What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

From your article: “The new handbook replaces the 2009 Air Force Instruction of the same name.”

I’m actually a little surprised this hasn’t been brought up yet. In the push to reduce AFIs we are renaming them. AFI11-2MDSv1/2/3? Gone. Soon to be AFMANs. I can’t believe how much time we’re going to spend implementing this “improvement” that accomplishes what exactly?

Honestly...they never should have been AFIs in the first place. Is it a happy to glad? Yes. But they really are more “how to” than “rules.”

At least in AMC where the sups are longer than the HAF AFI.

1 hour ago, Hacker said:

I just love this interview...this guy has future senator written all over him.  Totally incapable of answering a simple question.

Just an example:

"AIRMAN MAGAZINE: When did the Air Force start noticing pilot manning issues in the fighter community?"

Seems like a pretty simple question...when did you notice it?

"BRIG. GEN. KOSCHESKI: The fighter pilot crisis manifested itself because when you only have single seat fighters, it becomes a cockpit training capacity issue quickly compared to larger aircraft with multi-seats, where you have an aircraft commander and a copilot. You have a little bit more flexibility to manage your pilot training. The crisis happened quickly in the fighters because of that very reason.

But what we’re seeing is the same dynamics are in place for other career fields, and also because of the fighter pilot shortage, the mobility Air Force has been carrying some training shortfalls and pilot training to cover the shortage of fighter pilots. So, their effective manning has been hit and they’ve been doing more than their fair share, trying to help out while we heal the fighter pilot crisis."

Okay...but WHEN DID YOU NOTICE THE ISSUES??  WHEN, not HOW or WHY.  WHEN.  It is a time-based question, sir.  The answer should have some kind of chronological reference, like "in 2008 when Gen Welsh was going around USAFE asking fighter pilots why they aren't staying in", or "last week when one of my staffers left Baseops.net open on his computer and I started reading."

Koscheski is a political General, thus the non answer that doesn’t even relate to reality. 

The better Q&A

AIRMAN MAGAZINE: What would you tell pilots who may be thinking of leaving the Air Force? 

BRIG. GEN. KOSCHESKI: I think the Air Force gives Airmen a chance to live a meaningful life and you get to see tangible results of the work you do. It’s important. It matters. You don’t wake up in the Air Force and go to work and go, “I wonder if what I do today, if it matters or not?”

In terms of quality of service, quality of life, I think we’ve also got a lot to offer, and folks see that and I also think pilots have seen the efforts that we’ve taken through retention, especially to try to improve things. We reduced some deployments, and we’re improving assignment processes. We’re trying to give stability to families, and they see that, and we have a lot of good faith going on right now across the force of people wanting to hang in there and stay Air Force, so they can live a life that matters, and they see that we’re trying to take care of them and make things better for them.

Did you guys hear that? Big Blue will take care of you!

• Haha 2

There is this thing called a screen protector now you could put over the center console. Pretty sure one could be made in China for $1 to cover the screen and keyspad, but will cost the AF $500 a pop. Just saved the AF $113K. 

A Can Of Red Bull Nearly Caused Major Problems For An Air Force Spy Plane

https://taskandpurpose.com/red-bull-air-force-spy-plane/

Edited by HarleyQuinn

21 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

There is this thing called a screen protector now you could put over the center console. Pretty sure one could be made in China for $1 to cover the screen and keys, but will cost the AF $500 a pop. Just saved the AF $113K. 

A Can Of Red Bull Nearly Caused Major Problems For An Air Force Spy Plane

https://taskandpurpose.com/red-bull-air-force-spy-plane/

Not the first time, nor likely the last, a caffeinated beverage has caused significant electronic systems damage to a military aircraft.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

I think the Air Force gives Airmen a chance to live a meaningful life and you get to see tangible results of the work you do. It’s important. It matters. You don’t wake up in the Air Force and go to work and go, “I wonder if what I do today, if it matters or not?”

Raise your hand if many of the days you drive into work, you dread the fact that your day will be littered with stupid unimportant bullshit that has no tangible meaning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

Raise your hand if many of the days you drive into work, you dread the fact that your day will be littered with stupid unimportant bullshit that has no tangible meaning.

I was talking to a friend via messenger who is a captain in the JA office. I was telling her about queep and gave her an example because she had never heard the term before. I wrote, "Queep - Wing commander tells every officer on base they must fill out a court member data form for the JA office." My friend couldn't stop laughing.

5 hours ago, Hacker said:

I just love this interview...this guy has future senator written all over him.  Totally incapable of answering a simple question.

Just an example:

"AIRMAN MAGAZINE: When did the Air Force start noticing pilot manning issues in the fighter community?"

Seems like a pretty simple question...when did you notice it?

"BRIG. GEN. KOSCHESKI: The fighter pilot crisis manifested itself because when you only have single seat fighters, it becomes a cockpit training capacity issue quickly compared to larger aircraft with multi-seats, where you have an aircraft commander and a copilot. You have a little bit more flexibility to manage your pilot training. The crisis happened quickly in the fighters because of that very reason.

