What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

7 hours ago, di1630 said:

I had to turn it off at the hand puppet. I seriously can’t believe these people are in the same USAF as me....actually I can and that’s even worse.

Tennessee is a good ANG unit too. I’d expect this from Alabama.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Azimuth said:

Tennessee is a good ANG unit too. I’d expect this from Alabama.

Hey!  This was in Nashville!!  Nothing to do with the flying units...it was either HQ or 118th (RPAs).

EDIT: just read they are TN HQ people.

Edited by Bergman

She recited the enlistment oath with a t-rex sock puppet on her right hand.  It's pretty cringe-worthy. 

Joke or no-joke, I can't imagine what went through her head, the O6 on the left, or the dude filming when they thought it'd be a good idea to post it online.  I'm by no means the most reverent person around and I thought it was pretty bad.

4 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

She recited the enlistment oath with a t-rex sock puppet on her right hand.  It's pretty cringe-worthy. 

Joke or no-joke, I can't imagine what went through her head, the O6 on the left, or the dude filming when they thought it'd be a good idea to post it online.  I'm by no means the most reverent person around and I thought it was pretty bad.

No time wasted I guess. 

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/04/18/colonel-demoted-immediately-retired-from-air-national-guard-over-dinosaur-puppet-video/

Seems pretty excessive to me, especially given the light punishments that accompany actual wrong-doing so often.

The message is clear - fuck up all you want, but don't embarrass the Air Force in public.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

On 4/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, Bergman said:

Hey!  This was in Nashville!!  Nothing to do with the flying units...it was either HQ or 118th (RPAs).

EDIT: just read they are TN HQ people.

FWIW the 118th OG is a flying unit all day every day and twice on Sundays :beer:

14 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Good. I hope they boot her ass out as well. 

Negative ghostrider. 16 years of service and a PA/customs & courtesies fuck-up means you should be shown the door? Crashing airplanes negligently, getting others injured/killed, losing your weapon, etc. will all get you stars on your shoulder from what I've seen (no shit), but something like this means you get the boot no questions asked? I agree with pawnman above - this is an ass-chewing punishment, not a lose-your-retirement punishment.

I know the internet outrage machine is turned up to 11 and it's a nice neat narrative that, "Haha, look at those POGs in the ANG with their fucking sock puppets!" and I cringed and face-palmed too, especially because this was right down the street from where our guys are sitting and taking the fight to the enemy, but zoom out a little bit and realize we've all made mistakes that would probably severely embarrass the Air Force. Luckily for most of us there weren't any cameras around.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 10

27 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Seems pretty excessive to me, especially given the light punishments that accompany actual wrong-doing so often.

The message is clear - fuck up all you want, but don't embarrass the Air Force in public.

Possible "cover story" for this egregious shenanigan? Source; Washington Post;    

"The ceremony was not an official reenlistment and that the video was made for Brown’s children to watch."

On 4/19/2018 at 6:44 AM, nsplayr said:

I know the internet outrage machine is turned up to 11 and it's a nice neat narrative that, "Haha, look at those POGs in the ANG with their fucking sock puppets!" and I cringed and face-palmed too, especially because this was right down the street from where our guys are sitting and taking the fight to the enemy, but zoom out a little bit and realize we've all made mistakes....

Well said, concur.

the video was embarrassing and filming/posting by experienced people showed a huge lack of judgement.  However, their error did not jeopardize life, mission, equipment.  Firing these folks while ignoring senior leader mistakes that do jeopardize life, mission, and equipment tells me two things: image is valued above substance, and leadership will crush you for violating non-criminal undefined standards.

I like that immediate forcible retirement is a tool at the disposal of senior leaders, but this incident is when they use it?  Would any of us want the GO who crushed these folks to be our GO who may turn on us if a video surfaced of you without a hat, or having a beer in uniform?  What if, theoretically, CVR and FMV emerge of you shooting an injured squirter and CNN demands accountability.  Think this group of GOs would have your back or throw you to the wolves?  

TLDR: initial incident bad, reaction worse.  Nsplayr reply good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

TA i disagree with you on this one.

that video was complete and utter bull shit...

both the O-6 and SNCO should know better... it made my blood boil. if someone sees me drinking beer in uniform or not wearing my cover so be it...i brought "shame" on myself and expect to deal with the consequences...but god damn did those two bring shame and scorn on the entire enterprise and shit all over a oath that thousands have given their lives upholding.

they mocked the entire military IMO and deserved to be absolutely crushed.

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think the part we all seem to be missing is the fact that it’s a Guard unit. They have to balance not only the perception of the service in question, but also the state and local governments. If the Governor of Tennessee says “WTF?!”, I’d expect to see a reaction such as we did. 

This sums up my point perfectly as only the fine scholars at Duffle Blog can. The whole article is f-ing savage!

https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/04/colonel-gave-reenlistment-oath-dinosaur-puppet-forced-retire-rank-jeffrey-sinclair/

“In my estimation, allowing your subordinate to reenlist with a sock puppet is approximately half as bad as forcing your subordinate to perform oral sex and then threatening to kill her,” said Haston, as he attempted to wipe a mustard stain off of his uniform.

“We aim to promote good leadership, which is exemplified by actions such as destroying morale within your organization by levying draconian punishments for minor infractions for the sake of political expediency, kowtowing to the whims of social media vigilantes suffering from Outraged Veteran Syndrome, and maintaining a body fat percentage under 45%.”

:notworthy: Duffle Blog, while also hoping this will blow over soon so we can get back to quietly killing bad guys without making headline news...

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

TA i disagree with you on this one.

they mocked the entire military IMO and deserved to be absolutely crushed.

Your viewpoint is valid.  I don’t want to work with the people in the video or for the general who crushed them.  Having worked around both types, seems leaders who cave to political pressure are more of a threat to mission whereas the others can be ignored.  I don’t know bro, maybe being on staff has made me a big pussy and I’m overthinking it.  Ultimately, I look at these folks getting paperwork/fired and think the same thing my daughter told my sick wife in the hospital: “good thing I’m not you.”

• Like 1

you're def not a big pussy lol.

what chaps my ass even more is she is public affairs... and PA has been a dumpster fire for so long...highlighting bull shit stupid "gimmicks" that make the air force look dumb...so maybe that's what pushed me over the edge.

you and i wouldn't have done something so incredibly stupid either.

to me the oath is sacred and not to be mocked with some stupid sock puppet. and for those of you saying you've seen modifications of the oath i'd submit that taking it in the back (sts) of a c130 or skydiving or on the top of a cliff is different than having a fucking lamb chop sock puppet on your hand.

Edited by BashiChuni

6 minutes ago, BashiChuni said:

you're def not a big pussy lol.

what chaps my ass even more is she is public affairs... and PA has been a dumpster fire for so long...highlighting bull shit stupid "gimmicks" that make the air force look dumb...so maybe that's what pushed me over the edge.

you and i wouldn't have done something so incredibly stupid either.

to me the oath is sacred and not to be mocked with some stupid sock puppet. and for those of you saying you've seen modifications of the oath i'd submit that taking it in the back (sts) of a c130 or skydiving or on the top of a cliff is different than having a fucking lamb chop sock puppet on your hand.

Why?  Why is it different?  Because it's "cooler"?  Because you approve of it?

It wasn't appropriate, but this is not a career-ending offense.  Especially in an Air Force where a chief who drives drunk and kills someone is allowed to retire as a chief, and where a senior officer guilty of massive sexual misconduct and abuse of power was given the same punishment - retire as a Lt Col.

The implication is clear - wrong-doing is only punished if it might cause awkward questions for senior leadership.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3