What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

12 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

maneuvering through a few cones with your hoveround. 

I misread "hoveround" as "hoverboard," and my first thought was, "No way, he'll break his hip on one of those things!"

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, nunya said:

I misread "hoveround" as "hoverboard," and my first thought was, "No way, he'll break his hip on one of those things!"

Silly rabbit. You can’t just break titanium. Didn’t you watch RoboCop?

Now go grab me an Ensure, and go back to eating your FudgeSickle, junior. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember someone mentioning this program a few months ago. Where enlisted and officers go through a screening program. Are we screening for an Enders Game scenario already where we need the brightest mind to control all of our Space Force attack drones?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/08/04/student-pilots-given-unlimited-simulator-time-new-air-force-experiment.html

BREAK BREAK

What thread does this belong in? I think I have seen it all in the  AF now. "Senior Airman claims Air Force discharged him after sexual orientation and HIV status revealed"

http://www.koaa.com/story/38807303/seniorairman-claims-air-force-discharged-him-after-sexual-orientation-and-hiv-status-revealed

Edited by HarleyQuinn

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember someone mentioning this program a few months ago. Where enlisted and officers go through a screening program. Are we screening for an Enders Game scenario already where we need the brightest mind to control all of our Space Force attack drones?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/08/04/student-pilots-given-unlimited-simulator-time-new-air-force-experiment.html

BREAK BREAK

What thread does this belong in? I think I have seen it all in the  AF now. "Senior Airman claims Air Force discharged him after sexual orientation and HIV status revealed"

http://www.koaa.com/story/38807303/seniorairman-claims-air-force-discharged-him-after-sexual-orientation-and-hiv-status-revealed

Since he was acquitted, he can never be tried again in a court martial/Art 15 for the same offense. However, Commanders and JAG’s tap dance around the Double Jeopardy Clause by handing out LOC/LOA/LOR’s and Administrative Separation since it’s not considered “punitive” and it’s an “administrative issue.” Since he wasn’t an NCO, and probably wasn’t in for at least six years, he wasn’t entitled to a separation board. So it went to the Wing King, who was either the Convening Authority or advised the NAF/CC as the Convening Authority for his court martial.

The military justice system allows the government two bites of the proverbial Apple when it comes charged misconduct. 

Edited by Azimuth

On 8/4/2018 at 12:27 PM, Azimuth said:

Since he was acquitted, he can never be tried again in a court martial/Art 15 for the same offense. However, Commanders and JAG’s tap dance around the Double Jeopardy Clause by handing out LOC/LOA/LOR’s and Administrative Separation since it’s not considered “punitive” and it’s an “administrative issue.” Since he wasn’t an NCO, and probably wasn’t in for at least six years, he wasn’t entitled to a separation board. So it went to the Wing King, who was either the Convening Authority or advised the NAF/CC as the Convening Authority for his court martial.

The military justice system allows the government two bites of the proverbial Apple when it comes charged misconduct. 

File this under - "Congratulations, you're not guilty but you're a pain in the ass.  There's the door."

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1595836/innovative-1st-rs-training-provides-rq-4-student-pilots-valuable-flying-experie/

Big Blue gives out innovation $, in turn RPA drivers buy in-cockpit flight time...who knew they'd want to do such a thing, and gasp that's its having benefits back to Big Blue.

Why wasn't this done earlier? Like 10 years ago?

Fund and approve more Aeroclubs! Especially near RPA drivers!

Edited by Swizzle
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Why put that positive article about Sq level initiative and improving QOL and Mission simultaneously in the “What’s wrong with the Air Force?” thread?

Because after two decades of flying RPAs, this is the first ever paired manned flying program. What happens when you pull pilots from the cockpit and stick them in a shipping container for 4 years? You get crusty bitter old pilots like me who hate the Air Force.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Sounds vaguely like the old companion trainer program where bases had Tweets or Talons for seasoning.

What is old is new again.

So buy up a 100 or so T-53s (Cirrus SR-20s) like they have at the Zoo, divide among RPA units & TA-DA!  the ACE program is reborn.  Of course under a whole new name so everyone thinks this is some brand new idea....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Someone was bitching about the AF service dress uniform at work last week. I told them to STFU or you will anger the uniform gods into action. Too late!

Why doesn't Big Blue just contract the PT uniform to Nike or Under Armour? They already have moisture wicking material. I wear Nike Dri Fit material to the gym everyday and it's amazing.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/08/16/the-air-force-is-working-on-a-new-dress-blues-uniform-and-its-going-old-school/

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Someone was bitching about the AF service dress uniform at work last week. I told them to STFU or you will anger the uniform gods into action. Too late! Why doesn't Big Blue just contract the PT uniform to Nike or Under Armour? They already have moisture wicking material. I wear Nike Dri Fit material to the gym everyday and it's amazing.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/08/16/the-air-force-is-working-on-a-new-dress-blues-uniform-and-its-going-old-school/

Who actually has to wear service dress so frequently that they bitch about it? So many better things to rightfully complain about as your service dress sits in the back of your closet 364 days out of the year.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

Who actually has to wear service dress so frequently that they bitch about it? So many better things to rightfully complain about as your service dress sits in the back of your closet 364 days out of the year.

