What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I'm doing about 60 in a 45 on Beale, and go beak-to-beak with a mil cop.  No indication on my radar detector, however. 

I see the brake lights, and he reverses.  I immediately pull over.  

He comes to the window: "Sir, I had you doing 61 in a 45" (I guess he had a good eyeball... pretty accurate).

Me:  "I'd like to see your radar screen, because my radar detector never went off."

Him:  "Sir, radar detectors are not allowed on Beale"

Me:  "While that may be true, I'd like you to explain to my commander... and yours... how you got me doing 61 mph, using an X-band radar that didn't activate my radar detector."

Him (flustered and agitated):  "Have a nice day, sir", and walks off.  

You lucked out. Here at Dyess, having a radar detector is an automatic suspension of driving privileges.

20 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Boolshit. 

If they want to press the search the base magistrate can authorize a no consent search. 

If they don’t want to press the search, or bug the O6, or go thru the hassle, you’ll be released. 

It will take time either way. 

Never consent to a search. 

(Not pyb)

Well, they'll let you leave the base. But they won't let that vehicle back in the base.

Reading this makes my nugget hurt and makes me thankful I'm on a stand alone Guard base.  Knowing almost every SP by name is great...especially when you leave your ID in the computer.  In 17 years on the same base, I have never seen/heard of cars being searched on the way out of base.  Hell they cant even write tickets.   

This just made me all the more pissed off during a recent visit to an AD base. One particular night after a long debrief, I ended up having to play their mickey mouse game of a car search while trying to leave base.  They didn't seem impressed with all the red solo cups of jack n' cokes in the van, but didn't fuck with us for them...so that was nice.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 3

On 3/14/2018 at 5:15 PM, SocialD said:

Reading this makes my nugget hurt and makes me thankful I'm on a stand alone Guard base.  Knowing almost every SP by name is great...especially when you leave your ID in the computer.  In 17 years on the same base, I have never seen/heard of cars being searched on the way out of base.  Hell they cant even write tickets.   

This just made me all the more pissed off during a recent visit to an AD base. One particular night after a long debrief, I ended up having to play their mickey mouse game of a car search while trying to leave base.  They didn't seem impressed with all the red solo cups of jack n' cokes in the van, but didn't fuck with us for them...so that was nice.  

Same here.  16 years between two ANG bases and never been searched leaving the base.

I have, however, been searched getting on the base several times.  The guards say, "Just go ahead and unload your handguns and put them on the front seat.  We won't take them" 

Gotta love the Guard.  Sometimes.

• Like 1

Just got this automated email gem today:

I swear it wasn't 6 months ago I heard AFPC was looking at majors in the 2004/5 STRD timeframe for non-vols.  Now it's '07?  Looks like pick'ns are slim and they're having to jump ahead to source enough folks.

If you check out the 365 list, the 11Gs are damn near all "advisor" roles.. one lucky SOB gets to be an exercise planner at the deid.

Rated Staff 365 day Contingency Deployment Non-Volunteer Sourcing will begin 2 April 2018.

Initially 0-5s with a STRD of 2001 or earlier will be vulnerable.
Initially 0-4s with a STRD of 2007 or earlier will be vulnerable.
Initially 0-3s with a STRD of 2008 or earlier will be vulnerable.

Vulnerability is based on number of Short Tours,Short Tour Return Date (STRD),Overseas Duty Selection Date (ODSD) and Contingency Deployments over 45 days in the last five years, in that order.

Edited by MDDieselPilot

On 3/23/2018 at 3:45 AM, Champ Kind said:

Can someone help me out and explain why the Died needs an exercise planner? Isn’t that a forward deployed base because we execute from there?

"Fight like we train"

How could we possibly demonstrate our ability to accomplish the mission without exercises?

2 hours ago, Seriously said:

"Fight like we train"

How could we possibly demonstrate our ability to accomplish the mission without exercises?

Exercises and OREs..let’s stop doing the actual mission to do a fake exercise to prove to leadership that we can do the mission! 

1 minute ago, dream big said:

Exercises and OREs..let’s stop doing the actual mission to do a fake exercise to prove to leadership that we can do the mission! 

As annoying as it is, there are some missions that need to be practiced to maintain capability, and are not done regularly out there.
Hopefully, the guy running exercises will be able to cut the unnecessary ones...

As for OREs...yeah, that doesn't make sense.

5 minutes ago, raimius said:

As annoying as it is, there are some missions that need to be practiced to maintain capability, and are not done regularly out there.
Hopefully, the guy running exercises will be able to cut the unnecessary ones...

As for OREs...yeah, that doesn't make sense.

True, I’ve just seen time and time again actual missions get axed so guys can participate in b*ttf*ckery like running around in chem gear through decon lines for the fifth time that year. 

