What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

Reading that news coverage of the CDI makes me incredibly glad I am off that sinking ship.

Warrior monks everywhere, pandering to the feelings of the lowest common emotional denominator.

Ironic pandering.

Everything I’ve read indicates that the female student in question is straight pissed that leadership has taken it upon themselves to be offended on her behalf.

...can’t say that I would blame her.

2 hours ago, BFM this said:

Ironic pandering.

Everything I’ve read indicates that the female student in question is straight pissed that leadership has taken it upon themselves to be offended on her behalf.

...can’t say that I would blame her.

She is most certainly not who the PC leadership is pandering to.  They are more likely pandering to some non-existent politically correct standard monster that leadership is afraid is going to come gobble them up and get them fired.

Asking a bunch of enlisted folks who are entirely unrelated to the events being discussed, about how they feel about actions that don't pertain to them in any way and which they didn't experience, is a nice touch and a great way to evaluate behavior, though.

Edited by Hacker
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, av8tor55 said:

So Kwast fired Velino for the same UPT shenanigans that have been happening since the inception of the Air Force? Guess what, the same $h!t happened when he was the 47th OG/CC 15 years ago, and he was a willing participant!

This has been taking place for decades.

4 hours ago, av8tor55 said:

So Kwast fired Velino for the same UPT shenanigans that have been happening since the inception of the Air Force? Guess what, the same $h!t happened when he was the 47th OG/CC 15 years ago, and he was a willing participant!

You don't name a student that, you don't name anybody that.  Me thinks VBF would be more tame than what they did.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I don’t remember having namings during UPT. Does this happen during Tones/-38 or T-6’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

We had namings in T-6s at the solo party. No families were invited, just IPs and the students. It was a great party and IIRC the OG/CC showed up for it, at least for awhile.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. However you don’t also force your will others. Since when can be offended for someone else? That just seems very weird.

The trick is to spend a few extra minutes after having a few drinks to ensure we use all of the words we intend to make our point. Leaving out words, in general, hurts our credibility.

Trust me, I know about these things.

~Bendy
  • Like 1

Had a T-6 solo party/naming, T-38 transition party, T-38 naming. Our class were all friends, most of the IPs seemed to give a shit, so everybody had a blast. We had a few prior WSOs/radar navs in our class, so we were read in on “this isn’t a real naming, but we’re going to act like it anyway.” The couple of classes before us didn’t really like each other, so they probably hated all those parties, if they even had them at all.

YMMV. Never force a party. Also don’t be the asshole that’s too cool for a party if everyone else is into it.

I never took the T-6 naming as a serious naming but more like an introduction or indoctrination into the culture. Alcohol was apart of ours but none of the names actually stuck. It wasn't nearly as outrageous or as fun as the naming I had been to later in the CAF. But it was a great dip into being AF aircrew.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

Maybe the fighter world. Naming parties and the like are not present in most (if not all) MAF communities. 

Which is unfortunate and IMO part of what’s wrong with the MAF “community”.  I’ve been in both and like aspects of each one, but naming and roll calls would bring some much needed camaraderie and morale to a MAF community that needs it badly.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Runr6730 said:

Which is unfortunate and IMO part of what’s wrong with the MAF “community”.  I’ve been in both and like aspects of each one, but naming and roll calls would bring some much needed camaraderie and morale to a MAF community that needs it badly.  

Maybe if MAF leadership weren’t risk adverse managers.

• Like 1

We had plenty of morale and camaraderie years ago without naming parties and roll calls. Besides...how would you schedule something like that since at least 1/3rd of the squadron is gone any given day.

If you want to improve morale then ease the pain of soul-crushing ops tempos. The bullshit we saw in 2011 with the swell time for a CENTCOM deployment overlapping the AFRICOM deployment since they were different theaters. We are still seeing the effects of that mess.
  • Like 1