What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

21 hours ago, Azimuth said:

What’s wrong with the Air Force?  When O-6’s put focus on shit like enough to put it in a OI.

From McConnell’s OG:

"Use appropiate Wing or OG letterhead for official correspondence.  Use black letterhead for internal correspondence, blue headers for external correspondence."

Who the fuck cares?  Of course the OG at McConnell is the type of guy who wears shirt garters in civilian clothes.

Sadly, I can assure you multiple OGs and wing agencies care. Reference the 70th anniversary shenanigans last year.

8 hours ago, abmwaldo said:

Or the COMSEC form you have to initial 100 times... can't be typed, initials must be filled out in pen. 

I think they do that because of the seriousness of losing COMSEC, but all it does is squarely place blame on the airman when it’s misplaced. It does nothing to actually prevent loss of control. The time filling out that form would be better spent looking each person in the eye and saying, “if you lose one of these books, you’ll get an Art 15 and everyone in the Air Force will have to get new books. Don’t fuck this up.”

7 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

I think they do that because of the seriousness of losing COMSEC, but all it does is squarely place blame on the airman when it’s misplaced. It does nothing to actually prevent loss of control. The time filling out that form would be better spent looking each person in the eye and saying, “if you lose one of these books, you’ll get an Art 15 and everyone in the Air Force will have to get new books. Don’t fuck this up.”

It’s only serious if you’re junior ranking or you’re not a hot chick.  I had a Sq/CC leave his SIPR hard drive in the computer over night, in his unsecured office, after he went home.  Thankfully,his punishment consisted of working at AMC/A3N.

Edited by Azimuth

6 hours ago, Azimuth said:

It’s only serious if you’re junior ranking or you’re not a hot chick.  I had a Sq/CC leave his SIPR hard drive in the computer over night, in his unsecured office, after he went home.  Thankfully,his punishment consisted of working at AMC/A3N.

Can confirm.  Had a LtCol who was exec for a 4-star.  He lost the keyed secure cell-phone in the O Club parking lot...in a foreign country (ok.. it was Ramstein).  I tried to dissuade him, but he "wanted to get used to carrying it for the boss."  Nada happened.

22 hours ago, abmwaldo said:

Or the COMSEC form you have to initial 100 times... can't be typed, initials must be filled out in pen. 

BLACK pen, thank you.

23 hours ago, abmwaldo said:

I got written up for initialing outside the container once, inspector wasn't happy I didn't take him seriously.

Article from WOR on how the AF got slow and below glide slope:

https://warontherocks.com/2018/03/air-force-in-crisis-part-ii-how-did-we-get-here/

Worth a read but a cliff notes of his (Benitez) points:

1. The Air Force Got Too Small (People)

Concur.  

Shoot to eliminate redundancy at the top first to save resources to build the base.  More Indians, less Chiefs.  Cut GO billets in half, Cut O-6 billets in half, etc... look for possible deferments in promotion with targeted retention bonus in critical career fields.  Career Fields not just critically manned but critical to the military mission(s) of the AF.

2. The Air Force Got Too Small (Airplanes)

Concur.

While not addressed in this section of his article, it touches on morale which appears in several sections as it affects everything, an RPA companion aircraft, discussed ad nauseam and requirement is self-evident for airmanship and morale.  He addresses 4th gen recapitilization, makes the argument for new 4th gen versus refurbished aircraft, better aircraft, better industrial base strategic utilization, better aircraft at about the same cost, agreed.  Investigate a resurgence of a few good deal / golden apple programs to strategically retain key personnel, provide a solution to a requirement and ideally retain selected individuals for the full career.  LAAR acquisition in respectable fleet size, ADAIR in desirable locales, flying graduate enrichment programs open to crew/single seat aviators as instructors, etc...

I would also not forget about the support folks also, instead of emphasizing in-residence PME, I would look at expanded civilian career education opportunities for them with self-selection of schools/programs to be considered.

3. The Air Force Got Too Small (Lethality)

Semi-concur.

Argues for shorter rotations to AORs, 4 months preferred to 6 months, for a several valid reasons (experience distribution, QoL, etc..) and I concur but not concurring with looking to Navy / USMC for assistance in the Aerospace Control Alert Mission.  They're tapped out anyway and don't like the idea of ceding mission.  Internal redistribution of resources to expand capability in core missions seems better, resources from where in the AF is the sticky part (sts)...

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Like 1

Having to stop for 15 min, after the end of a long-ass day, to have my vehicle inspected while LEAVING the base. 

Yeah, never understood that and it always pissed me off because they always stop me when I’m running late for something.

Yeah, never understood that and it always pissed me off because they always stop me when I’m running late for something.

