What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

1 hour ago, xaarman said:

On a side note, this happened: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/us/air-force-base-active-shooter-confusion/index.html

lol I'm sure no one got fired for this innocent mistake

Hey man, two things happening at once gets really tough!  You wouldn't expect that to happen in a million years.

Also, is shooting through the door not how we are supposed to open them?

Lots of new airmen with drive but not the training...

2 hours ago, xaarman said:

On a side note, this happened: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/us/air-force-base-active-shooter-confusion/index.html

lol I'm sure no one got fired for this innocent mistake

Oh, are we still pretending Wright Pat is a Air Force Base, and not a civilian run self-licking ice cream cone?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

I'm pretty amazed no one died...

" The report made recommendations for the base to improve its communications about drill exercises, and inter-operability with state and local first responders. " 

image.png.6773c6de3f1265aa5ba4d70f87d6975d.png

Edited by Tonka
more stuff

"There was an "incredible convergence of stimuli," Col. Thomas Sherman, commander of the 88th Air Base Wing, told reporters Wednesday. "Sounds, yells, sights. All of those things that are really testing the senses."

Hahaha, oh wait, you're serious?  This is one, rare time where I think some leadership deserves to get fired.  Unbelievable clown show.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, brabus said:

"There was an "incredible convergence of stimuli," Col. Thomas Sherman, commander of the 88th Air Base Wing, told reporters Wednesday. "Sounds, yells, sights. All of those things that are really testing the senses."

Hahaha, oh wait, you're serious?  This is one, rare time where I think some leadership deserves to get fired.  Unbelievable clown show.

Strange too since he's a career cop. I'd assume he's trying to provide a scapegoat to mitigate the fallout.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:14 AM, 17D_guy said:

I've got my grievances with the HPO/Shiny Penny method of leadership selection we utilize.  But there's got to be a difference between the APZ's you guys work with and the ones I do...because the ones I do are awful. 

Maj's that can't communicate, can't lead, can't even manage, extremely risk averse and should just dress up in a Blue Falcon costume.  Never mind failing training requirements, and still demanding to be "first out the door."

Perhaps I'm just institutionalized since I hit 20 early next year.

I can name 5 APZers that would all do well commanding a squadron. There are some shitty APZs, but at least from what I've seen (F-16 world), there are some really good dudes too... far better than the few BTZers I've seen.

Seriously?

"The report said an absence of wing leadership contributed to the officer misconduct. It singles out Velino, who took command of the 47th, for being on TDY for 135 days during his first six months, or about 73 percent of the time. That included 128 days at Pilot Instructor Training at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, the report said."

Other parts of the report aside it turns out being on a mandatory TDY in order to do your job is wrong. 

Edited by LiquidSky

The 47th also misinterpreted the Air Force’s new policy to revitalize squadrons by pushing down decision-making authority.

“On multiple occasions leadership in the 47th FTW inappropriately abdicated authority,” the report said. “The abdication was both a lack of awareness when leaders should act and a misunderstanding of authorities and delegation of authorities.”

Well there go all the gains that Fingers said to make. I’d like to know more about what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

6 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Well there go all the gains that Fingers said to make. I’d like to know more about what happened.

A few other gems from the article to consider.  AETC seems to be working hard to keep the retention crisis going.

In focus groups, enlisted airmen said they didn’t think the drinking culture was professional, moderate or responsible, and most said officers drank more than enlisted personnel. They also characterized student pilots as “frat boys," 

Interesting that the investigators did these focus discussion groups with people that did not have first-hand knowledge.  It makes me question what they were trying to prove.

Two instructors also said they felt pressured to drink, and three instructors believed Air Force leadership encouraged the alcohol culture.

Out of?  This statement is completely meaningless without a denominator.

And this one made me laugh...

The report also identified “an environment of hostility and toxic leadership” among a few simulator instructors at Laughlin, which had lasted for years, was occasionally severe, and didn’t do anything to improve their student’s performance.

Especially after this post on TPN a few days ago

I need your help! 
I’m looking for an honest and open answer to an Open ended question for members of TPN. What would it take to get you to accept a job as a civilian simulator Instructor Pilot at Laughlin Air Force Base in Del Rio Tx? Starting pay is appx $74k with government benifits and there may be recruitment and relocation bonuses authorized for highly qualified individuals. Qualified individuals have 1500 total hours, 500 hours of IP time, 75 night hours and can pass a drug test. If you wouldn’t take this offer, what would it take to get you to apply?

• Upvote 1

Reading that news coverage of the CDI makes me incredibly glad I am off that sinking ship.

Warrior monks everywhere, pandering to the feelings of the lowest common emotional denominator.

Edited by Hacker
  • Like 8

Also apparently the term "bro-culture" is now social recategorization and using "male-centric terminology to describe team comradery" are a micro-aggressions. So better find a new term because it looks like "being a bro" is now banned.

Edited by Fuzz

A great example of the “single storyism” that wins the influencing battle in modern culture. One airman says “pilots act like frat boys”. One person is offended by a name that didn’t stick. An IP feels like he is pressured to drink. Each story is only one of a possible 4,300 human experiences at Laughlin (0.02% of the total base population), but that single story will rule the narrative if a report writer can spread it to the masses.

The tyranny is that, if one hundred people are interviewed, any conclusion can be cherry picked from the pile of words. It’s not scientific, and it’s not democratic. It’s reminiscent of Pravda or China Daily, where the approved messages are sitting on shelves waiting for the right anecdotes to flesh them out.

”Power is the ability not just to tell the story of another person, but to make it the definitive story of that person.”

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

Reading that news coverage of the CDI makes me incredibly glad I am off that sinking ship.

Warrior monks everywhere, pandering to the feelings of the lowest common emotional denominator.

That's probably fair.  But students can hardly fly themselves out of a paper bag sometimes and often don't deserve to be off formal release, let alone throwing keggers in the squadron bar.

• Like 1