Champ I agree, we have other things  to worry about than what the service dress will be since we rarely wear it. But if we are going to change it bring back the old school style jackets, in either the older bluish grey that the AF started out with or the Pink and greens old school AAC style. While the older blue one wouldn’t require as much change for most of us anyway if we keep the same blue shirt as well  

Now we do have something to complain about the pt shirts. They do suck and should have been made out of a wicking fabric a LONG time ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

70% of millennials between the ages of 17-24 are ineligible to join the military. Not sure why anyone in Big Blue cares about the service dress uniform right now. Uniforms shouldn't be the priority, it should be the people and why they keep running for the door. There is nobody to backfill the personnel who are leaving. I'm the last person who will be serving in the military from my family. Apparently, generations of families serving has been something the military could count on. Generations of families serving is slowly fading away too. The generals can have fun wearing these awesome new uniforms because everyone else will be gone.  An AF of one coming soon...

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cragspider said:

Champ I agree, we have other things  to worry about than what the service dress will be since we rarely wear it. But if we are going to change it bring back the old school style jackets, in either the older bluish grey that the AF started out with or the Pink and greens old school AAC style. While the older blue one wouldn’t require as much change for most of us anyway if we keep the same blue shirt as well  

Now we do have something to complain about the pt shirts. They do suck and should have been made out of a wicking fabric a LONG time ago. 

USAF PT shirts should also sit in the back of one's closet 364 days out of the year...

• Upvote 5

Guess I'll be the only person who supports and thinks going back to something we had before McPeak is a good idea™.  As someone who led Airman and had to wear the Service dress 4+ more times a year, going back to the 4 pockets I saw growing up would be fantastic.

It's kinda legit heritage.  Imagine if we get back to the Hap Arnold symbol with this leadership crew.  Would you all complain that's a waste too?

Sure, there's other things to focus on as well.  But it's not like you're going to pull someone out of the uniform board, tell them to retain more Airmen and it'll have an impact.  

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Sure, there's other things to focus on as well.  But it's not like you're going to pull someone out of the uniform board, tell them to retain more Airmen and it'll have an impact.  

A uniform board is about as useless as comm fixing a share drive outage at 1500 on a Friday. When you show up on Monday, I'm willing to bet it will still be down. Why do we need a uniform board and since when have they ever gotten anything right? Having a uniform board is like having an airman from services trying to fix you a grilled cheese while deployed. Just a waste of time. But when the contractor who never stops smiling named Jaleb taps out the airman, you will be served the best grilled cheese in your life.

AF Priorities: 1. Queep 2.365s/179s 3. Uniforms 4. You never seeing your family 5. Retention

Edited by HarleyQuinn

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Why doesn't Big Blue just contract the PT uniform to Nike or Under Armour? They already have moisture wicking material. I wear Nike Dri Fit material to the gym everyday and it's amazing.

I wish Nike made all our uniforms...and no not because i’m an athlete but because they’re comfortable. 

Edited by IMUA

8 minutes ago, IMUA said:

I wish Nike made all our uniforms...and no not because i’m an athlete but because they’re comfortable. 

How about no more PT uniform. Just wear your civilian gym clothes, or you’re grandpa jeans and kitty ear hat. No one gives a shit. One less thing to dig out of the closet for the annual pt test or ‘stan deployment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

A uniform board is about as useless as comm fixing a share drive outage at 1500 on a Friday. When you show up on Monday, I'm willing to bet it will still be down. Why do we need a uniform board and since when have they ever gotten anything right? Having a uniform board is like having an airman from services trying to fix you a grilled cheese while deployed. Just a waste of time. But when the contractor who never stops smiling named Jaleb taps out the airman, you will be served the best grilled cheese in your life.

AF Priorities: 1. Queep 2.365s/179s 3. Uniforms 4. You never seeing your family 5. Retention

So...never update the uniforms, or research new materials.  

Ok.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

How about no more PT uniform. Just wear your civilian gym clothes, or you’re grandpa jeans and kitty ear hat. No one gives a shit. One less thing to dig out of the closet for the annual pt test or ‘stan deployment. 

When the current PT uniform came out, you were supposed to wear it untucked and could mix and match items with civilians clothes. Of course, that didn't last long.

18 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

So...never update the uniforms, or research new materials.  

Ok.

You have a hard on for uniforms? What new material is going into the service dress uniforms? Ability to repel coffee, ink, and stains encountered at the chow hall or in an office? You're talking to someone who watched his father wear BDUs for 20+ years of which I wore them for 5+ years. Our uniforms are not the reason why we partly struggled in Afghanistan and Iraq with insurgents. Uniforms don't stop snipers, IEDs, or VBEDs. The Marines have the cheapest uniforms but they outlasted all the other services in combat and proved to be far more useful.

You have my vote of confidence for BODN's first Uniform Board President position.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Our uniforms are not the reason why we partly struggled in Afghanistan and Iraq with insurgents. Uniforms don't stop snipers, IEDs, or VBEDs.

Actually, the ABU was part of the struggle in Iraq/Afghanistan. Insurgents routinely targeted the dudes in the “different” uniform first because they had learned who was talking to aircraft.

But that has nothing to do with the change in service dress uniform which *might* happen “eventually”.