If they are stopping people leaving base it is probably due to an alarm somewhere like the pharmacy or other area of concern.

54 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

If they are stopping people leaving base it is probably due to an alarm somewhere like the pharmacy or other area of concern.

No, totally random. 50 cars will go by, then they just mosey into traffic and wave some poor soul to the side. 

I got stopped leaving one time and they asked if I would consent and responded “since you are asking, what if i say no?”. Apparently they revoke your base driving privileges.

Boolshit. 

If they want to press the search the base magistrate can authorize a no consent search. 

If they don’t want to press the search, or bug the O6, or go thru the hassle, you’ll be released. 

It will take time either way. 

Never consent to a search. 

(Not pyb)

• Like 1

Boolshit. 
If they want to press the search the base magistrate can authorize a no consent search. 
If they don’t want to press the search, or bug the O6, or go thru the hassle, you’ll be released. 
(Not pyb)
Was told by a cop once that civilians would be denied from base... Mil article 92 or something similar for "failure to obey the instructions of a sentry" or something similar. Not a JAG but sounds sketchy for forced consent. They do have the right to search for force protection per the standard base signage but unknown how that interacts with the search/consent/admissibility deal.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, pelexecute said:

Having to stop for 15 min, after the end of a long-ass day, to have my vehicle inspected while LEAVING the base. 

Had that happen to me once at Bitburg back about 1986ish. Dead ass tired after working mid-shift getting jets ready to fly finally headed home and got tagged for an exit inspection at the gate.  So sky cop with his big-ass dog start ‘inspecting’ my vehicle.  Fido alerts on something under the driver’s seat and the cop has one of those “got ya’ looks on his face for his first ‘kill’ of the day.  I’m freaking out.  Cop reaches under the seat and finds… a half-eaten bag of Oreo’s. The now pissed-off and hugely disappointed cop slaps his faithful K-9 on its nugget and cuts me lose…   Good times.

• Upvote 1

Had my work laptop on the passenger seat when I got stopped once.  Amn Snuffy reading from his clipboard "Sir, the reason we stopped you [lots of words] searching for contraband, government property...[more words]...do you understand the briefing?"  Yes, go bananas {while I stand there checking FB on my phone}.  

Search over.  "Sir you are free to go."   Uuuuuhhhhh, can you read me that part about what you're looking for again?  "[words]...government property...[words]" . Ok, so...nuthin?  No?  You sure?  Final answer?  Hokay then, deuces!

No shit.  Bradley Manning could have been driving off base with the motherload.  Theater.

• Like 1

I pulled out of the base gas station one day and TSgt Snuffy passes me going the opposite direction as I took a drink from the bottle I just purchased at the shopette.  I immediately hear a siren and look back to see him powerslide his patrol car, fishtail his cruiser on the shoulder with dirt, rocks, and grass flying everywhere.  Lights blazing he comes raging up behind me so I pull over.  He nearly runs to my side of the car and starts yelling, "I got you Sirrrrrr, I got you!" Ummmm Huh? You got me doing what TSgt?  "I got you drinking and driving Sirrrrrrrr, I saw you drinking that beer you have in your lap!!#%^$*"  I take a deep breath and reply "Hey Sargeeeeee, do you mean this ROOT beer?  He looked at the bottle three times, his head rocking sideways like a confused dog.  He didn't say another work, he just walked away.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, magnetfreezer said:
5 hours ago, HossHarris said:
Boolshit. 
(Not pyb)

Was told by a cop once that civilians would be denied from base... Mil article 92 or something similar for "failure to obey the instructions of a sentry" or something similar. Not a JAG but sounds sketchy for forced consent. They do have the right to search for force protection per the standard base signage but unknown how that interacts with the search/consent/admissibility deal.

Yes, everyone on base is subject to search. Big sign out front says so. 

However, airman 60 IQ is not vested with the authority to make a non-consensual search outside very specific situations. That authority is delegated to the base magistrate .... a hat that rotates amongst O6s. 

Ask a Jag...or call the law enforcement desk (SF ops desk) and inquire (it’s a number you should have in your phone anyway)

I'm doing about 60 in a 45 on Beale, and go beak-to-beak with a mil cop.  No indication on my radar detector, however. 

I see the brake lights, and he reverses.  I immediately pull over.  

He comes to the window: "Sir, I had you doing 61 in a 45" (I guess he had a good eyeball... pretty accurate).

Me:  "I'd like to see your radar screen, because my radar detector never went off."

Him:  "Sir, radar detectors are not allowed on Beale"

Me:  "While that may be true, I'd like you to explain to my commander... and yours... how you got me doing 61 mph, using an X-band radar that didn't activate my radar detector."

Him (flustered and agitated):  "Have a nice day, sir", and walks off.  

• Upvote 4