Just had a day of local leave (approved by my flt/cc in the sqd on leaveweb) get full up denied in leaveweb because per the FSS Airman in reference to AFI umptifrats, my first-line supervisor needs to approve it.  I've had lots of leave approved through the years and NEVER has it been denied.  Why now??  Isn't it enough that i've spent xx hours defeating comm to get Leaveweb to actually work and let me sign, but now my flt/cc doesn't have the authority to approve my leave?!  :bash:

28 minutes ago, isuguy1234 said:

Just had a day of local leave (approved by my flt/cc in the sqd on leaveweb) get full up denied in leaveweb because per the FSS Airman in reference to AFI umptifrats, my first-line supervisor needs to approve it.  I've had lots of leave approved through the years and NEVER has it been denied.  Why now??  Isn't it enough that i've spent xx hours defeating comm to get Leaveweb to actually work and let me sign, but now my flt/cc doesn't have the authority to approve my leave?!  :bash:

AFI36-3003 4.1.1.2.  Unit Approval Level. Unit commanders are the approval authority for annual leave requests and normally delegate approval to a level no lower than the first-line supervisor.

Supervisor is just the lower-limit of delegation.  Talk to your flt/cc about what happened.  Should be an easy fix.

1 hour ago, isuguy1234 said:

If you guys are the same rank (junior Capt to Flt/CC Senior Capt) then the FSS Airman just sees the same rank and therefore thinks it can't be approved.  Happens a few times in a flying Sq due to all of the Capt/Maj's around.

4 hours ago, Azimuth said:

If you guys are the same rank (junior Capt to Flt/CC Senior Capt) then the FSS Airman just sees the same rank and therefore thinks it can't be approved.  Happens a few times in a flying Sq due to all of the Capt/Maj's around.

And to think, I used to approve my supervisor's leave when I was the assistant flight commander.

6 hours ago, isuguy1234 said:

FSS strikes again! Why the hell does an airman in FSS need to be an approval level for leave? Isn’t this the kind of stuff Goldfingers talked about where we give back power to Squadron Commanders? 

Also not sure which is worse, DTS or Leaveweb.  Filling out a voucher or leave form manually worked just fine back in the day. 

Only enlisted have to be higher ranking than the member taking leave. Any rank officer can approve any other officer’s leave as long as they are the supervisor or above.

41 minutes ago, dream big said:

Also not sure which is worse, DTS or Leaveweb.  Filling out a voucher or leave form manually worked just fine back in the day. 

Administratively, a huge majority of the "advancements" have made it more difficult on the individual, especially part-timers.  

DTS...a coat hangar abortion compared to the old paper vouchers.  I could book my airline ticket/hotel/rental car and get orders cut in a fraction of the time it now takes to just get an auth approved.  

Leaveweb vs 988s...I've honestly never used leaveweb as my AGR time was before leaveweb.  Now any time I take orders (rarely) it's short term ADOS and we still use 988s...super easy, and the FSS doesn't have time to fuck with it because I drop it in a holy joe on the way out the door.  

AROWS vs 105s...for you AD types that's how we get paid as part timers.  It used to take 1 minute...now, depending on how the computers are doing that day, it generally takes 20+ minutes.  It recently got slightly less painful, but all they did was make the ugly baby, slightly less ugly. 

vRED...used to be paper in my mobility folder.  UDMs pulled them as needed and we only updated when we actually had a change.  Now I have to log in (come on network, don't fail me now), update it, print it off (shit new printer server...gotta remap) and turn in...on EVERY tdy!   How is this not automated and no news is good news? 

CBTs...it used to be the man from LOX video once a year (youtube it).  On my last deployment, we couldn't get the powers that be, to get us Link-16...but by God they made damn sure we were all green on our CBTs!

781s/bubble sheets...used to be 2 quick papers.  No we have hope the compute in AFE isn't locked out...Shit it locked out, back to the mercy of the networking gods and hope it's not on it's once daily outages.  Guess I'll log that next month...

Tricare...any Guard bum who regularly goes on/off orders will know what I'm talking about.  Painful, but for $47/month, I'll jump through some hoops.    

2875s...EVERY FUCKING WHERE WE GO!!!!!

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, isuguy1234 said:

Why fix it?

you still get the day off, but don’t have to burn a day of leave. Winning. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah i hear that.  I fought the battle that is putting leave into the system, the system defeated itself...I win!

Flt/CC was the one that originally approved it, std ops, but the Airman decided it was time to exercise his authority.  Blows my mind, but add it to the list of things anyway.

15 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Only enlisted have to be higher ranking than the member taking leave. Any rank officer can approve any other officer’s leave as long as they are the supervisor or above.

Reg?  Also if true, you assume the kid at the FSO knows that (they don't).