But what we’re seeing is the same dynamics are in place for other career fields, and also because of the fighter pilot shortage, the mobility Air Force has been carrying some training shortfalls and pilot training to cover the shortage of fighter pilots. So, their effective manning has been hit and they’ve been doing more than their fair share, trying to help out while we heal the fighter pilot crisis."

Okay...but WHEN DID YOU NOTICE THE ISSUES??  WHEN, not HOW or WHY.  WHEN.  It is a time-based question, sir.  The answer should have some kind of chronological reference, like "in 2008 when Gen Welsh was going around USAFE asking fighter pilots why they aren't staying in", or "last week when one of my staffers left Baseops.net open on his computer and I started reading."

What?  Does anyone except for this guy actually think that's why there is a pilot retention issue?  ACC and AMC/AFSOC are suffering a biblical exodus right now - this is the first I have heard that ACC's is more pronounced because they have single pilot airplanes and the others have copilots.  Lord help us if he is the one trying to figure out the why... 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

Koscheski is a political General, thus the non answer that doesn’t even relate to reality. 

The better Q&A

AIRMAN MAGAZINE: What would you tell pilots who may be thinking of leaving the Air Force? 

BRIG. GEN. KOSCHESKI: I think the Air Force gives Airmen a chance to live a meaningful life and you get to see tangible results of the work you do. It’s important. It matters. You don’t wake up in the Air Force and go to work and go, “I wonder if what I do today, if it matters or not?”

In terms of quality of service, quality of life, I think we’ve also got a lot to offer, and folks see that and I also think pilots have seen the efforts that we’ve taken through retention, especially to try to improve things. We reduced some deployments, and we’re improving assignment processes. We’re trying to give stability to families, and they see that, and we have a lot of good faith going on right now across the force of people wanting to hang in there and stay Air Force, so they can live a life that matters, and they see that we’re trying to take care of them and make things better for them.

097e638378f06745537602b20bc8c86a557369eb_hq.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Whatever happened to the ideal giving pilots the choice of staying in the cockpit or going command track?

3 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

“2”

Hits keep coming.

Got a call from outgoing Sq/CC today notifying me I'm going to get moved to a "great opportunity" to work on a "new mission system," and that the dude they told me for 3 months is just the Interim Dir of Ops is going to stay in place and be the actual DO.  He's "got the skill set they need."

I had initially asked 3 months ago if this was the case because I had a blue falcon feeling.  Sq/CC told me then it was not, that I was the DO "until I heard from him otherwise." So I guess he's not a liar.

Asked if I had any concerns. I told him I'd vectored my Command DT input as me already being in a DO position since that's what the 1-star who got me the job advised me to put.  Along with my OPR saying DO selection "spot on" (or whatever) and now if I'm not going to be a DO how's that going to impact my career?  Since I'll now not get the DO stamp on time, when I was identified as a early year-group candidate...what's the impact?

He was quiet and said he'd have to talk to everyone who made the decision about it.  Since they didn't think about that before.

I hit 20 yrs in Feb 19, ADSC up Nov 19.

1 hour ago, 17D_guy said:

Hits keep coming.

Got a call from outgoing Sq/CC today notifying me I'm going to get moved to a "great opportunity" to work on a "new mission system," and that the dude they told me for 3 months is just the Interim Dir of Ops is going to stay in place and be the actual DO.  He's "got the skill set they need."

I had initially asked 3 months ago if this was the case because I had a blue falcon feeling.  Sq/CC told me then it was not, that I was the DO "until I heard from him otherwise." So I guess he's not a liar.

Asked if I had any concerns. I told him I'd vectored my Command DT input as me already being in a DO position since that's what the 1-star who got me the job advised me to put.  Along with my OPR saying DO selection "spot on" (or whatever) and now if I'm not going to be a DO how's that going to impact my career?  Since I'll now not get the DO stamp on time, when I was identified as a early year-group candidate...what's the impact?

He was quiet and said he'd have to talk to everyone who made the decision about it.  Since they didn't think about that before.

I hit 20 yrs in Feb 19, ADSC up Nov 19.

Didn’t you hear that the AF has improved the assignment system and that it is looking out for you so that you can have a meaningful life?

• Upvote 2

How anyone goes past their initial commitment in that branch is beyond me.

I’ve met some Army O-6s who probably couldn’t keep a job managing a Taco Bell, so the pay/job security probably keeps some in.

Same applies to the USAF.

Nah. An Air Force Colonel with an honorable service characterization could clearly manage an Apple store.

5 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

I’ve met some Army O-6s who probably couldn’t keep a job managing a Taco Bell, so the pay/job security probably keeps some in.

You didn't have to drop the 🎤 so hard. Daaaaaaamn!

Screenshot_20180709-181058.png

Edited by HarleyQuinn