What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

• 3 weeks later...

36-2903, 28 Sep 18.  I don't see it on E-Pubs yet, but leadership emailed it out.

TLDR:  New uniform AFI does not authorize rolling up flight suit or A2CU sleeves, but OCPs can.  

8.3.7. Sleeves. The FDU/DFDU will have sleeves rolled down to the wrist when performing aircrew duties in-flight. Sleeves may be rolled under if not performing in-flight duties; if rolled under the sleeve will not end above the natural bend of the wrist when the wearer's arms are hanging naturally at their side. 

(Add) 5.3. OCP Coat (Shirt). ...Commanders may authorize sleeves to be rolled up on the OCP coat; however, the cuffs will remain visible and the sleeve will rest at, or within 1 inch of, the forearm when the arm is bent at a 90-degree angle. Regardless as to whether the sleeves are rolled up or unrolled, the cuffs will remain visible at all times.

(referencing A2CU, 2-piece flight suit)  (Add) 8.12.3.4. The sleeves will be worn down at all times, not rolled or cuffed.

AFI_36-2903_28_Sep_18.pdf

I thought it was a memo authorizing sliding up the sleeves, never an actual change to AFI.  

Also, we have been told we are not going to buy more FDUs because we need to save money to purchase the Army flight suits.  What a waste of money.  

3 hours ago, Torch09 said:

36-2903, 28 Sep 18.  I don't see it on E-Pubs yet, but leadership emailed it out.

TLDR:  New uniform AFI does not authorize rolling up flight suit or A2CU sleeves, but OCPs can.  

8.3.7. Sleeves. The FDU/DFDU will have sleeves rolled down to the wrist when performing aircrew duties in-flight. Sleeves may be rolled under if not performing in-flight duties; if rolled under the sleeve will not end above the natural bend of the wrist when the wearer's arms are hanging naturally at their side. 

(Add) 5.3. OCP Coat (Shirt). ...Commanders may authorize sleeves to be rolled up on the OCP coat; however, the cuffs will remain visible and the sleeve will rest at, or within 1 inch of, the forearm when the arm is bent at a 90-degree angle. Regardless as to whether the sleeves are rolled up or unrolled, the cuffs will remain visible at all times.

(referencing A2CU, 2-piece flight suit)  (Add) 8.12.3.4. The sleeves will be worn down at all times, not rolled or cuffed.

AFI_36-2903_28_Sep_18.pdf

Back to doing it illegally, like we used to do with the flight suit.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

I thought it was a memo authorizing sliding up the sleeves, never an actual change to AFI.  

It was, and yet the text of that memo didn't make it into this AFI rewrite.  It was either an oversight/failure to update guidance based off of the memo, or an intentional change.

15 minutes ago, Torch09 said:

It was, and yet the text of that memo didn't make it into this AFI rewrite.  It was either an oversight/failure to update guidance based off of the memo, or an intentional change.

Based on the number of revisions that came out right after the release of the new AFI, I suspect it was an oversight.  They rushed it through to authorize OCPs and didn't spend any time on the other uniforms in the reg.

