.

The GP/CD asked about an ECD. Is that a support term? In my 18 years I have never been asked for an ECD. We always say ETIC in ops world. I was like he can't be serious and ECD is some made up acronym to rival ETIC right?

BREAK BREAK

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/secretary-wilson-gen-goldfein-air-force-must-be-bigger-more-ready-and-more-lethal

Don't you need pilots too or your plan will simply fall apart? We have far more lethal weapons and added more mechanics. But where are your additional pilots and will those mechanics stick around in a few years?

Edited by Shazaam

5 hours ago, Shazaam said:

The GP/CD asked about an ECD. Is that a support term? In my 18 years I have never been asked for an ECD. We always say ETIC in ops world. I was like he can't be serious and ECD is some made up acronym to rival ETIC right?

BREAK BREAK

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/secretary-wilson-gen-goldfein-air-force-must-be-bigger-more-ready-and-more-lethal

Don't you need pilots too or your plan will simply fall apart? We have far more lethal weapons and added more mechanics. But where are your additional pilots and will those mechanics stick around in a few years?

Their answer is “Innovate”

• Upvote 1