• Upvote 1

Fify : what's wrong with the Air Force, I can only answer that question from my own tour duty and experience. My TIS was 1981- 2001. I was known as what was called a 17yr career Ssgt, but I was righteous. I have to agree with the member of the Top 3 Club, that they were part of the problem and they had their BS meeting at the club. One of the biggest problem especially at Shaw AFB was having Civilian in charge of the military. For Shaw in the early 90'swas known as " THE GOOD OLE BOY'S BASE OF THE SOUTH. " But truly it was a squadron of Racism and favoritism.where careers were unjustly made and destroyed. Point in contrast: An E5 an individual without honor or integrity. And who had no problem turning a blind eye on his own race for privileges and favoritism, when he turn a blind eye to a Civilian Supertendent's Racial Attitude and behavior, by pulling his I.G. complaint for a racial incident against that Supertendent, for favoritism which included: Firewall EPRs towards testing, no future deployments. Fact from 13 Aug 1991 until July 1997, that individual did Zero deployments.A promises of step promotions. There's alot I can say, but it's a long but true Story. Let's jus say, this individual was able to progress through the ranks to unjustly achieve the most honorable enlisted rank E 9 and service 30 yrs . True example of a ROAD LIFER.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Good evening Gentlemen and lady's, decided to look back at some of you all comments and see if what I thought would happen to my comment, happen, which it did to no surprise to me. Administration pulled. Which basically mean that admin are probably members of the Top 3 Club and had their feelings hurt. And maybe I should apologize to them, if the truth hurts. " NOT!! . FOR I WILL NOT COMPROMISE MY HONOR, NOR MY INTEGRITY: By blowing smoke up somebody's Butt, or paint the truth through Rose Color Glasses. And for you young gentlemen who spoke of the Airman Oath and knowing the Air Force Songs as being traits of a true leader, you forgot one, the NCO CREED. Needles to say you don't know what you are you are talking about. For I lived by those beliefs, unlike the majority of the the NCOs, to them, they were mere words on a piece of paper, so feel good words to make their Airmen feel happy. They forgot it was their word, it was their promise to the to their Airmen and their families under them. Oh yes, these simple promise are signs of a true leader, as the fruit salad on ones Chest, or the strips on sports upon his sleeves at retirement. BUT THE TRUE CHARACTER OF THE INDIVIDUAL MAKES A TRUE LEADER.

• Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Sewer Rat said:

Good evening Gentlemen and lady's, decided to look back at some of you all comments and see if what I thought would happen to my comment, happen, which it did to no surprise to me. Administration pulled. Which basically mean that admin are probably members of the Top 3 Club and had their feelings hurt. And maybe I should apologize to them, if the truth hurts. " NOT!! . FOR I WILL NOT COMPROMISE MY HONOR, NOR MY INTEGRITY: By blowing smoke up somebody's Butt, or paint the truth through Rose Color Glasses. And for you young gentlemen who spoke of the Airman Oath and knowing the Air Force Songs as being traits of a true leader, you forgot one, the NCO CREED. Needles to say you don't know what you are you are talking about. For I lived by those beliefs, unlike the majority of the the NCOs, to them, they were mere words on a piece of paper, so feel good words to make their Airmen feel happy. They forgot it was their word, it was their promise to the to their Airmen and their families under them. Oh yes, these simple promise are signs of a true leader, as the fruit salad on ones Chest, or the strips on sports upon his sleeves at retirement. BUT THE TRUE CHARACTER OF THE INDIVIDUAL MAKES A TRUE LEADER.

Go away 

What the fuck was that, and what’s a Top 3 in relation to this site?  (Never mind, I get it now) If he was in the military (big if), the psych evaluation failed.  We have a few NCO’s on this site and they are great, you are not.

i defer my time to Huggy’s question, go with you thoughts on crew loads and minimum fuel burn.  Better yet, go with your techniques on a fix to fix.  I flew fighters for thousands of hours and never really got it, maybe you can help.  If GPS fails, I’m screwed.

Edited by matmacwc
Found out he was the true definition of sweaty.
  • Like 2

Matmacwc!  I'm your Huckleberry!

Being a FAIP from the 1980's, I have mad fix-to-fix skills.  Feel free to drop me a pm and I'm sure we can schedule a video-teleconference and I'll draw it all out (4 colors, naturally) on the whiteboard (no chalk, sorry).

Sewer Rat, we can include you on the call if you want to learn too.  I'm here to help.  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, Torch09 said:

Check parent paragraph. Only applies when in performance of flight crew duties. 

8.12.3. When worn in the performance of flight crew duties, aircrew must adhere to the following guidelines to ensure the full protective properties of the uniform are maintained:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Prozac said:

Pencil method bros. Don’t forget to correct for winds. Also TIM. Forget TIM=clean kill. 

I always made my studs do the double-pinch with gloves on a 3" HSI. They loved it.